Yikes - PS3 is EXPENSIVE

Don

I agree and understand with what you are saying but Microsoft announced at their conference that the next GTA will be exclusive to the 360...another blow to Sony....with the lower price of the 360 and the lower price plus innovation and gameplayability of the Wii, Sony is really going to struggle this time around if you ask me....and that will go double to whatever system loses the battle of the new dvd (blu ray or HD DVD)....luckily Wii is about being a gaming console and not a dvd player...

I just don't get the whole doubling as a DVD Player scheme. Does anyone really use their Xbox or PS2 as a DVD player? I know I have a separate DVD player for when I want to watch movies. It works much better.

Sony put all their eggs in this basket and it's balancing very precariously. But then again...it is Sony. So it wouldn't surprise me if they do a double blackflip and still end up with every egg completely intact. They know this market very well.

But $600 uh no...I'm gonna get myself a $300 Premium 360 come November.

hrm... i just bought a cell phone for $500 :tomato: (sony ericsson)

anyways, if the technology breaks through that sony hopes for I'll buy one when it happens (by then the price ought to have dropped)

I just don't get buying technology that cannot be used yet, i really don't

so... well, I'd get on of these if they give value for the money. i just don't see it. will probably buy a 360 instead, or maybe a pc ( just bought a new laptop that won't play the new HOMMV :evilcry: ) now and see what happens in the future

'end incoherent rant'

the reason its so expensive is because of the blu ray technology. a blu ray player by itself will be almost this much money if not more, much like when ps2 was the cheapest way to get a dvd player at $300. hd dvd players now are $500. the $500 ps3 has no hdmi output and can only got up to 1080i no 1080p, so it is actually worth it to pay hte 6 rather than the 5. overall, sony will have a better game lineup long run imo and the wii also looks to be on the right track this time, much better than gamcube.

I just don't get the whole doubling as a DVD Player scheme. Does anyone really use their Xbox or PS2 as a DVD player? I know I have a separate DVD player for when I want to watch movies. It works much better.

to speak for myself, up until i got a laptop last summer, my ps2 has been the only DVD player i've ever owned. i think it was great hindsight by sony to be the only console to be a straight out of the box DVD player, because althought the format was starting to hit, there were still reservations, i mean we dont see the pumpage of dvd's back then like we do now, so alot of gamers that were conservatively getting into DVD's made their choice alot easier i think to go for it, especially when the first price drop came about.

but unlike then, blu-ray is new, and not many people know about it, and i doubt it's going to catch on. they need to fall back on their software badly, even moreso then the initial release of the ps2. i mean with all the success ps2 has, when it first came out it was a near disaster. maybe they'll accidentally rise to the top again

Ok, yeah you're right...i misread the press release...my bad

You guys scared the hell out of me with the idea of no GTA, because I will NEVER buy an X-box.... Uncle Bill has ENOUGH of my money :P

the reason its so expensive is because of the blu ray technology. a blu ray player by itself will be almost this much money if not more, much like when ps2 was the cheapest way to get a dvd player at $300. hd dvd players now are $500. the $500 ps3 has no hdmi output and can only got up to 1080i no 1080p, so it is actually worth it to pay hte 6 rather than the 5. overall, sony will have a better game lineup long run imo and the wii also looks to be on the right track this time, much better than gamcube.

That's not all it's missing. It also is not going to have Memory Stick, SD or Compact Flash reading capability or WiFi support. The HDMI is a huge issue of course...but the lack of features will definitely be the driving force for the $600 PS3.

On a side-note, the blu-ray drive is also the reason that Sony delayed the PS3 so long. The price drop in Blu-ray technology that is supposed to occur near the end of this year is the only reason that the PS3 is not costing in excess of $1000.

to speak for myself, up until i got a laptop last summer, my ps2 has been the only DVD player i've ever owned. i think it was great hindsight by sony to be the only console to be a straight out of the box DVD player, because althought the format was starting to hit, there were still reservations, i mean we dont see the pumpage of dvd's back then like we do now, so alot of gamers that were conservatively getting into DVD's made their choice alot easier i think to go for it, especially when the first price drop came about.

but unlike then, blu-ray is new, and not many people know about it, and i doubt it's going to catch on. they need to fall back on their software badly, even moreso then the initial release of the ps2. i mean with all the success ps2 has, when it first came out it was a near disaster. maybe they'll accidentally rise to the top again

But remember when they first came out...they had Playstation to build off of. Xbox had nothing.

Now there's a fanbase for both.

As for Blu-Ray catching on...I don't know. Sony has its ways...and with HD becoming insanely popular. You can't watch HD movies on standard DVDs...but you can watch them on a Blu-Ray.

You guys scared the hell out of me with the idea of no GTA, because I will NEVER buy an X-box.... Uncle Bill has ENOUGH of my money :P

*DING* *DING* *DING* And *THAT* is the *RIGHT* answer.

Actually Bill has very little of my money..... I haven't bought anything Microsoft since Windows 95.

I don't look for the 360 to have a price drop at all....rather i see them installing the HD DVD player they've been talking about in it without increasing the price....but as a Nintendo backer and an owner of a regular DVD player I would rather spend my money (which Nintendo is now saying anywhere from $99 - $199) on a system with intuitive, innovative gameplay....that and Twighlight Princess, Super Smash Bros, Madden, and Mario Galaxy are going to kick @$$!!! Plus don't forget the Wii will come with Wi-Fi ability, 4 gamecube controller slots, two gamecube memory card slots, backwards compatability with gamecube games, two SD memory slots, 2 USB slots, and access to a "virtual console" that houses 20 years of NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, and Turbo Graphix 16 games!!! All at that aformentioned low low price!!! (of course I'm sure the "virtual console" will end up with a small monthly fee)

and access to a "virtual console" that houses 20 years of NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, and Turbo Graphix 16 games!!! All at that aformentioned low low price!!! (of course I'm sure the "virtual console" will end up with a small monthly fee)

Anyone remember the Sega Channel? It was this service that the cable company offered where they gave you an adapter that was hooked up to the cable and it went into the cartridge slot, and you could play whatever was in their library that month (they rotated games in and out every month, though some would stick around longer) as much as you wanted for a low monthly fee. Man, that right there was the sh!t. :koolaid:

I don't look for the 360 to have a price drop at all....rather i see them installing the HD DVD player they've been talking about in it without increasing the price....but as a Nintendo backer and an owner of a regular DVD player I would rather spend my money (which Nintendo is now saying anywhere from $99 - $199) on a system with intuitive, innovative gameplay....that and Twighlight Princess, Super Smash Bros, Madden, and Mario Galaxy are going to kick @$$!!! Plus don't forget the Wii will come with Wi-Fi ability, 4 gamecube controller slots, two gamecube memory card slots, backwards compatability with gamecube games, two SD memory slots, 2 USB slots, and access to a "virtual console" that houses 20 years of NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, and Turbo Graphix 16 games!!! All at that aformentioned low low price!!! (of course I'm sure the "virtual console" will end up with a small monthly fee)

The HD-DVD separate player is going to be a USB attachment. It's aready been mentioned. Plus, it's going to have a price point of $199-$250. Additionally, the sole purpose of it is to play movies. Its not going to have any effect on gameplay whatsoever. Again, already mentioned.

As for the Virtual Console, all the additional games will be available for d/l for either a monthly fee for a set number of games or at a set price per game depending on the system. It hasn't been decided. I agree that the Wii is probably the most intriguing system to come out in a long time. But again, I hope that it's not screwed because of its ingenuity. Their whole "everyone in the family can play" approach is great...but let's face it...does grandma really want to play Nintendo?

I don't know for sure if the 360 will have a price drop, but it's a heavily discussed underground rumor that's being talked about. And the timing would be perfect. Plus there have been clues dropped from certain members of microsoft...but of course they won't really mention anything for sure because then everyone will just wait until the price drop to buy it. You could be completely right, UD, but I have a feeling it'll happen just as a way to kick Sony in the balls during the first shipment of PS3s. Especially because they'll be so scarce for the holiday season...a half price X360 will be a very appealing second alternative.

The HD-DVD separate player is going to be a USB attachment. It's aready been mentioned. Plus, it's going to have a price point of $199-$250. Additionally, the sole purpose of it is to play movies. Its not going to have any effect on gameplay whatsoever. Again, already mentioned.

I could be completely wrong as I've heard a few different rumors concerning this but I just don't see this happening....Microsoft has never been the type of company to allow the user to choose what they want to buy (i.e. every pc you buy is preinstalled with several Microsoft programs; Windows, Office....and now later version games only working on the new Windows Vista OS) I just really don't see it as a USB attachment that won't have something that is needed to enhance or play the games more properly....I see it, as I said before, being more in the style of something you need to buy or something that will already be implemented with later versions of the console....again, I could be wrong, but keeping with Microsoft's track record, I could be just as right....because as has been said before the reason for HD DVD players not being added into the 360 at launch had everything to do with them not being ready and Microsof wanting to get the jump on competition more than a problem with the pricing....again, just my two cents...

I don't really believe this will be the downfall of Sony with them having two versions of the PS3 equal to that of what the X360 currently has. One being $499 20GB and $599 60GB. As stated before Sony has always been great about having excellent 3rd party support and 1st party support.

I was keeping a heavy track on E3 this year, watching some of the updates on the games in development coming out for each console respectively, and my thoughts are, that the PS3 is an amazing console as is the Wii. I'm not loyal to any company, I enjoy them all equally, though the Gamecube was a dissapointment as it basically had ports of games already released on the PS2 or Xbox and it didn't really have any good exclusives except Super Smash Bros. (I'm currently drooling over Smash Brothers Brawl)

Nintendo really does have something on their hands here as this could be something great or it could suck majorly and hurt them as the GameCube did, which is selling for $99, I last heard?

I also think I read in an article that the price for the Wii was accidentally revealed and it hasn't been confirmed, but I heard it might be around $249, I believe. Either way, I don't think I'll be getting an X360 until Halo 3 comes out, as I was a big fan of the past two. My first choices however, are the PS3 and Nintendo Wii. :)

(i'm big in the console gaming thing as well, I don't play PC games at all).)

also think I read in an article that the price for the Wii was accidentally revealed and it hasn't been confirmed, but I heard it might be around $249, I believe.

Forbes has a Sega VP quoted as saying Nintendo told him that the Wii would retail for under $200....I've never seen any rumor or anything otherwise stating a price above $200....as I posted before there are even debates as to whether it could go as low as $99....but more likely in the $149 - $199 range....

I could be completely wrong as I've heard a few different rumors concerning this but I just don't see this happening....Microsoft has never been the type of company to allow the user to choose what they want to buy (i.e. every pc you buy is preinstalled with several Microsoft programs; Windows, Office....and now later version games only working on the new Windows Vista OS) I just really don't see it as a USB attachment that won't have something that is needed to enhance or play the games more properly....I see it, as I said before, being more in the style of something you need to buy or something that will already be implemented with later versions of the console....again, I could be wrong, but keeping with Microsoft's track record, I could be just as right....because as has been said before the reason for HD DVD players not being added into the 360 at launch had everything to do with them not being ready and Microsof wanting to get the jump on competition more than a problem with the pricing....again, just my two cents...

http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/05/09/xbox-360-hd-dvd-player/

It's already done. It's a separate attachment. It'll be out for the holidays. Even if Microsoft wanted to do it internally they couldn't they'd be screwing everyone that already bought a 360. They are probably going to be doing new premium packages that come with the HD-DVD player...but the big thing is that it has no purpose gaming wise. Like I said before...it's strictly for movies.