Champions League Final

Jimmy Leeds

Anyone catch the brutal ending to the Arsenal/Barcelona match?

Barcelona get two, 76* & 81* minutes, after the Gunners played with 10 from the 20* on. Arsenal scored in the 37* and tried to hold on for dear life.

Hopefully Henry resigns with the Gunners.

Shameful officiating.

Keepers should NOT get red carded when they take a guy down......a yellow should be the penalty, a red is just too harsh.

I watched it, of course... big event in Europe.

It was a tight game at first with Henry missing 2 good chances early.

Then, Ronaldinho sent Eto'o all alone and Lehmann hit him just outside the box.

The referee blew his whistle instead of letting the play go (Giuly scored but the goal was disallowed) and gave a red card to the goalkeeper because he was the last defender.

It was stupid. He should have keep the goal and give a yellow card...

Arsenal played at 10 vs 11 guys but still managed to score a header by Campbell, on a free kick by Henry. The referee made another mistake on that because there was a huge dive on the play and no foul.

Arsenal then goes to defense the whole game, suffocating on Barcelona attack (which was a little slow vs the other games). Eto'o had a huge play but the new GK, Almunia, made a save and the ball went off the post.

In the 2nd half, Arsenal was so tired... Henry missed a counter attack with a good save by Valdez. Then, after a few saves by Almunia, Barcelona managed to tie the game by Eto'o with a nice pass by Larsson, who just entered on the pitch as a substitute. Eto'o nearly went offside but the goal stood with a short angle shot, Almunia wasn't sharp.

He wasn't either on the 2nd goal by d-man Belleti, who was also a substitute. He accepted a good pass by Larsson (again) in the box and made a short angle shot near the 6-foot box, just between the legs of the GK.

Arsenal finished the game very, very tired after defending so much... Logical win, but the ref was still awful...

Good analysis.

Almunia played brilliant, especially the save on Eto'o in first half injury time. He was too far back on his line on the first goal against, which cost him. The second goal I do not fault him. As a former college keeper, I gave up my fair share between the legs.

Arsenal cried offside about the first goal, but, even being a Gunner supporter, I thought he was onside. And good point, the Arsenal goal was off a free kick on a phantom foul.

The refereeing was lacking in this important match.

I been away but caught the game on TIVO last night-- of couse I woke up when the Barca guys were receiving their medals so I'll have to watch again. That being said Arse was lucky to have made to the finals.. sorry Jimmy I know theyre your team...

Lucky?

Geez, they had ten straight clean sheets before the final.

The funniest thing about the whole deal was I never knew Jens Lehmann was German!

He got the nod over Kahn to start for my Father-In-Law Land (Mein Freu is Deutsch)

Edited by Jimmy Leeds

Lucky?

Geez, they had ten straight clean sheets before the final.

did you see the penalty Riquelme missed in the final minute of the semis ? lucky I say

As far as 'Dinho being dissapointing , he led them to 2 straight league wins and a champions -- not to mention to a flawless qualifier for Brasil