Sharks Will Be Dealing

sundstrom

Little things lead to big turnover in San Jose

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Al Morganti

Special to ESPN.com

The San Jose Sharks management team learned a big lesson this season.

"What we have learned is that every little thing matters," said San Jose general manager Dean Lombardi on Friday.

What little things? General manager Dean Lombardi won't say. But one thing is clear: the Sharks locker room has become just that -- a locker room of sharks. And the general manager has his first chance to clear the bloody water from now until the March 11 trade deadline.

Speaking with several members of the Sharks organization, and some who have been associated with it in the past, it appears Lombardi's job is safe. However, so much maneuvering has to be done by San Jose that it is easy to see anybody falling aside.

"We haven't been on this side of the trading deadline in the recent past," said Lombardi, who is used to being a buyer, rather than a seller in March. "You have to look at your roster, and figure out is now the best time to do something, or do you wait?

"We obviously have some players who will be valuable to teams. I don't have to make any calls, I'm getting plenty of them."

For all the problems this season, the Sharks have always made thoughtful and, for the most part, successful moves. Although a recent ranking of prospects makes the future look dim, it should also be noted that the Sharks have already promoted most of their past highly-regarded prospects, and they are now in what should be the benefit period, which makes this season all the harder to swallow.

Lombardi is being second- and third-guessed for his hard line stance during contract negotiations with goalie Evgeni Nabokov when the season began, and to a lesser extent defenseman Brad Stuart.

"It's pretty clear that teams can have trouble when you have guys not in camp, not there early," said Lombardi.

But even at that, there was the quick finger on the button of coach Darryl Sutter.

"Things just weren't right, and we could see they were not getting any better," said Lombardi, who then made the curious decision to bring in Ron Wilson -- a motivational coach who had brought the Washington Capitals to the finals in 1998, and also coached Teemu Selanne in Anaheim.

But the Sharks locker room is not one that responds well to Wilson's motivational techniques, at least not as it is constituted. And that is why captain Owen Nolan is likely to be a trade-deadline casualty.

Reading between the lines, it appears there is an eight-player pool of veterans about whom Lombardi is taking calls for deals. In addition to Nolan, who is of great interest to the Leafs and Flyers, there is also interest in Bryan Marchment, Dan McGillis, Vincent Damphousse, Mike Ricci and Scott Thornton (Ottawa keeps calling), along with Selanne -- who will likely become a target of the New Jersey Devils.

Although Nolan's contract is supposed to be a huge hurdle for teams because of a lock-out clause, which ensures he gets paid if there is a work stoppage, a couple of scouts have indicated that the money is not as big an issue as reported. In fact, given Nolan's huge upside -- when he is interested and motivated, as he could be with a contender right now -- he could be the best bet to push a team over the top, far better than Zigmund Palffy or Jarome Iginla.

"If you are looking for right now, win it THIS season, I think Nolan could bring that to a team quickly," one scout said. "Remember, if this guy gets cranked up he can just be a dominating player. And being in that Cup race would be the perfect situation."

The Sharks would like a player such as injured (knee) young forward Justin Williams from the Flyers for Nolan. So far, that price has been too high. However, Lombardi might be in a unique position of helping an Eastern Conference team with one veteran, thus driving up the price of Nolan for another team. For example, if Thornton goes to Ottawa, or Selanne to New Jersey, will the price become greater for Nolan to the Leafs and Flyers?

So, Lombardi will continue to answer the calls, and the only panic will occur if the right moves aren't set in motion over the next few weeks and the caller ID belongs to the club's ownership.

I'd like Lou to be the first one in before the price goes up on the other players. I'd hate for Ottawa or Philly to make the first move and then have the price go up on whoever the Devils are looking at. If Williams is currently too high for Nolan, then I'd imagine that Berglund/Gionta/Pick would probably get Owen here, but I honestly think that Selanne is a better fit here.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember the speculation of Selanne arriving here over the summer?

Selanne'd be nice here, but I don't think he's what we need on the top line with Gomez and Elias... that would be a powerforward with some skill.

But if we can land Selanne for not very much, I think it'd be worth the gamble.

Not getting my hopes up for this deal though. Like I've said before, I'm done trying to predict what Lou will do.

I don't think so, sammy, I never heard that.. Selanne wasn't available in 2000 anyway.

Selanne is a player clearly on the decline. He has had some injury trouble, and what got him the big money are his skates. He is not as fast as he was in 92-93. He is not a very tough player, either. He leads the Sharks in points, but obviously he's still talented.

Would he work with Elias and Gomez? Perhaps. If Gomez is on his game, his playmaking abilities should be able to make up for some of the troubles this line will obviously have down low. But this line would make Elias the grinder. Gomez would also have to return to his old form where he was chippy and tough to muscle the puck away from.

Brooks mentions him today also.

I think the lines would have to be changed if Selanne came to New Jersey. But I don't think he makes all that much sense.. this team has heart, and with Selanne, it would have goal scoring prowess.. but the Devs need someone who can grind it out in the corners.

There's a team opiton on Selanne for next year and the $$ isn't that bad (around $5M). He still has plenty of talent. He's not great on the boards, but he doesn't run from contact either. He's effective on the powerplay as well and if he's gonna upgrade the bicek/gionta/berglund part of our team without costing us a ton, I'm all for it.

I'm agreeing with Tri here...It's not like we need the number one man on the list of snipers, so I think it's very plausible that we can acquire Selanne.

With that being said, is Selanne still the answer, or is there someone a few knotches down the ladder that we can go after?

I'll still go by the idea that if it won't take a lot to get him, then I'm open to it...and at that, I don't think it'll take much to get him right now.