Devils interested in Schneider?

Candydog

He's too expensive in that we can't fit him under the cap, so we can't give the ducks the cap relief they need to bring neidermayer aboard. The only way we could get him is if we gave back comparable salary which is contrary to the entire idea behind a salary dump. The only way to make it work is a three way deal.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the reactions to things like this: everything from "that guys sucks" to "that guy is a savior" to "trade Elias/Parise for him."

Honestly - to me, this has to fall into the oft-talked of category of "I wish," as Lou Lams has more than once said of rumors that have no truth. If you can fit a guy into your roster like Schneider, YOU DO. Simple as that. That said, you also don't mortgage your future and gut your team, and in this world, cap number is a huge consideration.

I said early on that NJ needs a stud defenseman if they plan to get far into the playoffs, and despite the winning streak, I still believe that.

While I don't personally believe this rumor has much to it, I think NJ would definitely do it if they could without having to give up certain entities. Obviously, Parise is untouchable. Is Zajac untouchable? I don't know. For NJ, it's all about the cup. If they truly believed they could win it with Schneider and with Zajac, I think they'd do it. But I think that's unlikely.

I think it's more realistic to think about Paul Martin (if we're talking "what ifs"). Martin makes 4 or so, and the Devs have 3 to spare. So they send a prospect or draft choice to DET (who wants cap room, not players), they get Schneider, then trade Martin to another team for a prospect or draft choice. I'd rather have Schneider, who actually knows how to run the PP, who can actually score 50 pts, and who isn't bad at D either than Martin. I do like Martin and am pleased to watch him progress, but to be honest, Schneider is a bonafide all-star. Martin isn't even close.

At any rate, this rumor seems highly unlikely, but that's what I'd try to do if it seemed possible, and I do think it'd be worth it.

Schneider for Martin is a lateral move at best. Mathieu is overrated as a defender and has been for about 12 years now. He takes too many penalties. And while Schneider is clearly better than Martin, he's also more injury prone - and you've got to factor for several missed games.

However, Schneider can almost fit under the cap as is, and the Devils could shuffle Rachunek's contract anywhere to fit Schneider. Rachunek's a +13, the Devils might even get a 3rd round pick thanks to that lucky break.

I don't see a move that gets rid of Paul Martin as plausable. sure, he's not the greatest, but he is still developing and is young - an dthat was the whole point of his contract - escalating development. I sLou slowly realizing that "D" men don't come for under $5mil any more - I don't know? Does he realize that the "kids" on the ice right now are not going to be consistent all year - and hold up until April - I don't know?

Schneider is great but he is definately injury prone - he already missed the first part of the season in Anaheim because of an injury in the preseason. I guess the question is - will there be anything better/more affordable in the FA pool this time round? I will say that Lou and Brent seem to be constructing for the "future" so I think the age thing might be a big factor.

Or....perhaps does Lou want to bring a vet in to school the group of developing D for a few years?

If we are talking about "youth" - what about Beauchmin? - he's the most solid "bang fo the buck" on that team, and would be a steal for any team.

If the Ducks move Perry they will be in tough shape - they NEED offense, the HAVE D - and he would be a big loss for them. I see them doing somthing with a D that results in more offense for them.

Hmmm......... :whistling:

Schneider for Martin puts the Devils further back than they are now. Schneider won't be nearly that expensive either. Ducks are strapped, and will have to sell him off for pennies, especially given his contract. Ilya Bryzgalov, a pretty good goalie with a very low salary, was waived because Burke couldn't find any suitors (at least ones that would give up anything of value). What makes anyone think Schneider will garner a big return?