US Troops Mutiny in Iraq

Camden28

'Army Times' U.S. Troop 'Mutiny' in Iraq

By Greg Mitchell

Published: December 16, 2007 8:20 PM ET

NEW YORK While violence is down in Iraq, Americans continue to die and fall badly wounded, and suffer severe stress and trauma caused by 15-month tours of duty. A remarkable article on Friday in the Army Times is titled: "Not us. We

I think the best call would have been to dissolve the entire platoon and reassign the personnel to different units. These troops are exhausted and at the very least, need to get with different faces so they can think about something besides their lost buddies.

This kind of war is incredibly onerous. Its not like there is a front where the enemy is attacking or not. Its 24/7/365, and I'll bet most of these guys are on their 3rd tour of duty. F*** Rumsfeld.

The soldiers that refuse to follow orders should get dishonorably discharged...end of story. If you didn't want to go fight a war, you shouldn't have joined the army. If I'm told to go something at work and I don't do it, I get fired. Same for these soldiers. Yes, it's a terrible war and yes, I can understand the mental strain that goes along with it but that's what you signed up for.

The soldiers that refuse to follow orders should get dishonorably discharged...end of story. If you didn't want to go fight a war, you shouldn't have joined the army. If I'm told to go something at work and I don't do it, I get fired. Same for these soldiers. Yes, it's a terrible war and yes, I can understand the mental strain that goes along with it but that's what you signed up for.

Yea but I think they joined the army expecting that if they were ever sent to war it would be to defend their country.

The National Guardsmen from each state didn't sign up for an invasion of another country.

The National Guardsmen from each state didn't sign up for an invasion of another country.

Yes they did. From Wikipedia...

The National Guard of the United States is a reserve component of the United States Army (the Army National Guard) and the United States Air Force (the Air National Guard). Both are maintained through the National Guard Bureau, a semi-independent subordinate entity of the United States Department of Defense, whose chief is a lieutenant general.

Army National Guard units are trained and equipped as part of the U.S. Army; likewise, Air National Guard units are trained and equipped as part of the US Air Force. Both are expected to adhere to the same moral and physical standards as their "full-time" Federal counterparts. The same ranks and insignia are used and National Guardsmen are eligible to receive all United States military awards. The National Guard also bestows a number of state awards for local services rendered in a service member's home state.

They signed up, were called into service by our government and are held to the same standards as Army regulars. If somebody signed up for the National Guard just for something to do on the weekends, that's their fault.

No more than likely they will not be just discharged but be charged with failure to follow

orders or disobeying orders. Mutiny charges receive a much harsher punishment.

It's been a long time since I read any of the UCMJ. We covered some at MP school

but that was almost 20 yrs ago. Now I feel old.

During training and times of peace just a Dishonorable would probably happen but

given they are at war I doubt it.

Yes they did. From Wikipedia...

They signed up, were called into service by our government and are held to the same standards as Army regulars. If somebody signed up for the National Guard just for something to do on the weekends, that's their fault.

Ouch.

They didn't sign up to have their sanity taken from them.

I can agree with you on that one. I'm not saying the Army is perfect...far from it. If a soldier is really losing it, they shouldn't be in the field. However, when you sign up to be in the military, you have a duty to your country to uphold. Unfortunately, you don't get to pick where you fight or when you can leave. Just how it is.

At a certain level of casualties, it is pretty common for a military unit to simply become ineffective. Casualties includes wounded as well as killed and MIA. I recall a number of 20-25%. The article didn't indicate which platoons had lost the ten troops KIA. Its just sad that these guys keep getting ground down by this war.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.