Done deal: Flames re-sign Phaneuf

Devil Fan

Why? Because he could have gotten more from a team desperate enough to throw money (and picks) around like there is no tomorrow (like KLowe in Edmonton)? You can either play for a team that competes and take a little less in the process or you can demand the max and play for a bottom feeder. It's entirely your choice. I'm pretty sure that Zach Parise could have gotten more than what Lou paid him, so why didn't he wait for an offer sheet either?

Yes, but if he would have gotten the max then the Flames would have 3,5 million less to sign other players to stay competitive. :doh1:

Iginla would have gotten more if he tested free agency, Regehr could have gotten more and Kiprusoff would have gotten more in the free market, but each of them took a little less for the team. And compared to players like Niklas Lidstrom (cap hit 7.45), Chris Pronger (cap hit 6.25) or Scott Niedermayer (cap hit 6.75) I'd say he is paid very well.

Edited by devils26

I realize that if he asked for the max the Flames would have 3.5 mil less to sign players, but I don't think 3.5 mil will turn a team from a competitor to a bottomfeeder. That is the only thing I was trying to say.

Also, the way you said it, you made it sound like if Phaneuf had demanded the max contract, then he would have to leave the Flames. You didn't clarify that by comparing two different types of teams, you meant the Flames could be transformed into either type due to Phaneuf's contract, as opposed to their actually being two different teams.

Actually I did mean two different teams (and not that the Flames would transfer to a bottom feeder) because once you sign an offer sheet you have no guarantee that your team will really match it. I'm pretty sure that Penner also hoped that Burke would match Edmonton's offer sheet.

Yes, there is a good possibility that Calgary would match even a 10 millions offer sheet but there is no guarantee to it (plus this would also mean that Phaneuf would be the best paid Flame and while he will probably be the future of the franchise, right now Iggy is the face of the Flames and not Phaneuf).

Personally I just think that Don Meehan has more knowledge of the game and the business side of it than any poster of an internet message board. I'm pretty sure he knows what he does (or he wouldn't act for 13 of this years All Stars).