African American players

RunninWithTheDevil

I just wanted to hear everyones thoughts on why you think there are so few African American players in the NHL. The Devils now have 3 African American players. I think it's strange how some sports are really race-divided, such as how Basketball is prominently a black sport, as hockey is prominently a white sport.

its and expensive sport as a young kid, buying pads and such. and, not to be racist, if you look at the statistics there is a larger percent of poor african americans that there is whites.plus if you look at there living situation the morjority of african americans live in urban areas wich is harder to have a hockey rink than to have a bastket ball court

African.....Canadian??

:)

Seriously though...some things work well for people when they don't for others...you could start a huge debate on genetics, culture, geographic, and whatever else...pretty much Dadds nailed the primary reasons....

I just wanted to hear everyones thoughts on why you think there are so few African American players in the NHL. The Devils now have 3 African American players. I think it's strange how some sports are really race-divided, such as how Basketball is prominently a black sport, as hockey is prominently a white sport.

You can also take into consideration that the pro game just isn't that popular in this country. Combine that with the low number of current black NHLers and you're left with very few black role models in a sport with low visibility. You don't hear black children saying, "I want to be the next Jarome Iginla," nearly as often as you hear, "I want to be the next LeBron James/Ryan Howard/LaDainian Tomlinson/whoever."

Pro hockey definitely does not have much skin color diversity, but to say it's not racially diverse is incorrect. The NHL may be the MOST diverse league of the major four in the U.S. In what other pro game do you have teams where the non-English speakers equal or outnumber the English-speakers? It just so happens that almost all of the multitudes of races in the NHL are predominantly white.

I think Chris Rock said blacks don't play hockey because ice rinks are too damn cold for a people that came from Africa. :D

Seriously, it's an economics thing. When I was growing up my brothers hockey team was 100% white while my baseball team was 60% black. Registration for hockey was hundreds of dollars and you needed to buy gear on top of that. Baseball registration was $40 and the only thing you needed was a glove and a cup.