Greene out four to six weeks with broken hand

Coorslight

With all due respect SD...

I know I'm one of Andy's critics, and I'll admit he seemes to be showing signs of a better season ....BUT....

LETS GET OUR FEET BACK ON THE GROUND....

Salvadore is the SOLE reason this defence is somewhat improved from last year. As a "defensman" this guy does it all. Right now he's our #1 and Sutter's penchant for his ice time shows this.

Secondly, you can't evaluate a Defenseive roster based on 1 game.

Many here forget what the term "defenseman" means in the new NHL. Protect the net, don't give up clean shots, clean the crease, BE PHYSICAL and TAKE THE BODY.

While Andy's offensive play has seemed to be improved this year, but still must prove consistent, he is nowhere near a top 4 man on our team in his own end against our current roster. He's making a case for a feasible #5 or #6.

Look this guy can put up all the assists he wants, and this board can go crazy for him, but first show me solid CONSISTENT, PHYSICAL play in your own end... then we can talk about the offensive game.

As far as "offensive defensman" or whatever term used to label these guys....bottom line is you are a DEFENSEMAN FIRST, all else second ....otherwise you're just a misplaced forward.

Yes DevilinLA I know you are a big critic when it comes to Andy Greene and it always sounds like you do not like him. You know I like Greene and he has made a complete 180 this season compared to last so far. He has done what is expected of him and yes I think he is in the top 4 of our defensemens right now. I know you are high on Mottau and Salvador, but Greene has played better than both of them so far this season. Salvador had one of his worst games as a Devil the last game vs. Toronto and should be playing better. Greene and Mottau are good together and it will be interesting to see how Mottau does now without Greene for the next month plus. Greene is a better defenseman than Brookbank, so Mottau has to help out Brookbank until Greene comes back.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

He has played well....but to call him one of our top 4 is just plain ludicrous.

No it is not ludicrous and to say that is just not correct considering I do not knock others opinions. I guess when I am at the games I see a different game being played by Greene and Salvador. IMO, Greene has been playing better than Salvador this season so far. It is obvious and especially when Greene contributes so far this season. Salvador was just horrific in the Toronto game and looked lost out on the ice. Sorry, but its the truth.

LA:

look, the fact is that Greene played very well, assists aside (assists can vary wildly for defensemen). I'm more impressed with his ability to skate the puck out of the zone or find the breakout pass, something that not enough of our defensemen can do consistently.

Agree Tri. I am glad others have been noticing this.

Edited by SatansDevils

Yes DevilinLA I know you are a big critic when it comes to Andy Greene and it always sounds like you do not like him. You know I like Greene and he has made a complete 180 this season compared to last so far. He has done what is expected of him and yes I think he is in the top 4 of our defensemens right now. I know you are high on Mottau and Salvador, but Greene has played better than both of them so far this season. Salvador had one of his worst games as a Devil the last game vs. Toronto and should be playing better. Greene and Mottau are good together and it will be interesting to see how Mottau does now without Greene for the next month plus. Greene is a better defenseman than Brookbank, so Mottau has to help out Brookbank until Greene comes back.

I don't think anybody is claiming that Andy Greene is playing poorly; just that others are playing better. Salvador averages about 22 min/night and Oduya 19 min/night, while Greene averages only 15 min/night. I realize that Greene has a good plus minus, but that is simply by virtue of his excellent offensive start. There is no way he keeps playing so well offensively, and thus his plus/minus will eventually drop. With the extra time that Salvador and Oduya log, the simple fact that they don't look tired and play well defensively makes them more valuable than Greene.

No it is not ludicrous and to say that is just not correct considering I do not knock others opinions. I guess when I am at the games I see a different game being played by Greene and Salvador. IMO, Greene has been playing better than Salvador this season so far. It is obvious and especially when Greene contributes so far this season. Salvador was just horrific in the Toronto game and looked lost out on the ice. Sorry, but its the truth.

I'm just gonna let the additional posters drill this point home for me....

IF he's a top 4 defenseman based off of 3-4 games I'm PAtrick Elias (in LA).... :giggle: