After 15 Years Daneyko Misses Playoff Game

Rock

After 15 years, Daneyko finally misses playoff game

http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php?qstr=...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Wednesday, April 16, 2003

By TOM GULITTI

STAFF WRITER

BOSTON - Ken Daneyko knew the end was coming. It was only a question of when.

That was answered when coach Pat Burns pulled the Devils' warhorse defenseman aside after Monday's optional practice and told him he would be sitting out Game 4 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal series against Boston on Tuesday night at the FleetCenter.

So, as the Devils tried to complete a sweep of the Bruins in the best-of-seven series, Daneyko watched from the press box, his incredible streak of playing in every playoff game in club history officially over. The streak lasted through 15 years, three trips to the Stanley Cup Finals, 28 postseason series, and 165 games.

"It was going to come to an end sooner or later, whether it was now or at the time I retired," said Daneyko, who will celebrate his 39th birthday Thursday. "But, whether it's now or later, it's about the team and what's best for the team."

(There's your Birthday DM!) :lol:

Burns cited Daneyko's sore ribs - he was driven into the boards by Boston's P.J. Axelsson in the third period of Game 3 on Sunday - as the main reason for sitting him out, but he also wanted to get Richard Smehlik into a game to keep him sharp.

"I think it's going to beneficial to both players along the way," Burns said. "You have to think down the road, too. If Smehlik sits out too long and something would happen, he would be ready. I know there's a streak involved and whatnot, but it's a question of being beneficial for the team and Dano."

Daneyko did not deny that he would have preferred to keep the streak going.

"Would I play if he asked me to play? Yes," Daneyko said. "But I'm not going to analyze anything. ... I did take a hard hit in the third. My heart says, yeah, you want to go out there again. But, I'm not 100 percent and I'm 39. If I was 29, it would be a different story."

Daneyko said Burns did not assure him that he'd be in the lineup for the next game, but he was confident his respite would be a brief one.

"There are no assurances in life," Daneyko said. "But he said I'd be back in there. I'm sure I'll be back in."

Burns rested Daneyko periodically throughout the season. He still played in 69 games, posting two goals, seven assists, and had a plus-six defensive rating.

Daneyko began to sit more often after the arrival of Smehlik in a March 10 trade with Atlanta.

"He obviously played through injuries through that streak and he's capable of doing that and playing very well," Devils' captain Scott Stevens said. "But I think he understands and he's a team player and that's what he's thinking about."

The closest Daneyko came to missing a playoff game before was after he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during the 1994-95 season. He made it back to play the final three regular season contests and did not miss a game during the team's Stanley Cup run.

"I'm proud of it, sure," said Daneyko, who is also the Devils' all-time leader in regular-season games played with 1,283. "Since '88 I've played in every playoff game. That goes to my longevity, my healthiness, whatever you want to call it. But I'm at a different stage in my career and I understand that. I'm looking at what's best in the team in the long run and the big picture here."

Burns should have left Dano in the game. Smehlik hasn't done anything that has earned him a right not to get rusty on the bench.

Doesn't Albelin get rusty sitting on the bench? He comes in and plays well when called on.

Schwab doesn't get rusty.

Plus Dano played well and earned the right to play.

What's this BS about?

Burns should have left Dano in the game. Smehlik hasn't done anything that has earned him a right not to get rusty on the bench.

Doesn't Albelin get rusty sitting on the bench? He comes in and plays well when called on.

I agree with you here GR if Burns had to scratch Dano it should have been for Albelin not Smellnik. I guess it's cause we're trying to justify the trade for Smellnik. :rolleyes:

I agree with you here GR if Burns had to scratch Dano it should have been for Albelin not Smellnik. I guess it's cause we're trying to justify the trade for Smellnik. :rolleyes:

Has -- I just assumed that's what GR was trying to say -- that Alby should have been played instead...questioning if someone gets rusty I figured was sort of GR's idea of a rave

Why do we all have such trouble spelling Smehli, schmells :huh: ..smelln - whatever! :unsure: ok - not funny - he's a Devil afterall and needs our support.