Stubhub tix

DevsNets

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster. Devils fan since 93 and now I am living in Boston.

I bought four tickets for the Bruins / Devils game in January for $103 each, excluding the service charges and shipping, from Stubhub. I got the tix and they said $60 face value. These are front row upper deck center ice tix. I'm not terribly upset bc i wanted to see the game really badly and the choices for 4 seats together were VERY limited. But how can Stubhub mark up the ticket price so much?

Aren't you supposed to limit how much $$ you can resell a ticket for?

Edited by DevsNets

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster. Devils fan since 93 and now I am living in Boston.

I bought four tickets for the Bruins / Devils game in January for $103 each, excluding the service charges and shipping, from Stubhub. I got the tix and they said $60 face value. These are front row upper deck center ice tix. I'm not terribly upset bc i wanted to see the game really badly and the choices for 4 seats together were VERY limited. But how can Stubhub mark up the ticket price so much?

It's not StubHub that's setting the prices, it's the people selling the tickets. Most will sell for higher than the ticket price to make the money back that they spent, plus StubHub's listing/sale fees.

Is this for a game in Boston? I don't think there are $60 tickets in NJ.

Is this for a game in Boston? I don't think there are $60 tickets in NJ.

As an experienced ticket buyer/seller, let me assure you that professional sports teams and leagues have allowed users of stubhub and its competitors to sell tickets at any price that supply/demand dictates. Check to make sure they are the same row/section that were written on the listing. If they are incorrect, call stubhub right away and they'll offer some options like getting similiar tickets or your money back, but if the listing was correct than the seller did not break any rules.

Yup, these tix are for TD Banknorth in Boston. I thought you were only allowed to sell tickets for a 10% markup. Has this law changed?

Yes, the law was changed a couple of years ago as it was really hard to enforceable. Once the law was changed, that when you started seeing stubhub and other ticket agencies really start to thrive. Personally, I hated the law. I would gladly pay up to get front row/pit for concerts, and now I can buy tickets from reliable sources as opposed to hoping to land something in a parking lot.

The downside, this makes getting prime seats from ticketmaster/source even harder, as people make their living buying these up early for resell... but, thats life.

So long story short, yes - law changed.

I could dig up sources if you want ;)

I hate ticket agencies. They make it too expensive to see games. You can't get Red Sox tickets unless you go through them. I loved when the Bruins sucked cuz I was able to get tickets from the box office when ever I wanted. I thought ahead this year with the Bruins and bought a 12 game pack since I knew they were going to be good and the bandwagoners would be out in full force. When I do have to sell tickets I sell them for face value. Ticket agencies are legalized scalping.