20 Years Ago... 5 goals 5 different ways...

Devil Dan 56

I saw some people complaining about the current team after losing the second game of a back-to-back on the road.

Thought I'd throw this blast from the past up from 20 years go. (12-31-1988)

5 goals 5 different ways...

It could always be worse...

The amazing thing about that game was that the Devils actually had a chance to tie that up. They were losing 7-6 and had pulled the goalie and were right on the doorstep when Mario managed to score the empty netter to finish his amazing night. ThosE were the years where Pittsburgh could score a lot but couldn't do anything else...once they made that big deal with Hartford (John Cullen, Rob Brown and Zarley Zalapski for Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson and Frank Pietrangelo) all of that changed, and in a big way...to the tune of 2 Stanley Cups. Cullen, Brown (especially) and Zalapski were never the same.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

A bunch of friends & I went to that game, spending New Years Eve in 'beautiful' Pittsburgh.

We swore the empty netter was after the buzzer, but they'd never dis-allow it, for history sake. I never did see a tape of that game with the last goal showing the clock or hearing the buzzer.

By the way, all the people we saw at the hotel later that night, the hotel had a party, we had our own.

Everyone asked "how'd Mario do?", not "who won the game?" or "did the pens win?".

Just a couple of things from that trip I'll never forget.

A bunch of friends & I went to that game, spending New Years Eve in 'beautiful' Pittsburgh.

We swore the empty netter was after the buzzer, but they'd never dis-allow it, for history sake. I never did see a tape of that game with the last goal showing the clock or hearing the buzzer.

By the way, all the people we saw at the hotel later that night, the hotel had a party, we had our own.

Everyone asked "how'd Mario do?", not "who won the game?" or "did the pens win?".

Just a couple of things from that trip I'll never forget.

Back then they didn't keep an image of the clock or have the score on constant display on the TV screen either. Although I grew up watching games without all of the graphics, videos of older games look strange to me now...I've really gotten used to all of that. Back then you got the game score before commercial breaks...if you were lucky.

I was home from my first semester of college and watched with my dad. We were both pretty amazed by Lemieux's display, but that's kind of stating the obvious. The Devils were 13-19-6 after that loss, and after winning three in a row right after that they pretty much fell apart. They were especially putrid down the stretch: 6-15-2 over their last 23. I don't know what you remember about that '88-'89 mess, but I remember how they were contantly taking penalties (stupid ones) and how Sean Burke didn't come close to living up to his promise. MacLean was really the great story...especially when he went nuts with all of those hat tricks.