2009 NCAA College Hockey Tournament

MDPucks

Lou is one of the Godfathers of college hockey with his instrumental hand in helping to create Hockey East and turning it into arguably the best league in all of college hockey. Lou was also one of the first NHL GM's to really raid the US college hockey ranks for talent and the Devils success can be directly traced to this.

This is why I feel this belongs in the minor leagues fourm instead of the general sports fourm.

East Regional (Bridgeport) Fri-Sat

---------------------------------------

1-Michigan (2nd place CCHA)

4-Air Force (Atlantic Hockey Champion)

2-Yale (ECAC Champion)

3-Vermont (4th place Hockey East)

Northeast Regional (Manchester) Sat-Sun

------------------------------------------------

1-Boston University (Hockey East Champion)

4-Ohio State (5th place CCHA)

2-North Dakota (1st place WCHA)

3-New Hampshire (3rd place Hockey East)

West Regional (Minneapolis) Fri-Sat

------------------------------------------------

1-Denver (WCHA 2nd place)

4-Miami (CCHA 3rd place)

2-Minnesota-Duluth (WCHA Champion)

3-Princeton (3rd place ECAC)

MidWest Regional (Grand Rapids) Sat-Sun

----------------------------------------------------

1-Notre Dame (CCHA Champion)

4-Bemidji State (CHA Champion)

2-Cornell (2nd place ECAC)

3-Northeastern (2nd place Hockey East)

Regional winners head to the Frozen Four to take place at the Verizon Center in Washington Thursday April 9th and Saturday April 10th.

Unfortunately Air Force upset Michigan which had the only two Devil prospects David Wohlberg and Brandon Burlon, both of which turned in solid first years. Wohlberg especially exploded and is looking like a steal right now.

Right now Miami is up on another #1, this time Denver, 3-0 in the second period. It is on ESPN2 right now if anyone wants some good hockey to watch before the Devils.

At this rate im going to have to scalp some tickets for the frozen four. After suffering through 4 years of pretty awful BU hockey when i was there, the seeds for this run were sown. Its unbelievable to see how guys like Gilroy, Yip and Lawrence have grown up since their freshman years. This is going to be incredible to see, and ill have to do it in person.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be attending my 4th Frozen Four tomorrow (1998-Boston, 2004-Boston, 2005-Columbus, 2009-Washington) and DC is pulling out all the stops to put on a great show.

I'll be behind the "home" bench wearing a UMass jersey if anybody is watching ESPN2 or ESPN.

5:00 pm - Bemidji State Beavers vs. Miami Red Hawks

8:30 pm - Vermont Catamounts vs. Boston University Terriers

I will be attending my 4th Frozen Four tomorrow (1998-Boston, 2004-Boston, 2005-Columbus, 2009-Washington) and DC is pulling out all the stops to put on a great show.

I'll be behind the "home" bench wearing a UMass jersey if anybody is watching ESPN2 or ESPN.

5:00 pm - Bemidji State Beavers vs. Miami Red Hawks

8:30 pm - Vermont Catamounts vs. Boston University Terriers

Go BU! :koolaid:

I wanted to get down to DC but passover got in the way. I need to go heathen so this doesn't happen again...

This tourament was completely crazy this year. Usually you'll have 1 Cinderella team making the Frozen Four but never do you see basically 2.5 teams do so. This was perhaps a product of the parity in the college game that developed this season due to mediocre years from BC, Minnesota, and Wisconsin (who were left out completely), the fact that 2 of 3 the Ivies that qualified (Princeton & Yale) were products of typical incredibly weak scheduling, and the lack of a true "heavy" (normally at least 2 or 3 out of BC, Mich, Minny, CC, Denver, NoDak, etc.). BU is probably as close as you can get to a "heavy" this season along with maybe Michigan. Notre Dame must have gotten drunk the night before Bemidji beat the hell out of them because what I saw from the 5th row on Thursday night was a plucky team with great fans and not much talent. The 3rd period of BSU-Miami was frankly painful to watch because BSU simply has no offense.

BU maybe the titan in DC but their kryptonite is definately their own inflated opinion of themselves and their weak goaltending. BU dominated the 1st period from UVM then decided to take the next 30 minutes off and Vermont promptly came-back and took the lead. Eventhough they came-back BU is reminding me of the can't-lose BC team 2 years ago in Saint Louis that figured the national championship was in the bag and lost to Michigan State and their 4 foot goaltender in the final.

The scene around Verizon Center is your typical grouping of college hockey fans from around the country sporting their school's colors. Think of it as a cross between hockey Woodstock and the bar scene in Star Wars. The one big difference in this year versus previous is the lack of student fanboys (BU aside) at the arena with the 3 other schools being small. This has led to a much more adult atmosphere at Verizon Center. DC is really making a huge push to become a semi-permenant host of this event and they've done a great job.