Nick Palmieri

Triumph

just clicking around hockeydb, i see that nick palmieri scored 14 goals in 17 playoff games for the belleville bulls. lowell fans should expect him to score something between 15-25 goals next season.

For me, a problem with that is he got most of those in just a few game stretch near the end so he still wasn't that impressive for a lot of the playoffs.

If he could put it all together he can be a helluva player, but from what I have read about him online, a lot of people feel that the effort isn't always there. As 731 pointed out he had a couple of monster games that really made his playoff totals more impressive than they actually were. Hopefully he can take the next step.

based on his junior hockey career to date, numbers-wise? 25 is probably too high.

This guy makes Tallackson look consistant with effort. I think he is a cancer of a player. I am more impressed with Harry Young so far this playoffs. He may be signed following the memorial cup, which I fully expect Windsor to win.

This guy makes Tallackson look consistant with effort. I think he is a cancer of a player. I am more impressed with Harry Young so far this playoffs. He may be signed following the memorial cup, which I fully expect Windsor to win.

harry young has 0 offensive upside just like half the devils' defensive draft picks. no matter how impressive he is in junior, it's just not likely he makes it to the nhl.

harry young has 0 offensive upside just like half the devils' defensive draft picks. no matter how impressive he is in junior, it's just not likely he makes it to the nhl.

Its not likely he makes it to the NHL as a top 4 defensmen but he should develop into a solid #5 or #6 in the Hall Gill mode. Palmieri won't make the NHL alone.

Its not likely he makes it to the NHL as a top 4 defensmen but he should develop into a solid #5 or #6 in the Hall Gill mode. Palmieri won't make the NHL alone.

the devils have like 17 of these prospects about whom you'd say this. now it's fine since young was a late-round pick, but i'd bet on palmieri getting to the nhl before harry young - palmieri still scored 41 goals in 77 junior games this season.

the devils have like 17 of these prospects about whom you'd say this. now it's fine since young was a late-round pick, but i'd bet on palmieri getting to the nhl before harry young - palmieri still scored 41 goals in 77 junior games this season.

While you may not take intangibles into the equation but Harry Young was captain of the top junior team in the country at 18, he is the best PK'er on the team, he is huge at 6`4 210 and he is one of the top heavy weights in the OHL. This guy screams New Jersey. If we trade him you are going to have the next Willie Mitchell or Mike Commodore type mistake.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

While you may not take intangibles into the equation but Harry Young was captain of the top junior team in the country at 18, he is the best PK'er on the team, he is huge at 6`4 210 and he is one of the top heavy weights in the OHL. This guy screams New Jersey. If we trade him you are going to have the next Willie Mitchell or Mike Commodore type mistake.

i do take intangibles into the equation but the truth is that this defenseman is becoming less and less valuable each year as the game moves away from the neutral zone chess match to the offensive-zone game we're seeing in this carolina series, for instance. a defensive defenseman can only be so valuable.

palmieri has the kind of size and skills that hopefully if he raises his level of play and consistency he will be at the very least a grinder in the clarkson of last year/turner stevenson/arron asham mold - a guy who will fight, throw in a few goals, and play an energy role. i understand he's disappointed since leaving camp in 2007 but that was a tremendous camp - if he can recover that fire in professional hockey, he's got a future as a 20 goal power forward type.

i do take intangibles into the equation but the truth is that this defenseman is becoming less and less valuable each year as the game moves away from the neutral zone chess match to the offensive-zone game we're seeing in this carolina series, for instance. a defensive defenseman can only be so valuable.

palmieri has the kind of size and skills that hopefully if he raises his level of play and consistency he will be at the very least a grinder in the clarkson of last year/turner stevenson/arron asham mold - a guy who will fight, throw in a few goals, and play an energy role. i understand he's disappointed since leaving camp in 2007 but that was a tremendous camp - if he can recover that fire in professional hockey, he's got a future as a 20 goal power forward type.

If a player isn't motivated in junior I don't see him being consistantly motivated at the pro level. Young isn't flashy but he will outwork you and bring leadership. I will be happy if Palmieri does pull a Bobby Ryan and becomes a much better pro player then junior but I just don't see it.

If a player isn't motivated in junior I don't see him being consistantly motivated at the pro level. Young isn't flashy but he will outwork you and bring leadership. I will be happy if Palmieri does pull a Bobby Ryan and becomes a much better pro player then junior but I just don't see it.

Palmieri had some odd circumstances - mononucleosis, being on a rotten team, getting told by new jersey he was awesome - maybe $50/day won't cut it for him. I agree that it's worrisome but I also think he scores 15 goals in the AHL next year a very large % of the time.

I am an Erie Fan as well as Devil Fan when Palmieri got drafted to the Devils and then signed I was stoked to say the least - IMO Nick got a raw deal from the Otters owner Sherry Bassien as Nick apparently asked for a trade in May of the year before to a contender after being in Erie for 3 years w/o playing in the playoffs, Bass agreed he would work on but word is had no intention of trading him - Palmieri's agent got involved in September and it became a mess. I can tell you he came back and played great in Erie till his trade in late November. I have watched Erie play with all the great forwards coming and going Boyes,Connolly,Pecker and yes even Rupp ( who was not so great in Erie) - Palmieri when he is at his best is as good or better than all of them. You list the playoffs this year as his best game but as an Otter fan he had dominating games against the best teams in the west beating Kitchener last year when they were #1 in the CHL I think he had 5 or 6 points - Windsor this year and last when they came to Erie - he seemed to always score the big goal or shootout goal to win games

Is Nick great every game - no - I think he is inconsistent at times but isn't that true about most young players. We have a boat load in Erie that are great one game and disappear the next.

Would I take him back in Erie - In a Heartbeat - the kid plays big in big games and has shown it throughout his OHL career - and I for one would not bet against him in New Jersey - I think he will mature as he plays for a good organization and is mentored in NJ. Lets face it 6'3" 220 lbs forwards who can skate shoot and play don't grow on trees - we could use one right now !!!!!!! Go Devils lets finish Canes..

• 2 weeks later...
I am an Erie Fan as well as Devil Fan when Palmieri got drafted to the Devils and then signed I was stoked to say the least - IMO Nick got a raw deal from the Otters owner Sherry Bassien as Nick apparently asked for a trade in May of the year before to a contender after being in Erie for 3 years w/o playing in the playoffs, Bass agreed he would work on but word is had no intention of trading him - Palmieri's agent got involved in September and it became a mess. I can tell you he came back and played great in Erie till his trade in late November. I have watched Erie play with all the great forwards coming and going Boyes,Connolly,Pecker and yes even Rupp ( who was not so great in Erie) - Palmieri when he is at his best is as good or better than all of them. You list the playoffs this year as his best game but as an Otter fan he had dominating games against the best teams in the west beating Kitchener last year when they were #1 in the CHL I think he had 5 or 6 points - Windsor this year and last when they came to Erie - he seemed to always score the big goal or shootout goal to win games

Is Nick great every game - no - I think he is inconsistent at times but isn't that true about most young players. We have a boat load in Erie that are great one game and disappear the next.

Would I take him back in Erie - In a Heartbeat - the kid plays big in big games and has shown it throughout his OHL career - and I for one would not bet against him in New Jersey - I think he will mature as he plays for a good organization and is mentored in NJ. Lets face it 6'3" 220 lbs forwards who can skate shoot and play don't grow on trees - we could use one right now !!!!!!! Go Devils lets finish Canes..

Just read this on OHL Blog - rates Palmieri and other Americans in the OHL- interesting read and supports what I said above

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2009/04/s...an-players.html

Just read this on OHL Blog - rates Palmieri and other Americans in the OHL- interesting read and supports what I said above

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2009/04/s...an-players.html

Thanks for that pretty interesting, i still dont like the fact that the phrase "when he wants to be" was used at least 3 times in one sentance, but hopefully he will work on his attitude.

Romano is also on there and he seems to have had an excellent season with the Petes, 69 points in 66 games, but he was overage, but any improvement is good news.

Im still slightly dissapointed that the Devils didnt take John Carlson in last years draft (although Tedenby was the player i wanted but never thought would fall that far). Carlson is a New Jersey fan who was exactly what we need for the future, big gritty D man who has speed and the abillity to QB the power play. I guess we will have to see who is the better player out of Tedenby and Carlson.

while i don't like that either, i think playing on a terrible team after being one of the last cuts from an nhl team has to be difficult for a young player.

But this dosen't seem to be a recent, start of this year type of trend, this has been said about him for a long while.

While he had a difficult time with the Otters it might have been understandable, but he got his wish and moved to the petes and he still needs a lot of motivation. The scary thing is if he is only putting in half the effort some nights he still managed to score 14 goals in 17 games so there is obviouse tallent.

you often see players in the NHL who lack size and skill but make up for it and earn an NHL roster spot with effort, its less likley that you see a player with size and skill who lacks effort that makes the NHL (Baring Victor Kozlov).

The problem is I think he had 9 goals in the last 4 games which means he still had 5 goals in the prior 13. 5 in 13 isn't horrible but it's not impressive by any stretch in the OHL.

So it seems like he got really hot for 4 games and now we're ready to forgive 2 seasons and most of the playoffs worth of just ok production because of 4 great games.

Obviously I'd say Palmieri's stock rose with his playoffs because even though it's only 4 games, it was 4 huge games, but I still have trouble thinking a guy who has a rep for not playing hard enough will make it. Good news is that ethic is something that can be learned at times so hopefully becoming a pro next season will really cause him to focus.

• 10 months later...

Now that the Otters are done for the year losing to Windsor last night, I was checking some of the Devil's prospect stats

Triumph - pretty amazing prediction made last year for Palmieri's production as a first year Pro

what amazes me is he seems, from score sheets, to be getting great first year numbers playing on the 3rd and 4th lines

I plan on catching a few games on line but can any Lowell fans bring me up to date.........

By the way watched Adam Henrique play vs, Otters - the Devils got another great pick the kid can play

i think palmieri's gotten some puck luck this year - i've only watched 2 lowell games, but in one i did see, palmieri beat valiquette on what was an easily stoppable shot. his shooting percentage is almost 15%, which isn't outrageous, but is still a bit higher than what i'd expect. shooting percentage is some part skill, some part luck, and some part from where on the ice a player tends to shoot.

still, an excellent first pro season for palmieri, and i think his development was part of what enabled lou to trade bergfors.

Edited by Triumph