Comments On The Devils

Nieuwy25

Just a couple of things I thought were interesting . . .

This is from Mike Heika's breakdown of the Ducks vs. Devils. (He's picking the Devils in 7.)

Coaching: Pat Burns knows what he's doing. He has built this team with an iron fist, and many of the players have not been happy with him. But when the team faced its greatest challenge in Game 7 at Ottawa, Burns was the clear leader. He motivated instead of criticized, and his players bonded with him. If the Devils win the whole thing, Burns' handling of the situation will be seen as the turning point.

and this from a little miscellaneous comments section called "Two Cents' Worth":

Jamie Langenbrunner is plus 8 heading into the the Stanley Cup Finals.  Jason Arnott, the man the Stars acquired for him, was minus 2.  Oh yeah, and the Stars threw in Joe Nieuwendyk.

I agree with Mike. Burnsie's biggest (and so far, his crowning achievement) was the way he responded to the vice-grip adversity in Game 7. He didn't pull a regular season Burnsie and throw sticks and benches, but instead he calmly told the team that there was a 36-year old, 500 goal scoring, 1,000 point achieving Conn-Smythe winner in the next room who was in excruciating pain and tears. That was the rallying point. That was our team's "Roger Nielson moment." That shows that Pat knows when to yell and when to motivate.

I like that. And the Ducks have not yet tasted it. They're still riding around in the giant pumpkin chariot with Paul Kariya and J.S. Giguere and their late-show appearences holding the reins while Steve Rucchin slips a glass slipper onto Keith Carney's dainty tootsies.

I hope the Devils crush the Ducks and their front-running media and fan support.

Devils in 5.

I felt going into game 7 that if the Devils lost it would be a crushing blow to the team; I have to think playing Burns type playoff hockey for 80 games a year, then the playoffs, would be tough on players. That's probably why he wears out his welcome rather quickly wherever he goes despite success. I thought next year would be either keep BUrns and dump some players or visa-versa; thankfully we don't have to worry about that now.

The Ducks haven't even faced a decent goaltender yet!

Cujo's consistently mediocre... not nearly as good as Brodeur.

Turco's posted some good numbers, but he's young and lacks the power to control the game.

Dwayne and Manny... Can we say inconsistent?

Marty will be the first elite goaltender you've faced this year.

I love how Devils fans deflect things. Will it be tough to score on Brodeur and the Devils D? Sure. But will it be as equally tough to score on Giguere and the Ducks D? You bet your bottom dollar. The Devils haven't face anyone as good as Giguere or Turco as a matter of fact and we'll see how they hold things together.

Hey, I love how cocky Ducks fans are when in all reality, the truth of the matter is: they haven't won anything yet!!

Ducks fans have not earned bragging rights yet, and actually, I find it disrespectful what they have been saying about Brodeur, Friesen, and the Devils in general.

So it is cocky of me to say scoring on Giguere will be tough. But it is not cocky for Devils fans to say the same about Brodeur? Oh right...its about bragging rights....

And I've been following hockey since the mid 80s when the Flyers had Pelle Lindberg. I think I know a few things.

Every since 95, Devs have always been looked the other way, especially by the major media networks. Just read the articles that come though this forum (that doesn't block incoming members).

But have all the glory you want in this series cause I like it when the Devs are underdogs. They play their best hockey (See Game 7 vs. Ottawa, 95 Stanley Cup run, etc).

Jigga Who?