An Idea

CHICO IS GOD

Baseball: Great to play, awful to watch.

Chris was saying how minor-league ball is more fun to watch because they don't take as long setting up, like in-between pitches or even in-between innings. MLB should take note.

Minor league ball is pretty fun to watch...I go to about four or five New Jersey Cardinals games a year (we get free tickets through the Daily Record)...unfortunately, they lose every game, but it's decent experience.

I think that's one of those things that is being widely noted: minor league baseball is just an overall better experience than major league ball.

Baseball was America's pastime. I'm not so sure it is anymore. It's not what it used to be. If we talk to our parents, they grew up on baseball. There also were a lot more matinee games and they were able to go more frequently unlike today where the cost for a family of four can be astronomical. I've always wondered what it must have been like to go see a classic game in its' heyday when you had the Yankees, Dodgers and Giants all battling it out in our backyard. My Dad saved some of his old scorecards from the 50's. I remember one which included his favorite pitcher Juan Marichal. Very nice.

The thing that's great about baseball is there's no time limit. A great pitched ballgame can last two hours and twenty minutes. But a great slugfest can last three-four hours. It has more variety. You never know what you're going to see in baseball. Someone can come out of nowhere and toss a gem or an unknown rookie can have a breakthrough game. And where else would someone by the name of Junior Felix have made a great rookie debut for the Blue Jays :lol: . I still saved all his rookie cards ;) . Ditto for one of my Yankee faves from the past, Kevin Maas.

I still love the game. But like any sport, there definitely needs to be some changes. I'd like to see them push the fences back and make it more traditional. That way you don't see so many HR's coming as easily. Maybe raise the pitching mound too and do away with those ridiculous elbow protector pads Barry Bonds wears.

It's still fun to watch and follow.

Nice to see Pettite pitching a gem today. The Yanks needed it!

There are tons of reasons why baseball is sinking. A lot of it, with the NY area, is simply overcrowding. My dad used to drive from Elimira to the Bronx (four hours) just for a game. But nowadays, you're very lucky to make that drive in five hours. Gameday traffic could push that up to six.

And it's not just those far away. What about the people from around me that, if there wasn't any traffic, would have a 20-30 minute ride in? On a gameday, you're lucky to make it in an hour.

Plus with the excellent TV coverage that is free(ish), why spend all that money on tickets, parking, and food? You could grab a Bud six-pack for $5 and a bag of nachos and a thing of cheese for another $5 and then sit in air conditioning watching the game.

Not to knock going to games, which is always fun unless your roommate is so drunk he's shouting diatribes at the opponent's left-fielder, but it's not worth it to go out as often.

Now minor-league ball... good tickets go for $4-$8! And in Montclair on Thursdays, beers or sodas are $1!

I like baseball, but I have to admit I am not a big baseball fan like I used to be when I was growing up. In late 80s and early nineties, I loved baseball. It was my favorite sport. I would not miss one game. I always was looking forward to Opening Day all the time, but the last two years, I don't even get up for Opening Day.

Baseball lost its luster ever since the 94 strike. I think lot of fans got tired of the players attitudes and majority of the players are jerks. Another problem with baseball is that there are small-market teams who can't keep up with the big boys such as making trades in the deadline and they can't sign their own core players when they become free agents. Another reason why baseball has lost its luster is because Bud Selig does not promote the sport well. He always talk about why the game is bad instead of why the game is good. He degrades the sport and he thinks the small-market teams success is more of a aberation. I was really ticked when Bud called the Twins success the last two years as an "aberration"

I have been trying to watch some baseball games the last few weeks with the Nets season being over, but I just can't get into it. It does not help that the Twins are playing horrible right now. Maybe the division race in the AL Central will get me going this summer. I think the excitement of baseball comes during the postseason rather than the regular season.

Football is now America's pastime. Most fans I know from online and offline love football over other sports.

As for minor league baseball, I hear it's pretty cool. I am going to attend some Bears games in Newark at the end of July. I may go to some more games in August. I wish there would be some Bears games on television.

Gary Thorne is good at calling hockey until the later rounds, which is when we get him. Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN/ABC asked him to be more "stupid fan friendly" and not call just the game but to chit-chat more. When he sticks to calling every play detail-by-detail, like Emrick, he is great.

And he aint bad at baseball.

Don't forget to put the HOS in. He is a huge baseball fan.

He sucks at everything he attempts or does, lol

:o Maybe SBT/HOS cheated to get the best forum poster award but don't be disillusioned El Chico! It's part of his charm

:lol::lol::lol:

:unsure:

:mellow: well I thought it was funny...and rather creative as well! Sorry for twisting El Chico's words -- heeheehee