Ducks Drop Third Straight

Derek21

My JHL team sucks, but that's another story.

I have watched the Ducks first 3 games and I noticed a common theme, there defense is poor. Perhaps the loss of Carney is more significant then first thought. Opposing teams are shooting high on Jiggy and Feds and Prospal don't fit on their lines yet. they team will gel at some point. The funny thing is how dominant Kariya looks on the Lanche. He is aggressive and quick. He has his mojo flowing. Poor ducking are having a hard time taking flight. I love it!

The media will find another team or player to talk about 24/7 before you know it and everyone will go back to asking.. "Aren't the Mighty Ducks a movie?"

We already know who the new media darling is . . .

the boys in Denver.

ESPN & a lot of the newspaper guys are saying they hope the Avs win it all so other teams will copy their all-out offensive approach and bring back "Oilers hockey".

That'd be great - but let another team lead the way - ANY other team. :puke:

I am on the Avalanche bandwagon, they are fun to watch. Having Center Ice has proved one thing to me, the Devils are perhaps one of the most methodicle and calculated teams in the NHL. Some may call it boring but their machine like work is great. However, it's fun to watch a team play some wide open hockey like the Avs do. I find myself wishing the Devils did as well.

I am on the Avalanche bandwagon, they are fun to watch. Having Center Ice has proved one thing to me, the Devils are perhaps one of the most methodicle and calculated teams in the NHL. Some may call it boring but their machine like work is great. However, it's fun to watch a team play some wide open hockey like the Avs do. I find myself wishing the Devils did as well.

I agree there with enjoying that type of offensive game. But I also get pleasure from watching the evil, machine-like Devs come to dismantle a team defensively. Watching big bad highly paid stars bang their sticks in fustration due to a perfectly execacuted 1-2-2 is beautiful. Now if only we were allowed to patent it so noone else could use it :evil:

Fedorov hasn't adjusted yet, that's one major reason for their lack of scoring. Another is that Prospal hasn't done jack; if he keeps this up, it will be proof that last season was just a fluke. I can't imagine him not pulling down similar numbers to last year, though, given some of the offensive talent on the Ducks. Plus, as was noted, MacDonald and Leclerc are out... when they return to the lineup, they will have an even more balanced attack.

As for their D, the loss of Carney is huge. He is their defense. He, as much as Giguere, was a main reason for their trip to the SCF last year. When he gets back, expect their defense to increase tenfold.

I think in order to have a Cup hangover, you have to have actually *won* the Cup.  :D   I think it's just a hangover, period.

Not necessarily. While I get your point, just look what happened to Carolina last year. They kept the same team and it fell apart. More teams are gunning for you either way.

I guess there's some truth to the comment in another thread about every team improving with Carney and going in the toilet when he leaves; hangover also applies to an extent, and also when big FA's leave and get a big-money deal with another team - especially a guy like Feds that was going from being one of a few guys in Detroit to THE guy now, they almost always struggle at the start.

Its only three games, not the end of the world. If this were to continue for a while then yea I guess they could panic, but the year after we won the cup (2000) we started slow too and finished with 111 points so its too early. New guys adjusting, injured players, and the hangover.

Its only three games, not the end of the world. If this were to continue for a while then yea I guess they could panic, but the year after we won the cup (2000) we started slow too and finished with 111 points so its too early. New guys adjusting, injured players, and the hangover.

Yeah I remember that too, though a lot of it had to do with the tandem Arnott-Nieds holdouts. I think the Devs started something like 6-8-3 with a 5 or 6 game losing streak in there somewhere and the AOL board couldn't wait to panic :P But heck the AOL board got panicky when the Devs started 1-3 one year (I think it was '99 or '98) :P

Difference is the Ducks came out of nowhere last year while the Devs had at least had a tradition of success; a frame of reference in 2001...though I'm sure in the back of a lot of Devils' fans' minds, everyone feared a repeat of '96 with the slow start.

Good point, yea I forgot about those holdouts. The game they came back was against the Ducks, we won 5-2, they contributed right away. I think that the Ducks will snap out of it, I don't expect them to have a divison title, but if they don't make it to the playoffs then boy what a disappoint, especially after the experts at ESPN ( :rofl: ) said this team wouldn't have the same problems as the Hurricanes.