What are they going to call the Newark arena?

djstubbs

How about the Mercedes-Benz Arena? :lol:

...or the Gulf Arena, named after the annoying commercial with the guy who conveniently runs out of gas all the DAMN TIME RAHGHAGHSGYUWGQ#()&%#*

Yeah, uhm, I can't stand the commercials shown during games, I mean, you'd think they'd show more than a grand total of a four commercial rotation..we get the stupid NOOOOOOOOOO SCHOOL! Mercedes commercial, the Gulf commercial, some lame AIG commercial, and then a Continental Airlines commercial. I MEAN COME ON GIVE US SOMETHING ELSE DAMNIT!!!

Yeah the commercials blow but I gotta say that NO SCHOOL one holds some special meaning ;) I like it... although I would like to point out it makes no sense.. unless of course the entire school district has a mercedes... then i get it... but others would argue back at me and tell me that the general meaning and understanding of the commercial is obvious.. i agree.. i was just making a freakin comment about its unrealistic-ness

And as for a name.. well some people on this site from what i have read are never happy with anything in relation to Newark so maybe we could make them Believers by naming it after them... I dunno StubbY Stubbs Center or something

Maybe "GOod luck Arena" Good luck getting back to your car alive :uni:

Sorry i had to go there since ive seen all the crazy talk about how we are all gonna die if the arena is in Newark... Buck up People :):argh: If u can walk around NYC u can walk around Newark, Im not scared of either. :)

Edited by langsgirl

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the commercials blow but I gotta say that NO SCHOOL one holds some special meaning ;) I like it... although I would like to point out it makes no sense.. unless of course the entire school district has a mercedes... then i get it... but others would argue back at me and tell me that the general meaning and understanding of the commercial is obvious.. i agree.. i was just making a freakin comment about its unrealistic-ness

And as for a name.. well some people on this site from what i have read are never happy with anything in relation to Newark so maybe we could make them Believers by naming it after them... I dunno StubbY Stubbs Center or something

Sorry i had to go there since ive seen all the crazy talk about how we are all gonna die if the arena is in Newark... Buck up People :):argh: If u can walk around NYC u can walk around Newark, Im not scared of either. :)

That commercial drives me nuts because it's so unrealistic. I'm way too pedantic.

What I hate about the Mercedes commercial is that they run it in other areas. I saw it in Chicago and I did a double take when they said "disappointing kids all over the Chicagoland area" instead of "disappointing kids all over the Tri-State area"

There's going to be a hotel and office building next to the arena as part of phase 1 of the complex. DevFan was joking (I think) that the arena would get named after the hotel company.

Nope, wasn't joking. If they are building a hotel complex right next to it at the same time I could see the hotel company come in and grab the naming rights to the arena.

Sorry i had to go there since ive seen all the crazy talk about how we are all gonna die if the arena is in Newark... Buck up People :):argh:If u can walk around NYC u can walk around Newark, Im not scared of either. :)

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Newark is not New York.

Although it may sound like it at times.

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

The sponsor with the most money who wants to of course. But something that inspires fear into our opponents.

Something like the "Vaginsil Arena"

That would just make going to the arena as fans that much worse.

Like the Nashville fans going to the Gaylord Center...

Wow, sucks to be them. :rofl:

Maybe "GOod luck Arena"

Edited by Pepperkorn

PK: I replied to langsgirls incorrect statement: "If you can walk around New York City, you can walk around Newark..."

I felt that was incorrect because for one thing, NYC and Newark are not comparable because NYC, is the greatest city in the world. You've got security up the wazoo, and for the most part, everyone is friendly. Now when you said NYC, I assumed you meant Manhattan..., and if you did, then it's just not comparable to Newark.

For one thing, New York City (Manhattan), is an extremely desirable place to go.

And why you ask?:

-Fun, tons of things to do.

-Safe, police presence everywhere, surveillance everywhere as well.

-Tons of restuarants, VARIETY.

---

I mean it's pretty self explanatory why Newark and New YORK, aren't comparable.

And I don't know how langsgirl could compare the two...

----

And if she was trying to push the "Yankees Stadium VS Newark" point, she's still wrong, Yankee Stadium is an icon, and has been for decades.

The difference between Newark and Yankee Stadium, is that the crime grew near the stadium, rather than the crime is already in place, and then a stadium was built.

------

Now PK, you can probably understand what I was saying... :noclue:

New York is a great city... what I find when trying to respond to your post is that anyone who tells you it's safe for any reason whatsoever sounds like an idiot. It's not safe stubbs. You have to start off with that in your brain from the outset.

However what I was thinking

NYC is the self proclaimed greatest city in the world. The world has other great, much older cities that have survived and thrived for centuries. But then NY loves to toot it's own horn, just like that arena they have.

NYC is not that safe after dark. And certain spots midtown look like a police state, which I don't think is a good thing. If it makes you feel better Stubbs, I'm sure Newark will look like a police state on game nights.

New York doesn't have to toot its own horn. :lol: If you really feel it has as much cultural & spiritual depth as Madison Square Garden you're not doing it right. But American self-deprecation is what makes us so charming and foolish to other cultures I guess - along with our generosity and naivet

Edited by Pepperkorn

PK: I replied to langsgirls incorrect statement: "If you can walk around New York City, you can walk around Newark..."

I felt that was incorrect because for one thing, NYC and Newark are not comparable because NYC, is the greatest city in the world. You've got security up the wazoo, and for the most part, everyone is friendly. Now when you said NYC, I assumed you meant Manhattan..., and if you did, then it's just not comparable to Newark.

For one thing, New York City (Manhattan), is an extremely desirable place to go.

And why you ask?:

---

----

And if she was trying to push the "Yankees Stadium VS Newark" point, she's still wrong, Yankee Stadium is an icon, and has been for decades.

The difference between Newark and Yankee Stadium, is that the crime grew near the stadium, rather than the crime is already in place, and then a stadium was built.

------

If you ever went to Newark(I know you're too young) you'd know you can walk around at 2 in the morning in the areas that have the restaraunts, the bars, and the clubs. There is lots of variety and fun things to do and in the areas people go into Newark to visit there is a police presence so that you can walk around and not have to worry.

-Scott

And why you ask?:

---

----

------

manhattan is not the only borough of NYC. I never said Manhattan, I said NYC. My comparison was simply saying that NYC also ahs a high crime rate.and one that we hear about in the media often..as do the locals about Newark. I have walked around Brooklyn as well and even Bronx.. although I havent done that since I was 17 or 18 now.

I also was very unaware of security being so tight in New York.. i do notice lots of police crossing guards in manhattan since 9-11 however i did not notice any before that and not in any other borough. I am not saying there artent any, im just saying i wouldnt really call the security in NYC overall in many years past up thru now Tight. Only tightness may be now after recent terrorism, but i was waslking around those boroughs before that.

I've worked and played in NYC, been there done that. Lost its appeal to me.

I know folks that have travelled the world and Paris, Vienna, London, Rome etc are all contenders for greatest city in the world. And the horrors they have lived to tell about and survived. As for myself I must reserve greatness, until I've seen them for myself.

Sorry, but I don't love NY. JMHO. But I love the Devils. Lets Go Devils! :evil:

New York is the Greatest City in The World.

No questions asked.

-----

And langsgirl, how can you compare New York from the past, when that's not what's going on now.

That's like saying Newark was safe during the '60s so it's safe now.

umm no -- cause the 60's was the past... 3-4 yrs ago althought defined as past is hardley a difference in Newark nor NYC except in manhattan and the airports.

So if Newark has a shooting yesterday but not today.,.. then newark is safe cause yesterday was the past. Im not talking decades here child I am talking a handful of years

Edited by langsgirl

I don't know how you define the "greatest" city. I agree that is is the economic capital of the world.

On the other hand, where are several cities that are more beautiful, more cultural and nicer to live in.

You shouldn't really be saying "no questions asked" until you have traveled a bit and seen what lies out there.

No questions asked.

-----

And langsgirl, how can you compare New York from the past, when that's not what's going on now.

umm no -- cause the 60's was the past... 3-4 yrs ago althought defined as past is hardley a difference in Newark nor NYC except in manhattan and the airports.

So if Newark has a shooting yesterday but not today.,.. then newark is safe cause yesterday was the past. Im not talking decades here child I am talking a handful of years

That made absolutely no sense.

I was making a comment towards you and you interpreted it the wrong way...

What the hell???

----------------------

Okay, you said New York City, was un safe and that you didn't sense a police presence, pre- 9-11.

How can you compare that to Newark considering New York is completely different, and quite a bit safer now?

Obviously there's still crime in both places, but since 9-11, New York crime, is WAAAY down...

Newark crime, there's a shooting every other day, and the citizens are rebelling against Sharpy to reduce crime.

And to think we want to put an arena there.

stubbs, how many of these cities have you visited?

I love New York. It has an energy and excitement than no place else has. But, I have *been* all over the world so I feel confident when I say that NYC is my favorite city. However, I can totally understand people that say they like other cities better. To each his own.

I would never be so presumptuous to say that any city is "the greatest in the world".

No questions asked.

-----

That made absolutely no sense.

I was making a comment towards you and you interpreted it the wrong way...

What the hell???

----------------------

Okay, you said New York City, was un safe and that you didn't sense a police presence, pre- 9-11.

How can you compare that to Newark considering New York is completely different, and quite a bit safer now?

Obviously there's still crime in both places, but since 9-11, New York crime, is WAAAY down...

Newark crime, there's a shooting every other day, and the citizens are rebelling against Sharpy to reduce crime.

And to think we want to put an arena there.

Good thing there are no shooting in New York and all the citizens that live there are angels. Stop talking about what you haven't experienced and trying to tell everyone what they should think.

-Scott