Devils “won’t need a timeout” before making their first pick in

msweet

The first round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft is still four weeks away, but the Devils have already done a lot of their homework to prepare to make their highest selection – No. 4 overall – since they selected Scott Niedermayer third overall in 1991.

There will be more work to do next week at the NHL Scouting Combine next week in Toronto. The top 102 prospects as ranked by NHL’s Central Scouting were invited for the week of meetings and testing, which begins on Monday and runs through next Saturday.

I spoke this week with Devils Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations and Director of Scouting David Conte to get his preliminary thoughts on this year’s draft, in which the Devils are scheduled to pick fourth and then probably not again until No. 75 (third round) with the conditional pick they acquired from Dallas in the Jamie Langenbrunner trade. (It would become a second-round pick if Dallas re-signs Langenbrunner before the draft. The Devils traded their 2011 second-round pick to Nashville in the Jason Arnott deal.)

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_wont_need_to_take_a_timeout_before_making_first_pick_in_2011_nhl_ent/

You know, i read this the other day and came away with the distinct feeling we are going with a D-MAN with our pick and if, IF i say, Larsson is gone at 4 i think we are trading back with Ottawa! Conte mentions Larsson, Murphy and Hamilton, now if the top 3 goes as most believe with RNH, Larsson and Huberdeau then we all know the best thing to do is trade the 4th for Ottawa's 6th and the 21st!(if possible)

At 6 we will get 1 of Murphy and Hamilton and with 21 we can take a center like Schiefele, Phillips, Khokhlachev or Zibanjead. We could go with a RW like Jensen, Rakell or Ratthe or even another d-man like Brodin, Beaulieu(gone by then i think) or Siemens.

(They could go with everyone's draft crush SC with 6 and 1 of the aforementioned d-men at 21)

If Larsson is gone, i believe trading back is the best thing for the team. We have to give up a 1st in the next few years, more then likely that 1st will end up in the 20+, so picking up the 21st this year would be like not losing that 1st! I made that as clear as mud....LOL!

Devils Fan For Life, Death To Leafs Nation!:horse:

:gd:

Edited by Devil in Leaf Nation

What could we really get from Ottawa that could be worth to sacrifice what Landeskog can bring really? i really think that kid has something special, most on here are saying that we dont need another LW but the guy can also play right wing im pretty sure i saw that somewhere that he was playing RW on some team

I have a really good feeling about this. I think for once, things are going to go OUR way.

Until we make our pick within 30 seconds, get fined by the NHL for selecting too fast and not giving Bettman adequate time to head back under his bridge, eat the soul of a small child and then emerge again for the next photo op, forfeit the pick and the rest of this year's picks.

i think its unlikely that ott would give us the 21st and 6th for two spots...although Murray might...surprised he got an extension

they also have 3 picks in the 2nd rd this year i believe

anyone else think the 21st is likely...

I agree, as i noted above, if it is possible to get the 6th and 21st outta Murray obviously we grab it! It may take a little extra to go with the 4th but Murray is a GM who wants someone specific and knows that he may have to over pay for it!

If Lou traded the pick for anything less than the 6th and Ottawa's 2nd rounder i would be absolutely disappointed. Right now only Lou, JVB and Conte really know the answer, and it may all be moot point if Lands is available at 3 and OTT or NYI pulls a trade to jump up.

Devils Fan For Life, Death To Leafs Nation! :horse:

Edited by Devil in Leaf Nation

Right now only Lou, JVB and Conte really know the answer, and it may all be moot point if Lands is available at 3 and OTT or NYI pulls a trade to jump up.

Devils Fan For Life, Death To Leafs Nation! :horse:

so many possibilities and who knows how things might change or possible deals between 2 or 3 teams come about on draft day....i am just want it to get here already...vancover vs. boston blo#$...can't stand vancover and not big on boston either