Pierre McGuire = My Hero

Don

Stevens and Roenick took pucks to the face, and Roenick had another concussion because of an elbow, as did Sykora in the 2000 finals, a flying elbow by Hatcher. other concussions had to do with sticks in the face like Suter on Kariya. Lindros can't skate with his head up, and that's something you should've learned from age 5, couple that with a glass jaw and you've got problems. I remember a hit he received in San Jose where the guy barely nudged him and he got a concussion

how many of those concussions are from actual high impact clean open ice hits and how many are from cheap hits. The NHL has been trying forever to limit the cheap stuff, but it won't ever go away.

Give Stevens credit for this: He stopped with the flying hip-checks at center ice after the Lindros hit. (Or maybe it was the Kozlov hit?)

Of course, I wish he hadn't, but for the safety of others...

<JESTER>

Okay, tipping my hand here that I've only become a fanatical Devils fan for a few years. Is the Kozlov you speak of, our newly acquired Kozlov? Was it in a playoff game? The Lindros hit is infamous, the Kariya hit wasn't too shabby either.

Stevens took a puck in the face in May and had symptoms in December. I think he has the same 'glass jaw' as Lindros if that hit by Varada re-triggered the symptoms.

I'm not saying don't crack down on the cheap stuff either. I'm saying hits to the head need to be punished, either with 5s and game misconducts, or with at least a one game suspension without pay if the 5 and game misconduct is missed in the game.

When has Stevens landed one of those hits that DIDN'T give someone a concussion?

Stevens got Kariya in the finals last year, no concussion. Also had a couple of nice hits against Domi and Tucker a few years ago, no concussions either. Sometimes players get hurt, sometimes they don't. But it's not as if Stevens lands those hits very often. The hit on Lindros in game 7 was a grazing blow that knocked him out, that's not a concussion type hit for everybody in the league.

you just can't punish shoulder to head hits, you can't contort the shoulder to hurt somebody like with the elbow. If you step into the player who has his head down, and his head strikes your shoulder or chest, is that a penalty? To me it would just be a silly rule.

To DevsRgreat: The hit by Stevens was on Slava Kozlov of the Detroit RedWings in the '95 Cup, not our current player, Victor Kozlov. Today, still the hardest open ice hit that I have ever seen.

All of Stevens hard hits have not resulted in concussions but some, yes, have achieved that result, such as the huge hit on Lindros. I believe Shane Willis suffered a concussion during the Carolina series but Ronnie Francis did not, although, Francis fell down several times when attempting to stand up and literally had to crawl across the ice to reach his bench. Francis commented later that after he received Stevens' check he had no idea where he was and he could not get his body to function. Scary at the time? Absolutely. Was Francis concussed? No. Lindros suffers from a weak "noggin" which happens to be hereditary, considering his brother Brett was forced to retire early in his career from the same ailment. Paul Kariya gets flattened in open ice by Stevens and then comes back to score a huge goal and play the rest of the series. Some athletes in any sport are more susceptible to certain injuries than others and that will never change.

I think the NHL will start calling things better like they did with the Bertuzzi thing. For Example Johnson deserved more games for his punch to the back of the head and Havlat deserved way more then two for his stick work on Recchi. If Recchi didn't have a visor on he could have had serious eye damage and might have been out for a while.

The NHL has to start giving bigger suspensions and not only if the other play gets injured badly. That should have not much affect.

Don, you've clearly never played the game. If you don't like the fighting watch ringette or broomball and leave hockey alone. The fact that you only responded to my obvious throwaway ad hominem while leaving the rest of it alone was telling.

You want fighting banned from hockey? If they remove the current policing method then every time a player would have used his fists to settle a score, instead he'll just wait til the refs aren't looking and chop him down with his stick. Banning fighting will result in more injuries, not less.

If you don't like the fighting watch ringette

Two for two. Batting 1.000.

And you are right. I never did play the game. At the age of 4 months my father made me a pair of hockey skates. My first Xmas present ever was a Stan Mikita doll. However, at the age of 3 my doctor gave the family a choice: I not play hockey or I undergo repeated, painful, elective surgery on my ankle. My parents couldn't afford the surgery. Twelve months after the doctor's diagnosis, my brother was born. From then on, from the age of 4 to 24 I got the same sh!t for 20 years... "What kind of man are you?", "So, it's your 13th birthday - about time to go out and get you a bra, eh?", "You want shorts for school? Wouldn't a skirt be more appropriate?". I haven't spoken to my father in 7 years, and hopefully never will again.

I have stress from work. There is stress in life - bills to pay, family members to take care of, sick friends in the hospital. I come to this website as a means of escape. A place to hang out with fellow Devil fans. Share information. Have an intelligent debate on a topic or two. Not to be told "you don't count because you never played hockey" and "go watch ringette you panty-wearer." So I'm out. You win. It ain't worth it. I don't need the headaches and the anger. I took the personal insults long enough and I'm through with it. You want a debate on the facts, I'm there. You want to toss about personal insults that's your prerogative, but sitting here having others question my manhood (and you're not the only one - I've gotten "You a hairdresser?" from another njdevs member earlier this week...), well, that just ain't my game.

What does having played the game or not have to do with anything???? A lot of folks have things to say about Politics and War, but I'd bet the zamboni they've never participated in either.

Don, ignore the ignorance, I know it's not always easy. Folks must get over themselves, it is an opinion. And believe it or not, everyone is entitled to one.

JMHO.