forum topics

onritam7

:argh::argh: Hi, my name is Art and I was wondering if anyone near New Jersey knows why the hell ESPN doesn't hire Mike Emrick to do some games when he's not doing your team's games. He's by far the best in the U.S. (...haven't watched CBC so I wouldn't have a informative opinion on their announcers) and ESPN just sends to the third-best ABC game and usually a game on the west coast! It's not fair that we can't listen to the best hockey announcer calling the most important games. Who the hell are making these decisions? Dumb and dumber? It's a joke if I turn on my TV Thurs./Fri. and not hear Doc on one of these series. Seriously, who the hell decided Steve Levy and Gary Throne are better than Doc. Thank god NHL Radio has Doc doing the conference finals but I can't get those games because the stupid "sports" radio station in D.C. airs only NBA and Baltimore Orioles baseball and they don't even talk about the Orioles. Gimme a break! Someone help me out! Thanks for letting me vent. BTW, if you hear a loud bang outside ESPN's studios that's me throwing my damn TV at their satellite dish when the playoffs are over!

I hate to defend ESPN here but I believe they offered him a job but he said it conflicted with his Fox Sports contract. He would have had to stop broadcasting Devils games to do ESPN work. He can, and does, do some ABC work but the ESPN work was not possible.

NOW. Would you rather have him for almost EVERY Devils game, or a few ESPN games. Look at it that way.

Allright who's the NJDevs appointed Keeper of Doc ? Lets get him in there... :rant:   :rant:

Me! Me!

Hey, I agree with Art. Doc is head & shoulders above any other U.S. hockey play-by-play guy. NOBODY stays with the game like Doc. And I love it when he throws in his little dry humor comments that you can completely miss if you're not paying attention.

ESPN is just too stupid to know, or too uninterested in hockey to care. Otherwise it would be a no-brainer! Since he does first round coverage for them, I doubt there's anything in his contract that would keep him from doing later rounds. Personally, I'd enjoy Doc and J.D. together.

Edited by Nieuwy25

Why would you want one of the best announcers to go to E$PN, the station that caters to bad people and bad events? Why ruin one of the games best?

Doc is too nice for E$PN now a days...shoot even Mike Danton has a better shot to get on NHL 2 Nite, he fits their mold perfectly...

True, but when we're stuck with ESPN/ABC for rounds 3 & 4, wouldn't it be nice to hear Doc's intelligent game-calling?

Yeah, but they probably aren't going to kick Gary Thorne out for someone who turned them down and doesn't work for them on a regular basis throughout the year. It's unfortunate but true. We're stuck with the idiot brigade.

Doc refused the ESPN job when it was offered to him.

To be ASSociated with such knowledgeable and respected journalists ? Why would he turn that down :rolleyes:

Yeah Doc knows the score....

*Gee 2 puns in one thread he thinks...its like Haiku or something* in his best Dangerfield... :evil:

Doc has too much class to sell out! Doc Rules.....

Espn should cover table tennis before hockey because they suck at it!

Talk about total disrespect...apparently Clarke went on one of the Philadelphia radio stations this morning and was telling jokes about the Devils organization and players. There was a discussion and link to it over on the ESPN Devils board. I saw some of the jokes but could not get the link to open up all the way. Doesn't Bobby Clarke have any idea about the position he holds??? He is the GM of an NHL team!!! Doesn't he KNOW better than this??? You do not do that!!! Can anyone imagine Lou saying this about the Flyers, about any team (which Clarke apparently said):

What's the difference between the NJ Devils and an Irishman???

The Irishman stays around for the second round.

Doesn't this man understand his public position??? Is he really THAT MUCH of a BUFFOON????

Doc is by far the best! Thorne is really bad, but the absolute worst thing was Chris Berman trying to talk hockey last year!

Berman and hockey. :argh:

You know, I think Thorne is basically a good announcer. I like his enthusiasm. But then his butchering of names, and bad calls, and love for Colorado get in the way. . . . :blink:

2 posts in a row! :rant:

Edited by Nieuwy25

What's weird is no one sets him straight. I don't know what to say. Manners, honor, respect - Self respect -- they have no meaning :( People say Why should i be respectful or behave in a gracious manner if being a rude pig gets me what I want just as easily? I never know how to react to that. I have no answer - whatever I'd say would be meaningless to that kind of person. It's really depressing to me.

Doc has too much class to sell out! Doc Rules.....

Espn should cover table tennis before hockey because they suck at it!

Yep -Ive seen Table Tennis on ESPN last month....Xtreme Table Tennis I believe it was called ...I sh!t you not :blink::evilcry:

Oh that figures... ESPN wouldn't know hockey if they were cracked in the head by a puck...

Morons!

Edited by Devildude