Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Oh yeah almost forgot: thanks for not using your best reliever for the 9th, Terry. Even your standard manager goes to the closer at home in the 9th. Scott Rice is a freakin' career minor league veteran.

Unless it's Willie letting Heilman stay in the ninth inning of Game 7 against the Cards instead of going to Wagner lol (not that I could blame him for that one with how god-awful Wagner was in that series).

But yeah Parnell needed to be in the game.  Not PH'ing Buck was also curious, since he was coming in for the other catcher anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Oh yeah almost forgot: thanks for not using your best reliever for the 9th, Terry. Even your standard manager goes to the closer at home in the 9th. Scott Rice is a freakin' career minor league veteran.

Haha NOW Ike homers. Figures.

Let's face it, Collins is probably a bit of a stopgap too, though I'm not sure who the obvious upgrade is going to be.

Let's face it, Collins is probably a bit of a stopgap too, though I'm not sure who the obvious upgrade is going to be.

Well he's on the last year of his contract and the front office hasn't really given him much of an endorsement that he'll be back next year. I think he's brought back if they are surprisingly competitive (read: .500ish team), otherwise I think he goes. With the way he's moved up the ladder, Wally Backman seems like a very strong favorite to replace him.

I try not to go crazy over managers since they are all basically wired the same. I'm not going to pin this loss on TC for not going to Parnell right away -- it's part of the blame, sure -- but not his fault they scored just 2 runs and couldn't convert on such a great opportunity in the 8th.

4978: Oof, don't remind me, re: Game 7 lol. And yeah not pinch-hitting Buck for Recker was odd. TC has been falling in love with Turner lately, it seems.

Edited by nmigliore

Well he's on the last year of his contract and the front office hasn't really given him much of an endorsement that he'll be back next year. I think he's brought back if they are surprisingly competitive (read: .500ish team), otherwise I think he goes. With the way he's moved up the ladder, Wally Backman seems like a very strong favorite to replace him.

I try not to go crazy over managers since they are all basically wired the same. I'm not going to pin this loss on TC for not going to Parnell right away -- it's part of the blame, sure -- but not his fault they scored just 2 runs and couldn't convert on such a great opportunity in the 8th.

4978: Oof, don't remind me, re: Game 7 lol. And yeah not pinch-hitting Buck for Recker was odd. TC has been falling in love with Turner lately, it seems.

Not sure if you remember a NBA coach named Bill Fitch, but towards the end of his coaching career his job basically became "Take over a team that's in a world of sh!t and hold the seat warm until the team looks like it's kind of on the way back, then move aside for someone else."  I think that's what Collins was hired to be since he first came here...he was going to have to pull rabbits out of his hat for the Mets to think of him as a long-term guy.

Yeah, I know about Backman...seems risky, since he seems like he can be a bit of a loose cannon.

Watching Wheeler right now. He cruised through the first 4 innings but the wheels have fallen off a bit in the 5th. The announcer has mentioned his velocity frequently and it's been 96 to 99.

Still hasn't had problems missing bats; Mike Zunino, the #3 overall pick in last year's draft, is 0-for-3 with 3 strikeouts against him.

Edited by nmigliore

Wheeler gave up a leadoff homer in the 6th and then hit a batter on an 0-2 pitch. Backman pulls him, 102 pitches. Final line is ugly but he was better than that. He's just not ready yet though, still too many bouts of losing the strikezone.

At least Gee's velocity continues to trend up a bit. Averaged 89.83 tonight and only one fastball was a tick below 88. He really looked fantastic up until that 6th inning; a few singles and then the Howard homer just ruined everything.

Edited by nmigliore

Edgin was sent down for Marcum. He was assigned to AA to avoid the PCL environment, which shows you it's more of an assignment to get his head cleared and try to build up some confidence before returning. I would have sent Carson down instead, but I don't mind this, as I like the fact Familia stays.

And there is disaster. John Buck please learn how to catch a fvcking pop up. You know, like every team does against us.

Also maybe Colin Cowturd shouldn't be in short left when a massive pull power hitter is at the plate. That ball did stay in the yard. It could've been caught. Niese should've just stayed in to face Frandsen at that point. Even with a high pitch count

swept by a team that came in 9-14. Phillies are now 9-1 against us in the last 10 we've played dating back to last year. And this is a Phillies team in decline. Just not acceptable.

Also, 3-1 pitch to murphy in the 7th. Tejada on 2nd, Wright up next. Why swing and pop it up? Don't you want to get on base so Wright has 2 on instead of 1

and man has that strike zone changed for Bastardo. Ump a big Phillies fan here.

Edited by '7'

When the GM clearly had no interest in doing much to improve the '13 product, I can't get mad when the team starts playing to expectation.  Not knocking Sandy, that's just the reality.

Oh well, being around .500 for a while was fun while it lasted...hell, the team was 7-4 not so long ago.  3-9 since.  Now it's about looking forward to Harvey starts, hoping Niese has a good year, hoping Wheeler can find the strike zone more consistently, and that Strikeout fvcking Kingman stops sucking the way he does.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976