Blues sign Mayers, Lalime

insanity_gallops

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=91117

Blues sign Lalime and Mayers

What the hell?! :lol:

patrick_79207.jpg

Canadian Press

7/15/2004

(CP) - The St. Louis Blues re-signed netminder Patrick Lalime and winger Jamal Mayers on Thursday, avoiding salary arbitration with both players.

Lalime agreed to a one-year, $2.9-million US deal with a club option for 2005-06 at $3.2 million. Club option? Guess the revolving door continues in St. Louis.

The deadline for eligible restricted free agents to file for salary arbitration was scheduled for Thursday at midnight EDT.

``This contract is an excellent result for the Blues and Patrick,'' Blues GM Larry Pleau said in a statement. ``I spent time with Patrick last week and I came away very impressed. Patrick is determined and ready for the challenge.''

The Blues acquired Lalime's rights from the Ottawa Senators at the NHL entry draft on June 27. The 30-year-old replaces Chris Osgood as the No. 1 goalie, the Blues releasing Osgood on July 1.

Lalime went 25-23-7 with a 2.29 goals-against average in 57 games with Ottawa last season but struggled in a first-round playoff loss to Toronto.

Mayers, 29, accepted his one-year, $880,000 qualifying offer. He had 11 points (6-5) and 91 penalty minutes in 80 games last season.

I like my Lalime picture better... the one I have hung in my office. His head down, defeated, exhasperated and shoulders slouched (which is a pretty mean feat for a goaltender).... a puck just over the line behind him. :P