New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Isnt it interesting how after Verrett loaded the bases the next Padre hitter didnt swing at the first garbage ball 1 and ground into a DP as the Mets are mandated to do

Interesting how hitters with a brain approach hitting. It's almost as if they are selective.

Dead team walkin.  Just an awful year for this franchise.  

And sorry Logan, but that's all.  If he gets another start, then Terry is full of sh!t.  

Mets bullpen retires 19 in a row lol...honestly they might be better off going by committee once every five days rather than anoiting another crap fifth starter, just let Robles and Lugo pitch the first 5-6 innings and go from there.

Of course after the game Terry predictably says Niese gets the next start :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Wow Terry...how creative.  But that's the "might as well, by the numbers" move I guess.

17 minutes ago, '7' said:

This team doesn't deserve deGrom. Score some runs and get him a damn W!

Seriously...THIS would be such a Met loss.

But these days the only way the Mets can't lose a game is 10-9, and that's only cause the last time they scored nine runs was probably when Delgado and Beltran were in the middle of the order.

14 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And how exactly did the Yankees become the exciting team in town after liquidating at the trade deadline while we're the old, boring team now just months after we were the new, exciting powerhouse.

Yea that is a bit irritating, but they are still fairly talented even after the sellout, and they are getting guys playing at or above expectations.

But their run differential is like -21, so they are probably lucky too, but they win series against good teams. Giants, Orioles, Indians, Sox...2 of 3 all the time.

They see a lot of Toronto/Seattle/Baltimore the rest of August.

September is a VERY hard month for the Yankees so it wouldn't shock me if they went into a bit of a slump.

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

lol you have GOT to be kidding me.  When Familia looks like crap he still gets cheap saves, he dominates the first two hitters and then he gives it up :rant:

I'm done. I quit. This team is so cursed.

The 2016 Mets are the most tortured unlucky team I've seen since the 2008 Mets which were the most tortured unlucky team I've seen since the 2007 Mets

11 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And the boos were REAL loud for Familia coming off the field, though I suspect they're at the team in general for somehow failing to win a game on the homestand.

He deserves them. This whole team deserves every drop of scorn. I have never seen so many players historically underperform plus the bad injury luck plus the unclutch hitting. Hitting so unclutch that it is only challenged by a team 50 years ago

Familia is infuriating now, but I have enough built up cache with him that I'll let it slide, but he absolutely has to go on a dominant run again and soon. 

Granted he has pitched a sh!t ton of late. That idiotic Rockies game where he was gassed and unavailable and still pitched. Not really on him

The guy still had an enormous run or regular season saves in a row, and was put in incredibly tough situations in the WS because our manager is braindead. And he was let down by braindead fielding

But the game 1 quick pitch HR. That's on him.

44 minutes ago, '7' said:

Familia is infuriating now, but I have enough built up cache with him that I'll let it slide, but he absolutely has to go on a dominant run again and soon. 

Granted he has pitched a sh!t ton of late. That idiotic Rockies game where he was gassed and unavailable and still pitched. Not really on him

The guy still had an enormous run or regular season saves in a row, and was put in incredibly tough situations in the WS because our manager is braindead. And he was let down by braindead fielding

But the game 1 quick pitch HR. That's on him.

He's Armando Benitez. No better, no worse. That's all he is. He's nothing special. A dime a dozen, especially this day in age when everyone can throw in the upper 90s.

2 hours ago, capo said:

He's Armando Benitez. No better, no worse. That's all he is. He's nothing special. A dime a dozen, especially this day in age when everyone can throw in the upper 90s.

no, not at all. He has not had nearly the same amount of melt downs as Benitez. Now...can his career eventually lead down the Benitez path? Sure it can. Truly special closers are rare. However he is coming off a 50 consecutive regular season save streak which is incredibly impressive. Even in the postseason last year...in 14.2 playoff innings he allowed 5 hits. That's all.

Benitez allowed 10 home runs in 2000. 12 home runs in 2001. 

That Wil Myers home run was the first Familia has allowed all season. After the St. Louis/Colorado implosions (and again no sane manager has him out there vs Colorado the next day) he has pitched the last 6 innings giving up 0 runs.

I still don't think we quite know how good we have it with him. I mean Benitez back in the day would not only let them tie the game but he would give up the lead. Familia at least doesn't get flustered and can regain his composure.

Edited by '7'

I also don't remember Benitez having two shutout innings in a one-run deciding playoff game the way Familia did in Game 5 against the Dodgers last year.

Closers having perfect regular seasons is rare, that's why it was such a freaking big deal when Familia did it through the ASB as illusory as it was at the time.  Even the elite closers blow 5-6 games every regular season.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Familia dodges bullets and a lot of it is luck. The 50 saves isn't what looks like on paper. Especially this year.

Benitez also pitched in the steroid era whereas Familia is pitching in the deadbat era.

Edited by capo