2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, '7' said:

And with the Dodgers hitters...you're telling me that they're conceding essentially only down 5? The Dodgers can easily put 5 up in an inning. What on earth was that about? Frankly imho no position player should ever take the mound unless it's a 9 run deficit 

Right? Especially since we’re talking Lugo and Diaz, not exactly Rivera and Wetteland circa 1996. But I’m sure some bean counter there will say it’s a 2% or less chance of coming back while you have a greater risk of using up your pen after one lousy inning. Plus you have more teams in the playoffs with the seven in format, and three game series for most, they know they’ll be in the postseason one way or another so they can get lazy and take a nap at the end of a game.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

People are oohing and aahing over Alonso and Lindor and those impressive RBI totals...the two guys that I feel are the unsung heroes on this team are Marte and Canha. Just two solid, veteran, professional good hitters who always have a plan at the plate. Both have had so many key at bats...drawing key walks, getting important late game hits. 

Trevor Williams held it together through 4. Can't ask for much more from him. We're in the 5th and the Mets are still very much alive in this game.

Angels drop their 11th in a row…they took a 5-0 lead and had a 7-6 lead heading into the bottom of the ninth against the Phillies, but gave up a 3-run HR to lose the game.  Man has their season fallen apart in a hurry.  Noah takes the mound for them Tuesday (they’re off tomorrow).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

LOL Buck actually has the cajones to pitch Diaz in the 8th with the heart of the Dodger order and leave Lugo for the ninth and he fubars a two run lead. Shame that that’ll only make managers even more gunshy to deploy their best reliever for the best hitters, no matter the inning.

Now Medina for the 10th lol, guess Smith and Holderman are unavailable?

Just now, '7' said:

This is setting up for a bottom of the 10th disaster. Mets needed more than 1 there. 

JD giveth then taketh away, that was a base running boner. Not like he was gonna score if that bloop fell, just stay there for fvcks sake

HUGE spilt.  Especially after having lost the first two games.

Lugo’s no scrub, but he’s definitely no sure thing either.

This team as a whole is earning more and more respect and trust.   

• Like 1

It's a good thing the Mets salvaged these two games since the Phillies got at least temporarily well with the new manager bounce against another struggling team while the Braves got over .500.  Not that there's any real reason to worry about the Phillies yet, but the Braves can fatten up the next couple weeks.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I can’t worry about the Braves until they pull to within 5 of the Mets.  I need to see them really sustain something…they dug themselves a deep enough hole that winning 5-6 in a row isn’t going to cut it.  They gotta go on a real extended tear, just to get back in it.

Braves sort of worry me but sort of don't. Still don't really trust their offense...they feasted in Colorado as many do. They have a cupcake sched until June 20th or so (though the Pirates aren't a total pushover) just gotta hope that by 6/20 they're not like on some 14-3 run. Still that would only put them at 37-30. We should be no worse than 44-25 (ish) at that time. Somewhere in that range

If the Mets can get out of this brutal West coast + Brew Crew at home gauntlet no worse than 4-5 then they will be extremely well positioned heading into the real heat of summer. Then we start seeing Miami (finally) Texas, the Cubs, Cinci. And hopefully deGrom and Scherzer are close to returning or back by then. Though tough to put a timetable on both

• Like 1

If the Phillies plan on making a run, now is the time, after Milwaukee they have an easy 11 (Zona, Miami + 5 with Washington) I still see that as a fatally flawed team where something is just wrong...off, though it's tough to precisely put your finger on what it is.  If Milwaukee slaps them down and then they beat up on the Dbacks, Marlins and Nats I would still seem them as phony. I don't trust those starters and that bullpen is the definition of chokers. With the expanded playoffs I'm not sure I foresee them tearing that team apart as they should be in somewhat striking distance of the last playoff seed the rest of the season plus they've spent a ton of $. But that team just doesn't strike fear in anyone. 

52 minutes ago, '7' said:

Braves sort of worry me but sort of don't. Still don't really trust their offense...they feasted in Colorado as many do. They have a cupcake sched until June 20th or so (though the Pirates aren't a total pushover) just gotta hope that by 6/20 they're not like on some 14-3 run. Still that would only put them at 37-30. We should be no worse than 44-25 (ish) at that time. Somewhere in that range

If the Mets can get out of this brutal West coast + Brew Crew at home gauntlet no worse than 4-5 then they will be extremely well positioned heading into the real heat of summer. Then we start seeing Miami (finally) Texas, the Cubs, Cinci. And hopefully deGrom and Scherzer are close to returning or back by then. Though tough to put a timetable on both

Yeah, that's the problem when you dig yourself that kind of hole, where you're under .500 well into the season, and the team ahead of you is playing well over .600 ball...you need to tear it up for a lot longer than 17 games against softer competition.  Like you said, 14-3 only gets them to 37-30.  Do the Mets really seem like they're going to fall THAT far off their current pace?  More and more they're solidifying themselves as a team that's going to be somewhere in the mid-90s (figure 93-97 wins)...I'm not going to say that it's impossible for the Braves to do that, but they'd have to go 65-42 just to get to 93-69.  And that probably doesn't get it done.

The Mets have a 5-game series against the Braves in early August...that's the one to circle.  Braves might very well need ALL of those games to have any chance at all.  

Smallballin’…love it.  Somehow over the course of one offseason, this team has completely flushed Sandyball down the toilet.  And I couldn’t be happier about that.

Wow…Escobar just hit for the cycle…and drove in 6 runs tonight.  Maybe NOW he gets into a real groove…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the Mets are up 7-2 headed to the bottom of the eighth, then give up a three-run dinger…and get the runs right back in the top of the ninth and then some.  Up 11-5.  This team’s got some magic.

• Like 1

Escobar with the cycle. GREAT to see. Needed him to turn into that at least .255 ish with a .300+ obp player that we know he's capable of being (the K's will always be there) but he had to start knocking in some runs and he pick up 6 rbi's today

Outstanding job by Carrasco. Bullpen was taxed yesterday and he gutted out 7 innings for us. Drew Smith crumbled but the Mets offense has been outright relentless. Every Met has a hit today and they've added 4 walks on top of that

The Padres are no pushover, but the Mets offense on some days...it's going to be a nightmare to pitch too. Forget Alonso and Lindor for a moment...Canha, Marte, McNeil and now Escobar when he's rolling. They have a plan at the plate, run up pitch counts. Nimmo too, he'll have those 7, 8, 9 pitch at bats. I believe we have the highest OBP in baseball. Just a well assembled lineup

Edited by '7'

I’ve said this before, but it’s been vital that we actually are getting the Carrasco this year we were advertised before last year, I was worried we might never see the Cleveland Carrasco here with age and injury. Carrasco and Bassit being our #3 and #4 starters if everyone is healthy would be something 

MLB is batting .240...Mets are hitting .267 (they lead the majors).  They've also put up a .749 OPS...even better, they're only middle-of-the-pack in HR...and they don't strike out much.  Smallball is such a better way to go (I LOVE teams that actually make contact and put the damned ball in play...seems like such a novel concept), than constantly being dependent on HR and the feast-or-famine that comes with that style of offense.

If the Mets win one more game out of their next three, that's yet another better-than-.500 record for another group of 10 games (they're already 5-2 so far for this current group).  That would be 6 straight better-than-.500 groups of 10 to start their season.  What I love about this is that it helps to completely dishearten a team like the Braves...like I've said previously, it's basically impossible to make up significant ground on a team that's winning 6 or 7 out of every 10 games.  The Mets are just not giving the teams below them ANY openings at all (remember when they hovered at around 7-8 games over .500 last year, before falling off a cliff?).

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I’ve said this before, but it’s been vital that we actually are getting the Carrasco this year we were advertised before last year, I was worried we might never see the Cleveland Carrasco here with age and injury. Carrasco and Bassit being our #3 and #4 starters if everyone is healthy would be something 

Yeah he's been pretty damned good...he's allowed 2 ER or less in 8 out of 11 starts.  His ERA (3.52) doesn't really reflect how solid he's been most games.  

On another note...12 losses and counting for the Angels.  Hope they don't suddenly come to life against the Mets.  

• Like 1