2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

32 minutes ago, '7' said:

When the Mets play these teams I expect the same level of quitting they have for Atlanta. 

I think those teams are largely that bad...Oakland has a team BA of .211, Pittsburgh was at .221, and the Nationals have an ERA well over 5.00.  

Thank god the Brew Crew screwed up just enough tonight for the Mets to nab the win (after trailing 4-1 to boot).  Schedule now eases up some.  

Yea and it's a shoulder too. He's having an MRI today for what they're saying is "shoulder discomfort". I can't imagine this will be good. In fact it can be very very bad. Would be surprised if whatever this is isn't season ending. 

Canha with a huge home run for us. He is so damn solid and maybe the most underappreciated piece of this team. A quality professional hitter, and somebody who has always known how to get on base.

Nice job by Lugo and Smith last night as well. Hope they can keep it up

Jesus Christ fvcknuts throw strikes!  Medina did get out of a bases loaded jam previously though.

CAN WE DRILL SOMEONE PLEASE?!  CHARGE THE DAMNED MOUND?!  How many times do you guys have to get hit before you do ANYTHING about it?!

44 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Alonso might just be on his way to the best offensive season in Mets history (even better than the 53-120 in his rookie season), or at least the best by anyone not named Piazza.

Yeah it sure feels that way.  The RBI total is just insane…long way to go though.  

Mets one win away from clinching yet another winning “group of 10” record…they’re 5-2 so far for this latest batch. That’s how you withstand a team like the Braves going on a hot streak.  They just can’t make up enough ground.  All that hard work and just like that, they fall back a couple more games.

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Before the season Lugo was still probably the reliever I had the most confidence in...that's long over with now.  He might be shot, or just having an off year that 'most' relievers usually have.

Yeah in big spots I don’t trust him or Diaz (even though Edwin’s obviously been quite good most of this season). I put Lugo in the overrated category…but to be fair, it’s not like the Mets are constantly blowing games (hard to have a record like theirs if you are).  Sometimes it just doesn’t go your way.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

So the Mets clinch a winning record for their seventh set of 10 games.  They’ll finish with either 6 or 7 wins for this latest batch.  7-3 or 6-4 for each group of 10…the overall consistency really is amazing.

Yeah when you realize that deGrom has yet to throw a pitch in the regular season and Scherzer’s been out since mid-May…not really much to bitch about (though of course we’ll find things).  Hope McNeil’s OK.

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2022 at 2:57 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Six groups of 10 games played now:

First:  7-3

Second:  7-3

Third:  6-4

Fourth:  6-4

Fifth:  7-3

Sixth:  6-4

Doesn’t get much more consistent than that.

Seventh (so far):  6-3

Still have not lost 3 in a row.  They've lost two in a row just four times all season.  

Records by month:

April:  15-7

May:  19-10

June (so far):  11-7 (this was supposed to be the month that would "expose" the Mets some, especially without deGrom and Scherzer).  

They don't overwhelm...they just find ways to win.  Good enough for me.

To put it another way, if the Mets were 45-24 WITH deGrom and Scherzer healthy and pitching well...I would have been plenty happy with that too.  So to be doing that largely without those two...damn.

The Lugo game loss still irritates me, but can't complain at all over what the Mets did this past weekend. Going forward I think this offense could definitely use some more power...outside of Pete things are a bit lacking. Is it an absolute MUST...well no. The lineup as it is constructed can win with a healthy Scherzer/deGrom, I'd just like to bolster it a bit with another guy who can wreck a game with a home run.

What a strange year...feels like there are so many putrid teams this year. At least 6 clubs (Cubs, Nats, Royals, Reds, A's, Tigers) have that 100 loss feel to them. Not that they all will, but these are some bad bad clubs as CR has mentioned before.

After a brief respite, the Mets once again face top competition, the Houston Astros

Edited by '7'

1 minute ago, '7' said:

The Lugo game loss still irritates me, but can't complain at all over what the Mets did this past weekend. Going forward I think this offense could definitely use some more power...outside of Pete things are a bit lacking. Is it an absolute MUST...well no. The lineup as it is constructed can win with a healthy Scherzer/deGrom, I'd just like to bolster it a bit with another guy who can wreck a game with a home run.

What a strange year...feels like there are so many putrid teams this year. At least 6 clubs (Cubs, Nats, Royals, Reds, A's, Tigers) have that 100 loss feel to them. Not that they all will, but these are some bad bad clubs as CR has mentioned before.

Oh there's going to be irritating losses for sure...and it's not a team that's flawless.  I actually like that they don't rely on HRs to produce...it feels like those are the kinds of teams that wind up getting shut down in come playoff time.  If they can nab a power bat at the deadline, great, but not screaming for it.

They keep winning so that's covering up some ills, but I wonder how much longer the Mets will be able to keep getting by with Tomas Nido as their "by default" everyday catcher.  He's had some nice moments, but the guy has a .293 OPS over his last 10 games...I know they have the 20-year-old Francisco Alvarez in AA and he's hitting there (does strike out a lot too), but might be too early to bring up him up.    I know McCann is coming back, but seriously, does that prospect excite ANYONE?!  He's put up a .631 OPS as a Met.

And you are right, some rotten teams indeed...and better teams will be able to feast on them, like the Braves just did.  And I get the "tank" mentality of some of those bad teams...it doesn't make that much sense to bring in a couple of mid-tier (but still kinda pricey) mehish free agents who help to make your team a 70-something win team, instead of 60-something wins...so many of those expensive "Hey look we did SOMETHING!" backpage moves wind up not making much difference.  You've got a handful of teams that can truly buy whatever they want (the Mets are obviously now one of them), and many other ones that have to build through the draft and enjoy cheap, cost-controlled young talent while they have it, and maybe find ways to keep a couple of those players, but can't keep terrific young cores together for long.  It's not great for competitive balance, that's for sure.

And man, some of these free agent signings...imagine being stuck with Stroman right now?  Or Matz?  I gotta admit it, I've said it before, but if deGrom opts out, I don't re-sign him.  I love the dude and he's absolutely been the best pitcher in all of MLB at times when he's been healthy, but no way I give him a long-term raise based on the last two seasons.

Speaking of feasting...the Braves have gone 16-2 in June.  Mets have gone 11-7, and got a tough road trip out of the way.  Yeah, the Braves have picked up 5 games on the Mets, but still find themselves trailing by a good chunk, and with tougher opponents on their schedule ahead.  Kinda nice when the team behind you wins a sh!tload of games and still isn't nipping at your heels.   

Suffice it to say that the Mets have flunked this two-game test.  Disappointing, but given how the year's gone to date, and still being down two key cogs in the rotation, can't beat them up THAT much for this.

And let's not pretend that Carrasco is all that great.  He somehow has a 7-2 record over his last 10 starts, but the league is hitting .300 against him in those games (.793 OPS) and his ERA for those 10 starts is 4.76.  His 8-2 record is making him look much better than he's really been (which is erratic at best).    

Mets threatening in the top of the 6th...gotta give them credit, they do battle.  So many times in the past (especially with many of Sandy's teams), being down 4-0 in the first meant that the game was absolutely over.  I also should've remembered that games aren't over in this ballpark until they're actually over.

Dom can go right back to AAA.  And has Escobar done much of anything other than hit for the cycle?!  At least the Mets are back in it for now. 

Sounds like Carrasco had back tightness...guess that's another bullet dodged for the moment, seems like other than Jake (and to a degree Max) we've had a lot of injuries that 'could' have been serious but weren't.

He's one of those guys that is either really solid or really bad...a bit Bartolo-esque

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Sounds like Carrasco had back tightness...guess that's another bullet dodged for the moment, seems like other than Jake (and to a degree Max) we've had a lot of injuries that 'could' have been serious but weren't.

He's one of those guys that is either really solid or really bad...a bit Bartolo-esque

Bartolo was often better as a Met...we know about the implosion outings, but 75% of the time he gave his team a legit shot to win.

Carrasco now has a 5.34 ERA in his last 11 starts.  Six of them were "good enough to win" type outings, and the Mets indeed did win all of those games.  The other five were simply bad (the Mets lost four of them).  

Bassitt owns a 5.80 ERA over his last 7 starts.  Credit to the Mets for winning as much as they have given all of the adversity, but it really feels like they'll have to add a starting pitcher at the deadline...sounds crazy given all of the depth that they had at the start of the season, but I can't trust Carrasco and Bassitt...especially since Bassitt's not exactly known as an innings guy (his career high for a season is 157.1, set last season).  And who knows how long Walker's going to keep it up.    

Yankees are obviously having a great year, but on top of everything else...they've allowed all of eight unearned runs all season long.  EIGHT!  The Mets generally play solid D and don't beat themselves much in the field, and even they've allowed 17 unearned runs (on average teams are allowed 28 unearned runs to this point).