2022 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Well that’s Walker for ya.  Always prone to massive longballs, anytime.  And just like that, Diaz now tasked with nailing down a five-out save.  

Man getting sick of these friggin’ guys constantly coming up small in so many big spots lately.  Runners stranded at third all night.  So many missed opportunities.

And how in fvck did the 2nd base ump call the runner safe when he never touched the bag?!  Replay challenge came in plenty handy there.

Diaz gets it done, but he’s been getting hit harder lately.  

And the Phillies look like they’re going to blow it against the Braves.  Up 2-1, then their reliever promptly walks the leadoff hitter and gives up a two-run bomb.  Maybe the Phil can regain the lead in the top of the ninth…not like the Braves don’t have closer issues at the moment.

Well the Phillies show why they’re a distant third in the NL East.  That’s how it goes when you’re a combined 11-21 against the teams you’re chasing…not to mention blowing a game like tonight’s.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Mets now 8-7 for this allegedly easy game stretch.  Win today and they went 9-7…disappointing obviously, but at least not full-on disastrous.  

At least the Mets did their job this weekend and got back some of what they pissed away in recent weeks with a sweep here.  Too bad the Phillies laid a turd egg and got swept by the Braves themselves.  Still a game up (tied in the loss column) with eight games left before the big showdown.

Yeah at least the Mets recovered enough not to have made this stretch full-on infuriating.  9-7 is tolerable.  

Playing the schedule game sucks as the last two weeks proved, but if the Mets go 5-3 and the Braves 6-4 before the three game series you'd probably have to sign for that.  Or sign for any scenario that keeps us one game up, cause then basically one win in Atlanta puts the magic number at one for winning the division after sewing up the tiebreaker.  Problem is the Braves have six games against the Nationals out of the ten and the other four in Philly.  Not sure you can really count on the Nationals for more than a game at most...two might be pushing it.  Ideally they at least split the four in Philly though from what we saw this weekend I'm not as sure of that lol

I’d say Pete got all of that one…damn.  Would be awesome to see him heat back up as the regular season winds down.

• Like 1

No Mets fans can tell me that they feel warm and fuzzy when Carrasco takes the mound.  I know his ERA is respectable and I know he’s won 15 games.  But he gives up a lot of hits and he gets hit hard by better lineups.  I have no interest in seeing him start any playoff games.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No Mets fans can tell me that they feel warm and fuzzy when Carrasco takes the mound.  I know his ERA is respectable and I know he’s won 15 games.  But he gives up a lot of hits and he gets hit hard by better lineups.  I have no interest in seeing him start any playoff games.  

It’s either gonna be him or Walker pitching a fourth game with the playoff schedule as condensed as it is assuming they at least get out of the first round…I go back and forth on him and Walker but I think the fact Carrasco has slightly more pen experience plus the fact Walker seems to be over his second half swoon leads me to trending towards Walker as the fourth starter

Incredible incredible totally unexpected CLUTCH victory by the Mets. 

The Brewers are a dangerous hitting team and having Carrasco out there worried me from the start. Sure enough it's 3-0 in the blink of an eye. But at least it didn't get any worse than that

Maybe Lindors biggest hit as a Met. Bases loaded, 2 outs and he hits a Grand Slam. I was totally speechless

And they did it all on 4 hits somehow.

And of course the usual "help" from the Nats...they can go to hell

Tomorrow we're facing a guy who is pushing 5 era wise. I pretty much expect the same from Walker as Carrasco produced today, so hopefully they're ready to hit. 

And the Phillies have to wake up this weekend. At least these games are at home for them.

Edited by '7'

Yeah suffice it to say Lindor and Alonso are heating up at the right time, as Has already pointed out.  And what a kooky game…how often is it that a team scores seven runs on four hits?!

Mets have gone 7-3 over their past 10 games, and 13-7 over their past 20…one thing about Buck’s Mets:  they’ll occasionally have a few baffling and frustrating games (see being swept by the Cubs), but not ONCE in 2022 has such an occurrence ever turned into anything resembling an extended funk.  Just about all season, they win their 6 or 7 out of 10 in almost stubborn style, again and again and again.

Just hope that will be enough to hold off the damned Braves.  

Braves up 2-1 against the Nats.  I know the Nats lost the first two games, but they've been in these games much more than I was expecting them to be...only lost 3-2 last night (and were rallying in the top of the ninth), and still in this one.   

10 minutes ago, '7' said:

Wow finally...finally the Nats help us. But of course, they can't help themselves. And troubling to see McNeil and Nimmo get banged up. We cannot...absolutely cannot afford for them to miss any time. it is all hands on deck

Yeah not exactly what you want…going par for the course and losing the sweep is one thing but this lineup has barely recovered from losing Marte, can’t really afford more injuries.

Not mad about not sweeping the Brewers…not like they’re some slouch team.

Feels like the Mets gotta find a way against Oakland though.  

6 hours ago, '7' said:

Mets are off today, but a big development as the Phillies hold off Atlanta 1-0. The Mets lead ticks up to 1.5. 

Gotta take care of business at Oakland.

Yeah this is a “find a way” series…gotta sweep here, whatever it takes.  

• Thanks 1

So far so good. Phillies getting their revenge and the Mets out in front 7-0 after an Escobar grand slam

You can't really understate how huge it would be to go up 2.5 at this very late stage. It's far from cruise control or anything, but it would be legit breathing room especially with September winding down

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

So apparently Keith put himself on the IL with old man clumsiness causing shoulder surgery…unfortunate but hopefully he will be able to do the playoff pre and postgames.

Damn that sucks. Though with the season winding down that's usually it for the local broadcasters anyway, though I do believe they use Ronnie as a color man for other teams network playoff games (I do hope he gets assigned to the Mets if we make a run here) Keith definitely should be back for playoff pre and post games...I can't see him missing out on those. Not like it'll be a taxing commute for him either, it'll either be SNY studios or at Citi for our home games