Pronger out for the World Cup

NJDevs4978

From Yahoo!

Pronger out of World Cup, replaced by Bouwmeester

August 15, 2004

CALGARY, Alberta (Ticker) - Team Canada continues to be hit by the injury bug.

St. Louis Blues defenseman Chris Pronger became the latest member of Team Canada to withdraw from the World Cup of Hockey, which is slated to start later this month.

Team Canada executive director Wayne Gretzky announced Sunday that Pronger will be unable to play due to injury. Pronger reportedly suffered a right knee injury recently.

Florida defenseman Jay Bouwmeester will replace Pronger.

"We are disappointed that Chris could not participate, but this gives a great opportunity to one of Canada's rising young stars," Gretzky said. "When you can replace Chris with a player of Jay's caliber, it shows how much depth we have in this country."

"I am honored by the opportunity to represent Canada," Bouwmeester said. "This is a chance to play with and against the best players in the world, and I am excited to be a part of Team Canada at the World Cup of Hockey."

Pronger joins Ed Belfour, Steve Yzerman and Rob Blake as high-profile players from Canada's gold medal Olympic team in 2002 who have pulled out of the World Cup, which begins on August 30.

The third overall pick in 2003, Bouwmeester has collected six goals and 30 assists in 143 career games.

That's still a solid D Jason. But it doesn't scare me as much. Canada also didn't even select the best replacement. They could have chosen Aucoin, McCabe or Souray instead of Bouwmeester. Makes me wonder what the heck they're doing.

That's still a solid D Jason. But it doesn't scare me as much. Canada also didn't even select the best replacement. They could have chosen Aucoin, McCabe or Souray instead of Bouwmeester. Makes me wonder what the heck they're doing.

Maybe Gretzky doesn't like them, Derek. :P

lol :lol: