2023 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Don’t know about you guys but this little break before the NHL playoffs has allowed me to take in some Mets baseball (and the warm blast we just had added to the whole “Oh yeah there’s baseball too” feeling).  Carrasco…I know he wasn’t awful today, but he is scary.

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Too bad Scherzer needs another pit stop, not an IL stint (yet) but the immortal Jose Butto is starting tomorrow.

Will be nice when the Mets will be able to stop having to pay absolute top dollar for aging mercs…but of course, you can develop kids from within and see them all become unreliable physically too.

A better team may have punished Carrasco a bit more today. He always ALWAYS gives up early runs, luckily today we were playing the embarrasment of a franchise A's and he was able to get through 5 with only the 2 runs...but I really don't want to see this guy anywhere near a mound in any kind of important game for us.

Bats were pretty quiet today, but they got the job done

They pulled Scherzer from tomorrow's start, saying that an MRI came up clean, they know what it is, and he just needs a few more days. We'll see. Lots of Mets injury calamities start this way.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

You would have thought it was only a matter of time since Buck is 'already' platooning Escobar with Guillorme.

Hope he fares better than Alvarez.  That guy doesn’t look like he’s ready.

35 minutes ago, '7' said:

Are you f'cking kidding me Escobar. This guy is terrible...get him off the team he is an absolute black hole in the lineup. Likely cost us the game

Well they won and Escobar scored the winning run, but goddamn, I can’t agree with you more…enough with fvcking Escobar.  He’s just fvcking AWFUL.

15 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well they won and Escobar scored the winning run, but goddamn, I can’t agree with you more…enough with fvcking Escobar.  He’s just fvcking AWFUL.

Vogelbach too...we heard about him losing all this weight in the offseason. What great shape he's in. Well he's hitting .174 with 0 home runs. Though at least he'll draw some walks here and there

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Vogelbach too...we heard about him losing all this weight in the offseason. What great shape he's in. Well he's hitting .174 with 0 home runs. Though at least he'll draw some walks here and there

Is it me or does it look like he gained quite a bit of it back already?  He looks pretty damned chubby to me.  

Unless he finds yet another way to duck the Mets, looks like Noah is finally going to face them on Wednesday (3:10 pm start time).

Anyhoo, he's flat-out been a mediocre pitcher for a while now...his last 62 games (61 starts):

350.1 IP, 353 H (even at his best he oddly never suppressed hits, the way deGrom does), 165 ER, 42 HR, 83 BB, 316 K, 4.24 ERA (3.75 FIP, 97 ERA+), 20-21 W-L

He doesn't give up tons of long balls and doesn't walk many, but is just too hittable now to be anything more than just OK.

Not terrible, just very ordinary now.  One of those guys who's going to bounce around the league for a while I suspect...signed to one-year deals, maybe even two if he's lucky...but no one's committing to him long term.

deGrom starting against KC...he's been much better in his last couple of starts, but he's also getting lots of rest...5 days' worth prior to each of those two starts, and 5 days for this one as well.  Will be interesting to see how he holds up as this season unfolds...always the million dollar question with him now.  

6 hours ago, '7' said:

Yeah he’s always been a bit too enamored with working out walks when we kinda need him to hit bombs at DH

6 hours ago, '7' said:

Coming up next is that always very tough for us 7 games vs LA and San Fran. I'd be perfectly ok with a 3-4 record, 

I am not looking forward to JD Davis probably destroying us in that series

Don’t forget Conforto lol

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah he’s always been a bit too enamored with working out walks when we kinda need him to hit bombs at DH

Yeah I don’t need a guy like him to be a poor man’s on-base beast.  Some of those OB% whores are constantly leaving too much up to other hitters.  

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If you had the under at 3.5 starts for Texas before Jake left a game early you win 🙄

Yeah total surprise.  Note to Rangers:  paying a now injury-prone aging star a lot of money and praying for home to stay healthy isn’t going to make him less injury-prone.  

15 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Don’t forget Conforto lol

Lol of course Conforto. Forgot for a second what happened to him. Heck we traded Angel Pagan there and became a very important contributor to to some outstanding teams...while Andres Torres/Ramon Ramirez basically both had 1 middling season and were gone. Plus Wilmer Flores has been pretty decent for them as well

Impressive and much needed win. Especially coming back in the 7th and on the road.

Peterson can be so damn frustrating. Feel like he could and should be better...starting to get Glendon Rusch vibes from him. Just when you think he's starting to learn how to be one of those quality crafty lefties he goes out and gets bombed.

Good to see the Mets put up 14 hits. We've had too many games of late (even wins) where all they seem to do is scratch out 4 hits + an Alonso bomb.

Nimmo has been awesome. In his last 22 AB's he has 11 hits, 3 walks, and 1 HBP. The guy gets on base

Edited by '7'

Re:  Nimmo, he has flat-out willed himself into being a better player than we had any right to expect him to be...everything about him screamed "4th outfielder with defensive limitations".  Remember how clumsy he looked in the outfield when he was first called up?  And he now has a .388 OB% for his career.  

4-0 start to this trip...this could be a 6-4 or 7-3 swing by the time it wraps up.  We'll sure as hell sign up for THAT every time!

And yeah Peterson is what he is...he's a bottom-of-the-rotation fill-in.  Maybe you can get by with him as a fifth starter on a contending team that can score...but you don't want to have to count on him making 30 or so starts for your club.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Can't watch the game since I'm at work...but heard Scherzer was just ejected for an illegal substance? Apparently he was twice checked?

Mets forgot that just because Joe Musgrove is allowed to use it to beat them doesn't mean they're allowed to use it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, '7' said:

Can't watch the game since I'm at work...but heard Scherzer was just ejected for an illegal substance? Apparently he was twice checked?

Mets forgot that just because Joe Musgrove is allowed to use it to beat them doesn't mean they're allowed to use it.

Max Scherzer ejected from start against Dodgers after being asked to change glove, heated argument with umpires (yahoo.com)

Guess we'll learn more as we go.

And of course Noah with four scoreless so far against the Mets, now that he can finally be bothered to face them.  If they get blanked by Noah and some relievers on top of Max getting tossed, that would be as much as of a LOL Mets moment as we've had in a while.