2023 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

How the fvck do you blow a three run lead and not ever get Robertson in the game? Buck makes the same damn mistake over and over again of prioritizing tomorrow over today and the next inning over right now (exhibit A: not using Britton in the WC game)

Robertson pitched twice in ten days and one of them was an eight pitch inning, goodness Buck…if you aren’t going to use him two innings now then you won’t have to worry about him being rested for October.

Edited by NJDevs4978

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

How the fvck do you blow a three run lead and not ever get Robertson in the game? Buck makes the same damn mistake over and over again of prioritizing tomorrow over today and the next inning over right now (exhibit A: not using Britton in the WC game)

Yeah all Buck has done this season is prove that he can only take a team so far…assuming that he’s actually awake.  Enjoy this last gig pal.  Because it is indeed your last.  

I get that Cohen wants (and maybe needs) to prove to the whole world he isn’t 1980’s George but dude, you really gonna let this whole thing burn to the ground before holding someone accountable here? His problem is the same as Buck’s right now, way too passive

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I get that Cohen wants (and maybe needs) to prove to the whole world he isn’t 1980’s George but dude, you really gonna let this whole thing burn to the ground before holding someone accountable here? His problem is the same as Buck’s right now, way too passive

Yeah there’s just no urgency anywhere within the organization right now.  And it’s baffling.  

I love the Mets, but I hate the crap outta them too.  If I was Cohen, I would tell Eppler that if he wants to stay in the organization in some capacity after he is let go, then he better start trading some of the vets for some young upside talent.  Pay some of Verlander and Scherzer's salaries in order to trade them for good - maybe not great - prospects.  

Bring up Mauricio and play all the kids every. single. day.

I know Pete loves Vogelbach, but that dude should not be DHing over a young player that needs reps.

11 minutes ago, Capt Kirk Muller said:

I love the Mets, but I hate the crap outta them too.  If I was Cohen, I would tell Eppler that if he wants to stay in the organization in some capacity after he is let go, then he better start trading some of the vets for some young upside talent.  Pay some of Verlander and Scherzer's salaries in order to trade them for good - maybe not great - prospects.  

Bring up Mauricio and play all the kids every. single. day.

I know Pete loves Vogelbach, but that dude should not be DHing over a young player that needs reps.

Vogelbach can't run, can't field, and can't hit lefties...yes, he can draw a walk here and there and sometimes he hits a home run...but for some reason, Buck treats this .217 career hitter like a former star who might still have some glory left.  He never had it to begin with.

The way that this team hits, you'd swear Sandy put it together.

Yeah I'm all on board with as many vets being dealt as possible.  And I know Lindor gets paid the most, but he's a loser, not a leader.  Someone else needs to step up in that regard. 

I disagree with you on Lindor.  He plays everyday, has a positive attitude, and while he may not totally earn his contract, he is a good piece.

Yes, Vogelbach is a complete waste.  Why is the team not taking advantage of having a DH.  We've had starting pitchers who I trusted more to get hits than Vogelbach (or when we had Ruff, whoof).

I think a lot of the players are frustrated and pressing.  The media and fans create a stress sh*tstorm and I feel it weighs on the players.  You can almost see them carry that monkey on their back.  

We need high average and on base percentage hitters.  Just hit line drives and move the runners.  I don't like a lineup that chases homeruns.  

30 minutes ago, Capt Kirk Muller said:

I disagree with you on Lindor.  He plays everyday, has a positive attitude, and while he may not totally earn his contract, he is a good piece.

Yes, Vogelbach is a complete waste.  Why is the team not taking advantage of having a DH.  We've had starting pitchers who I trusted more to get hits than Vogelbach (or when we had Ruff, whoof).

I think a lot of the players are frustrated and pressing.  The media and fans create a stress sh*tstorm and I feel it weighs on the players.  You can almost see them carry that monkey on their back.  

We need high average and on base percentage hitters.  Just hit line drives and move the runners.  I don't like a lineup that chases homeruns.  

Citi is a ballpark designed for smallball.  Last season they were doing that for most of the season.  Unfortunately too many guys simply aren't hitting this year, but that was the problem with last year's team...I've been over it, but it simply wasn't designed to last long-term...too many vets.

It's scary that both Vogelbach AND Ruf were brought back...at least the latter was put out of his misery.  I have no idea why Vogelbach continues to be a lineup constant.  It's embarrassing...no one can tell me that Vientos shouldn't get a look there for a few weeks.

The players have created their own sh!tstrom...this team has gone 21-36 over what amounts to 33% of the season...that's a 63-win pace over 162 games.  This isn't some minor skid and/or fans overreacting to, say, a 2-5 mini-dip.  That's a lot of season to be awful.

Re:  Lindor, the guy has a .247/.326/.435 slash since joining the Mets, and his Ks are going up exponentially...this is the sixth straight year his K-rate has gone up, and it's now well over 20% this season...22.5%, to be exact.  Look at his clutch numbers this season and they're largely sh!t.  He just hasn't lived up to his contract, and no one's afraid of him hurting them with the game on the line.  And of course there was the thumbs-down crap he pulled a couple of years ago with his scrub pal Baez (he of the .273 OB% since he went to the Tigers)...dude, you were SH!T for most of 2021.  You couldn't handle a little booing?  Sure, he plays everyday, but could he actually, ya know, HIT?!  Play somewhat up to his contract?  I know he's driven in some runs, but would be nice to not constantly wonder if someone somehow miscounted his RBI along the way.  

28 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

He's alive at least

Yeah, right now he looks like the corporate head who has no idea what's really going on outside his office.  Time to change that perception.

You brought up valid points on Lindor.  I still feel he has more positives than negatives.  I'm not someone who feels the players shouldn't be held accountable, they should.  With that said, we can all agree that this market is really tough.  I think he's a good guy and a good presence.  The thumbs down sh*t was bad for sure, but we all react to stress in different ways.  He was hurt because he cares.  He has a heart.  This team needs heart.  For me, it doesn't define who he is in my mind.  

As for Cohen, I feel he knows exactly what is going on.  He chose people to build an analytics forward system, and it obviously isn't working.  Part of being a good manager is giving responsibility to those you hire and then taking your hands off the wheel.  He knows it's screwed.  Eppler will be replaced and changes will be made.  

I'm so happy that we have an owner that is a fan, and is also the wealthiest in baseball.   He will work to right the ship.  Will the next pivot lead to success?  Who knows, but he wants to win and he knows the fans are miserable

Speaking of Epp…Evan and Cartoon played some of his clips, and man would I love some non-corporate-sounding douchebag who can actually speak like a normal human being.  He is just torture to listen to.

50 minutes ago, Capt Kirk Muller said:

Vogelbach went deep tonight.  I've always believed in him

Have no idea why.  He’s a lifetime .217 hitter who doesn’t do many things particularly well.  And is woefully out of shape to boot.

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Have no idea why.  He’s a lifetime .217 hitter who doesn’t do many things particularly well.  And is woefully out of shape to boot.

I was kidding...cmon.  I just told you today that I want him off the team

12 minutes ago, Capt Kirk Muller said:

I was kidding...cmon.  I just told you today that I want him off the team

Sorry man totally my fault…I just turned 53.  Senior moments are becoming a little too commonplace.

So was there anything important out of this?  The Devils have sucked all the air out of worrying about anything Mets-related today lol.  I know Cohen made comments about still looking for a POBO, which was obvious and put it on the players to turn it around.  I can't say I was expecting much different.

He also seemingly admitted the obvious that they were going to be sellers if they didn't turn it around soon.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 6/28/2023 at 4:55 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

So was there anything important out of this?  The Devils have sucked all the air out of worrying about anything Mets-related today lol.  I know Cohen made comments about still looking for a POBO, which was obvious and put it on the players to turn it around.  I can't say I was expecting much different.

He also seemingly admitted the obvious that they were going to be sellers if they didn't turn it around soon.

No.  Let's all help to protect our own mental health by putting the mets down for awhile.  No one needs this crap

• Like 1

Yeah everything Devils-related has me so excited for THEIR season to start.  And this nightmare of a season for the Mets has made me not care about them.  They’re unwatchable.  But at least it’s not tons of guys tied-up long term.  They can make changes, but they gotta get Eppler the fvck outta there.  Hopefully they go hard after Stearns.

• Like 1