2023 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

18 minutes ago, '7' said:

I just don't see it happening with this Mets team this year...this week is so critical with Atl/NYY on their plate, and the Mets have looked so damn pedestrian and lifeless. I can see the Braves doing what they alway do to us. And they're no juggernaut either, it's just the Mets starting pitching can't be trusted, they've taken a major step back from last season. Their offense is at best league average...and right now they're mired in a horrible slump.

The magic isn't there for this team anymore. They are what they are...a .500 group

And while the RBI's are there for Lindor. .213 with a .284 obp are you kidding me?

And it's tough to get on Pete but .231 is pretty ugly too. And McNeil has taken a noticeable step back at .282. 

See my post re:  Lindor…his numbers are even worse since 4/17.  He’s been awful at the plate.  This is Kevin Elster-level rough.

Well about the only way I can get start to get sucked back in is for the Mets to do that thing that the Braves always do, in abundance...show some actual heart and fight!  

That starts with the Loser Twins, otherwise known as Alonso and Lindor.  Great, you've both hit home runs...and obviously Pete's hit a lot of 'em.  Mets could use, ya know, productive base hits too.  Maybe just one of you could flirt with a .250 BA at some point?  PLEASE?!

They don't win at least two of three, fvck 'em.  No, they technically won't be dead, and of course teams can go on runs when they appear to be toast, but does ANYONE have ANY faith in THIS group finding a way?  Their glass jaw was exposed when they were swept by the Braves last season.  They've never truly recovered.  

Just announced…deGrom about to have TJS for the second time in his pro career.

HUUUUUUUUGE bullet dodged by the Mets.

And I feel for Jake.  But any team willing to sign him to that kind of money clearly chose to ignore the very obvious risks involved.  He was a worst-case scenario waiting to happen.  

I’m actually glad he got his bag before the injury lol, if this had happened last year it would have cost him at least $100 million or so. But yeah the fact he really hasn’t been able to pitch at all even before this has gotta be frustrating.

Edited by NJDevs4978

We’ve been over it but the guy made all of 26 regular season starts the last two seasons.  And will soon be 35.  How does a team ignore that?!  Mets were lucky as fvck that he opted out.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Like someone said elsewhere it’s ironic that Correa’s ankle which hadn’t caused any issue yet spooked more teams than Jake’s medical history

Great point!  

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah amazing with the payroll they already had they still managed to dodge guys like deGrom, Correa and Bauer

Maybe they're finally getting things right with this franchises medical staff

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Wow. The Mets, in a frustrating year...really did get it right with deGrom. I feel this is it for his career. 

deGrom was SUCH a risky signing.  I could’ve understood a one-year (at an insane cost) deal for a team going for it, but given his recent history, I’m surprised someone stepped up with FIVE YEARS.  What a mess for the Rangers (at least they’re still winning).

In fairness, deGrom wasn’t coming  back no matter what.  He was ready to move on.  But I think the Mets were too.

Correa…guy is having a rotten year…but was fine last season.  Apparently his foot is bothering him.  

Lindor with an actual pulse.  Mets up 2-1.

Guess Pete and Lindor have been reading this forum and are on a mission to shut me up.  Works for me!  Mets up 4-1.

Hey Buck, can you stop blindly giving Fat fvck ABs please?  The guy damned near NEVER gets a hit.

OK Buck I think they’ve figured out Carlos now.  Good to see you’re somewhat breathing.

And that’s why the Braves are the Braves.  And of course the Mets bats go silent after the two dingers.  Game isn’t over yet but the 2023 Mets aren’t exactly known for their fight.

Yep, down 5-4 and these losers are already beaten…you can see it their faces and slumped shoulders.  Same ol Braves.  Same ol Mets.  Same ol never won anything Buck.

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

You cannot allow Carrasco to pitch against Atlanta...he's gonna get killed each and every time

At the very least, know when you’ve gone as far as you can with him.  

Oh total shock, only three hitters come up to the plate for the Mets.  Here comes the part where they go down meekly.

Buck was an obvious upgrade over the managers who preceded him here, no question, but the warts are starting to show.  

44 minutes ago, '7' said:

You cannot allow Carrasco to pitch against Atlanta...he's gonna get killed each and every time

Other than the old farts who are actually healthy at the same time for once, who else can you pitch against them?  Senga's been dogsh!t on the road, Megill's pretty well been dogsh!t period despite a shockingly low 4.4 ERA (with a 1.62 WHIP).

53 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh total shock, only three hitters come up to the plate for the Mets.  Here comes the part where they go down meekly.

Buck was an obvious upgrade over the managers who preceded him here, no question, but the warts are starting to show.  

It's just amazing how it feels like they've never recovered from the Braves ambush last September.

• Angry 1

6 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's just amazing how it feels like they've never recovered from the Braves ambush last September.

Yeah it sucks to go right back to being the lol Mets…but that’s who they are.  You just KNOW the Braves will come up with the big rally and clutch performances, because that’s who THEY are.  The Mets don’t deserve to be on the same field with that team.  

And Pete trash-talking after hitting a home run in third...STFU you front-running a$$clown.  Great, you hit a lot of home runs...yes, that's exciting and can be helpful.  You're hitting .231.  You did nothing the rest of the game.  This "mammoth HR or nothing" sh!t can't continue, if the Mets are EVER going to turn this thing around.  You have four doubles for the whole season dude.  FOUR.  The 22 HRs are lovely, but they can only cover up for so much.  If anything you and Lindor are showing exactly why RBI may not be such a great stat...it doesn't FEEL like Alonso and Lindor have nearly as many as they actually do. 

So Mets need to go 60-41 to reach 90 wins.  Wouldn't bet too heavily on that.

One question is where do the Mets go for their next manager?  I don't expect Buck to get canned no matter what happens this season, but he's cemented himself as a guy who can only take teams so far.  Also who will be the next GM?  Eppler's proved that you can fund a perfectly mediocre GM all you want, but that doesn't mean he'll find a way to buy a winner.  I can't see him being the GM long-term.  

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

What really sucks is up until that series, they were a fun and entertaining team, a good small-ball team with some power, that seemed to have some kind of magic...until the Braves found their glass jaw.  This team turned out to be Charmin-soft...damned near THE WHOLE TEAM.  There isn't one guy that I trust to get the big hit, be the sparkplug that starts the rally, etc.  They feel like a bunch of guys who've already gotten their money so what's the difference?  I know guys like Nimmo are always trying, so don't want to paint him with that kind of brush, but good lord...he's slashed .246/.318/.366 over his last 38 games.  McNeil's slashed a pathetic .255/.294/.264 over his last 31 games.  Alonso has a .197 BA and .293 OB% over his last 40 GP (and 12 HR, but like I said, the Dave Kingman crap can only get you so far).  Lindor has a .204 BA and .256 OB% in his last 44 GP; Marte is hitting .230 with a .278 OB% over his last 43 GP.  That's five key guys who basically aren't hitting much nor getting on base nearly enough.  And of course there's the bloated rotting corpse that Buck can't give ABs to enough in Vogelbach...god DAMN.