2024 New York Mets Season Thread

I haven't been into spring training (I never usually am) but for some reason every time I look at a score it seems to be 1-0, 2-1, 3-1...I know teams want to get preseason games over with asap but geez those are examples of two-hour games that really don't have much action in them.

At least it looks like we'll get the long-awaited return of Edwin Diaz.  Can't say I'm too excited about anything else at this point, but all of us have been through the ringer as fans between last season's Mets, the current Devils and last NFL season.

Same, haven’t been paying much attention…couldn’t tell you anything about the Mets thus far.  I’m finding baseball to be a less and less compelling product, with the uptick in Ks and the general lack of events.  Also tired of the “by the book” thinking that seems to have sapped too much of the fun out of the sport.

Giants released JD Davis...he was pretty good for them. Nothing spectacular but what an ugly trade that was. Wonder if the Mets would be up for a reunion. He can play 3B, 1B, outfield. Has some power and has always been a good OBP guy

Totally forgot he went in the deal (with other pieces no less) for Darin Ruf.  God did THAT guy suck.

JD is most definitely not a full-time player, and he whiffs plenty, but yeah, he can be a decent bench guy with power.  But his numbers are trending in the wrong direction…the Giants released him for a reason.  He now whiffs in one out of every three ABs, and has been a .248 hitter over the past two seasons (.331 OB%).  Simply one of those guys where the more he plays, the worse the returns.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

• 2 weeks later...

So Tylor Magill…he of the 4.70 career ERA (4.65 FIP, so not like he’s pitching into rotten luck), 1.416 WHIP and who allowed 1.5 HR per 9 IP makes the rotation.  Yay?

Why does this organization insist on doling out endless opportunities to complete stiffs?

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Mets actually sign JD Martinez on a one year deal, at least the DH should be a massive upgrade over last year 

Yeah hard to complain about that one.  A hell of a lot better than Fat fvck.

He doesn’t walk much and he Ks a LOT, but still much better than what’s in house. 

On 3/21/2024 at 11:43 PM, ButlerBulldog said:

Do we want to talk about the bizarre Shohei Ohtani news?  There are a lot of questions floating around.

Clearly someone isn’t telling the truth given the changing stories and the apparent lack of pressing charges against the ‘thief’ interpreter but unless something else comes up it likely isn’t anything more nefarious than either Ohtani covering the guy’s bets or (at worst) throwing him under the bus to cover his own…but even then I don’t know how much baseball can really do unless he bet on baseball. He might be in some legal jeopardy either way but as we’ve seen with other high profile individuals and cases you can pretty much postpone and delay as much as possible if you have the money to do so.

• Like 1

Anyway, looks like Opening Day is (probably) going to be Friday afternoon, assuming tomorrow gets rained out. I will be at either one, might as well take some advantage of…being between jobs for the first time since college. Although I’m not excited about 2024 per se I am kinda looking forward to kicking off the Stearns era. Almost reminds me of (bleh) the early Ray Shero days lol - established GM coming in, personable but inexperienced new manager. Unlike Shero though, at least Stearns made SOME throw money at short term solution signings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Clearly someone isn’t telling the truth given the changing stories and the apparent lack of pressing charges against the ‘thief’ interpreter but unless something else comes up it likely isn’t anything more nefarious than either Ohtani covering the guy’s bets or (at worst) throwing him under the bus to cover his own…but even then I don’t know how much baseball can really do unless he bet on baseball. He might be in some legal jeopardy either way but as we’ve seen with other high profile individuals and cases you can pretty much postpone and delay as much as possible if you have the money to do so.

We know how it goes with news cycles...right now, the Baltimore bridge collapse is to Ohtani was what 9/11 was to Gary Condit.  Not to make light of ANYTHING, more just pointing out how quickly some stories become less "urgent".

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Anyway, looks like Opening Day is (probably) going to be Friday afternoon, assuming tomorrow gets rained out. I will be at either one, might as well take some advantage of…being between jobs for the first time since college. Although I’m not excited about 2024 per se I am kinda looking forward to kicking off the Stearns era. Almost reminds me of (bleh) the early Ray Shero days lol - established GM coming in, personable but inexperienced new manager. Unlike Shero though, at least Stearns made SOME throw money at short term solution signings.

Shero did bring in Palms (while shedding some guys) to start things off, as well as John Moore, Lee Stepniak, David Schlemko, Sergei Kalinin...and of course, set up a credit line to shop at the Penguin Dollar Store.  He also had lingering deadwood that still needed to be excised...that team had so little on the roster at the time.  I was against it at the time, but you can definitely make the argument that Shero could've traded Cory.  AEWHistory made a case for it at the time, to his credit.

That initial 2015-16 Shero team somehow went 38-36-8...they were even 29-21-7 at one point, before falling apart. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Per MLB.com, both Brewers-Mets and Braves-Phillies have been postponed.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We know how it goes with news cycles...right now, the Baltimore bridge collapse is to Ohtani was what 9/11 was to Gary Condit.  Not to make light of ANYTHING, more just pointing out how quickly some stories become less "urgent".

Shero did bring in Palms (while shedding some guys) to start things off, as well as John Moore, Lee Stepniak, David Schlemko, Sergei Kalinin...and of course, set up a credit line to shop at the Penguin Dollar Store.  He also had lingering deadwood that still needed to be excised...that team had so little on the roster at the time.  I was against it at the time, but you can definitely make the argument that Shero could've traded Cory.  AEWHistory made a case for it at the time, to his credit.

That initial 2015-16 Shero team somehow went 38-36-8...they were even 29-21-7 at one point, before falling apart. 

Among those only Palmieri really was any kind of a substantive move, the rest were cheap hold the fort guys at most, it's amazing he practically got back what he traded for Palms in a Stempniak deadline deal, but they really didn't spend as much as they could have for short-term solutions (which also would have prevented some of the kids playing too much, too soon) which was more my point - until he was on the hot seat going into what turned out to be his last season, Shero was obsessed with having $25-30 million under the cap every year and other than the Taylor Hall move - and even then we shed Larsson's contract so it was adding $2 million rather than $6 million - they never really 'weaponized' that cap space at all, it was a bit of an annoyance with me and clearly the owners are fine with spending up to the cap under Fitz and in Shero's final season.

Compare that with Cohen/Stearns who are giving out a bunch of one-year deals while 'over' the cap at basically a 90% markup with the luxury tax.  If things do go splat this year, they could maybe flip some guys like JD or Severino for more futures and maybe some of the ones we have debut later this season.  Expectations kind of help the mindset...this year's Devils team is my least favorite ever this side of the 2007 Mets.  While with the Mets it's clearly been advertised as a transition year since last deadline but it's not like they're totally peacing out of trying to win.

Edited by NJDevs4978

15 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Perfect.  Was thinking of the exact same clip.

5 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Anyone who ever romanticizes Opening Day, never experienced a late March NYC one lol…game had serious 2014 outdoor game vibes only without the snow

On that note…many years ago, I went to a game at Shea (think it was early May…nope, was late May) with a girl I was seeing, and it was one of those low-70s sunny days that just feels so warm in the afternoon.

Problem was that the game was at NIGHT…but I was still dressed for the day that had long since said goodbye with the sunset.  And it was friggin’ COLD AS fvck.  And WINDY!  I shivered the whole damned time.

What was funny was Gregg Jefferies was playing for the Phillies at the time, and he was playing catch in the field…every time he caught the ball some fan nearby screamed “YEEEEEEEEAH!” (obviously mocking how meh of a fielder Jefferies was).  Finally Jefferies stopped and more or less said “What the fvck is your problem?” and then they got into it for a bit, heh heh.  Mets did win the game, so there was that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I made a similar mistake a few years back in April, when I was dressed up for the 55 degree day it had been as opposed to it feeling fifteen degrees cooler at Citi early nightfall.

This time, I brought everything, sweater, heavy jacket and even gloves. It was still cold cause of the wind but at least bearable lol

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Anyone who ever romanticizes Opening Day, never experienced a late March NYC one lol…game had serious 2014 outdoor game vibes only without the snow

I’ve only been to one early-season game in the New York area, and I lucked out with temperatures being the mid-sixties for an afternoon game in the Bronx.  I’m still waiting to see a game played amidst slow flurries and borderline freezing temperatures.