2024 New York Mets Season Thread

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

To be fair, when I went to the home opener in 2016 (the only other one I've been to) the weather was shockingly good that day too.  Sometimes it really is hit or miss.

Which is why I generally wait until the summer months to attend games in person, as the weather’s easier to predict.  While rain is always possible, of course, temperatures tend to much more reasonable.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Severino and the Mets well on their way to ensuring a worse Game 2 lol

I’ve always liked Sevy, as he’s a tremendous pitcher when he’s healthy, but it’s beginning to seem as though he’ll never regain the form he showed earlier in his career.  I’m sorry he imploded on you.

26 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Way to make Rhys Hoskins into the next Chase Utley you fvckfaces

I didn’t think the slide from yesterday looked that bad.  Has something else happened?

Same

old

Mets

Kinds hard to be shocked when they were punting this season from the get-go.  It is what it is.  They’ll probably flirt with 80-85 wins depending on how things break.  

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I’ve always liked Sevy, as he’s a tremendous pitcher when he’s healthy, but it’s beginning to seem as though he’ll never regain the form he showed earlier in his career.  I’m sorry he imploded on you.

I didn’t think the slide from yesterday looked that bad.  Has something else happened?

Ramírez tried to drill him but threw behind him.  Just like Syndergaard way back when, when he missed Utley by a lot (also behind him).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ramírez tried to drill him but threw behind him.  Just like Syndergaard way back when, when he missed Utley by a lot (also behind him).

Ah, okay.  Too bad Terry Collins and Tom Hallion couldn’t reenact their performance from 2016.

27 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Damn I know this was a recalibrating year but this series basically felt like the Family Guy meme

EXACTLY like this 

Starting to think that the Mets might be better off going full Astros…trade Alonso, Diaz and others, tear this thing down completely, deal with a few 100-loss seasons while you stock the farm through multiple drafts, and later Cohen will at least have the money to keep the guys worth keeping.  As we know, in baseball not really much difference in winning 75-80 games and 55-60 games.  Either way you’re not making the playoffs.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Starting to think that the Mets might be better off going full Astros…trade Alonso, Diaz and others, tear this thing down completely, deal with a few 100-loss seasons while you stock the farm through multiple drafts, and later Cohen will at least have the money to keep the guys worth keeping.  As we know, in baseball not really much difference in winning 75-80 games and 55-60 games.  Either way you’re not making the playoffs.

Alonso’s getting skewered by daytime talkshow hosts for his appearance at a concert Saturday evening.  I don’t think it’s that big a deal.  While the optics are questionable given the Mets’ start, I don’t particularly care what players do in their free time.

55 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Alonso’s getting skewered by daytime talkshow hosts for his appearance at a concert Saturday evening.  I don’t think it’s that big a deal.  While the optics are questionable given the Mets’ start, I don’t particularly care what players do in their free time.

Agree, the guy can’t take in a friggin’ concert?  He’s entitled to a life outside baseball.  Just because he went to hear some music doesn’t mean he was all banged up the next day.  He might not have drank so much as a single drop.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree, the guy can’t take in a friggin’ concert?  He’s entitled to a life outside baseball.  Just because he went to hear some music doesn’t mean he was all banged up the next day.  He might not drank so much as a single drop.

Here’s the footage of Pete onstage for anyone who’s interested.  If he’d fallen and hurt himself, I could understand the outrage, but he was in the lineup the next day.  People need to calm down.

42 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Here’s the footage of Pete onstage for anyone who’s interested.  If he’d fallen and hurt himself, I could understand the outrage, but he was in the lineup the next day.  People need to calm down.

Even then, people can fall and hurt themselves ANYWHERE.

If he was in a mosh pit throwing his weight around, then yeah, I'd be saying "C'mon man, that's too risky as long as you're a ballplayer!"  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Even then, people can fall and hurt themselves ANYWHERE.

If he was in a mosh pit throwing his weight around, then yeah, I'd be saying "C'mon man, that's too risky as long as you're a ballplayer!"  

I guess people need something to complain about.  The irony is that Alonso actually had a solid series against the Brewers.

Facial Recognition in Place of Tickets?

Not a fan of this.  I’ve no problem streamlining fan entry into ballparks, but this goes too far.  James Dolan has already incited controversy by using similar software to ban fans involved in litigation against his company from attending games at MSG, and it’s only a matter of time before the technology is further abused.

15 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOLMets, again

Praying for rain so they don’t embarrass themselves again tomorrow 

I’m hearing that tomorrow’s game will be rained out, and Wednesday’s may be as well.  Nashville’s supposed to get some nasty weather tomorrow, which I’m sure will eventually find its way to you.

I’ll say one thing for the 2024 Mets…they made me not give a damn about the upcoming baseball season in record time.

Obviously VERY early but good lord, even the sh!tty uniforms with the baby font letters blow chunks.  

• Angry 1

Anyway, the Mets are kinda stuck right now.  They did try to land a big fish but not much that can be done when the big fish would rather swim in someone else’s pond.  So Stearns did a lot of dumpster diving, and though the Mets won’t be quite as dreadful as they look right now, they’re clearly not going to be contending for anything either.

Obviously it appears to be Soto in 2025 and beyond or bust; the Mets will make an insane offer, which I’m sure will be full of right now money as well as deferred money.  Maybe that means Alonso gets his payday too (though I think that deal will age HORRIBLY).

But 2024 has been clearly defined as a placeholder, a season where there’s going to be no propping up, nothing.  And it’s going to be long…the Mets could actually wind up finishing above .500 when all is said and done, and maybe a kid like Alvarez provides some thrills, but there’s going to be a LOT of ugly moments too.  Coming off this fugly Devils season, I suspect the Mets aren’t going to be a priority for me this summer…

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’ll say one thing for the 2024 Mets…they made me not give a damn about the upcoming baseball season in record time.

Obviously VERY early but good lord, even the sh!tty uniforms with the baby font letters blow chunks.  

I’ve never been more grateful that the Yankees don’t put names on their uniforms.  Some of the fonts on other teams’ jerseys remind me of the uniforms I wore in little league.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I’ve never been more grateful that the Yankees don’t put names on their uniforms.  Some of the fonts on other teams’ jerseys remind me of the uniforms I wore in little league.

The names look so bad now that I wouldn't mind if the Mets just dropped them entirely.  They tried that a while back, in 1999.  I didn't mind that look myself.

I'm still amazed that MLB could look THIS amateurish when it comes to their uniforms.  

• Like 1