2024 New York Mets Season Thread

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I’ve never been more grateful that the Yankees don’t put names on their uniforms.  Some of the fonts on other teams’ jerseys remind me of the uniforms I wore in little league.

The viral Carlos Rodon uniform sweat pictures were bad enough as it was re: the uniforms lol

Edited by NJDevs4978

24 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The viral Carlos Rodon uniform sweat pictures were bad enough as it was re: the uniforms lol

Yes, those were pretty bad.  I’m hoping Fanatics eventually does something to address all these issues, as it’s embarrassing to see professional athletes wearing uniforms at which most kids would turn up their noses.  That they’ve managed to botch baseball makes me nervous for next season’s NHL gear.

• Like 1

Former NFL MVP rips Mets' Pete Alonso for concert appearance | Yardbarker

Still don't think Pete going to a concert was this massive deal.  Is his going to a concert causing damned near everyone else in the lineup not to hit?  Do people think that pro athletes are supposed to just show up to play and do absolutely nothing else leisurely with the rest of their time?  Players sometimes dare to go out and blow off steam in-season...it's not like Pete's going out and drinking to excess every night.  He went to a damned concert!

What's funny is apparently it's "a bad look" because the Mets started 0-2.  So if they Mets started off 1-1 or 2-0, then it wouldn't have been as bad?

I get players can do "bad look" things, but geez, the level that people take it to sometimes is absurd...especially in New York and the surrounding area.  I'm not the biggest Alonso guy mostly because I think his game has become too much about the longball, but the guy shouldn't be getting killed for this, in any circles.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Former NFL MVP rips Mets' Pete Alonso for concert appearance | Yardbarker

Still don't think Pete going to a concert was this massive deal.  Is his going to a concert causing damned near everyone else in the lineup not to hit?  Do people think that pro athletes are supposed to just show up to play and do absolutely nothing else leisurely with the rest of their time?  Players sometimes dare to go out and blow off steam in-season...it's not like Pete's going out and drinking to excess every night.  He went to a damned concert!

What's funny is apparently it's "a bad look" because the Mets started 0-2.  So if they Mets started off 1-1 or 2-0, then it wouldn't have been as bad?

I get players can do "bad look" things, but geez, the level that people take it to sometimes is absurd...especially in New York and the surrounding area.  I'm not the biggest Alonso guy mostly because I think his game has become too much about the longball, but the guy shouldn't be getting killed for this, in any circles.

Boomer’s radio show on WFAN is where I first heard about this, and I still don’t see what the big deal is either.  If Alonso had gotten drunk and shown up late to Sunday afternoon’s game, I’d see a problem, but that didn’t happen, so this shouldn’t be an issue.  Alonso’s one of the few Mets who currently has a pulse, so maybe some of his teammates should try taking their minds off baseball for a few hours themselves.

I remember cringing when I found out that George Steinbrenner had ripped Derek Jeter for having a social life, and this latest Mets melodrama is equally nauseating.  As long as athletes show up and do their jobs, it shouldn’t matter what they do for fun, provided that it’s not illegal or dangerous.

Edited by ButlerBulldog

Posted (edited)

What’s everyone else’s excuse for not hitting lol 

To a degree people are probably looking for an excuse to kill Pete cause with Boras you always have one eye out the door in a walk year (not to mention the team being rancid) but the Mets have bigger issues than Pete going to a concert.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Honestly it was sort of the perfect storm of things for this to happen...early April home weeknight game against a random AL team after you embarrassed yourselves in the opening series of the season.  Kind of surprising it hasn't happened before with this franchise, but then again most of the time we don't have early April home games against the Tigers lol. 

In that vein, the prices for Doc's number retirement night are insanely low considering it's a weekend day game, but again still early April and the Royals coming to town.  Or at least they were as of a couple days ago - around a $25 get in price including fees on StubHub...but the weather and the team that day both weren't even selling points enough to get me to get a yearbook much less another ticket :P

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

BTW if this sh!t keeps up I could see the comparisons between the 2010-11 Devils lol

-Get rid of an experienced manager after a down finish to the previous season, hire rookie manager, have the rookie manager be unconscionably bad enough to consider a change with the experienced manager sitting out there...

The obvious difference (and why it won't happen) being that Stearns and Buck aren't exactly 'buddies' the way Lou and Lemaire were, not to mention baseball's general marginalizing of managers to begin with :P

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

BTW if this sh!t keeps up I could see the comparisons between the 2010-11 Devils lol

-Get rid of an experienced manager after a down finish to the previous season, hire rookie manager, have the rookie manager be unconscionably bad enough to consider a change with the experienced manager sitting out there...

The obvious difference (and why it won't happen) being that Stearns and Buck aren't exactly 'buddies' the way Lou and Lemaire were, not to mention baseball's general marginalizing of managers to begin with :P

Lemaire resigned…Lou didn’t get rid of him.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lemaire resigned…Lou didn’t get rid of him.

Eh that was a bit...convenient.  Lou was never going to overtly fire him publicly just like he didn't in 1998 (and that one I think was more of a legit mutual parting than the 2010 one was).  But you don't say you love coaching, expect to come back and are looking forward to next year, then less than two weeks later 'retire' - even Brett Favre doesn't flip flop that fast.

Edited by NJDevs4978

8 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

@Colorado Rockies 1976 and @NJDevs4978, in case you need a reason to laugh, Dan Vogelbach was caught in a rundown earlier this evening, and it looked like he was running in slow motion.

The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man has no other speed.

• Like 1

Oh, and Lindor and Alonso are even bigger losers than Wright and Reyes.  Not an easy feat.

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh, and Lindor and Alonso are even bigger losers than Wright and Reyes.  Not an easy feat.

Did I see that Lindor’s hitting .032?  I realize that numbers are often skewed in April due to sample size, but that’s awful.

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

Did I see that Lindor’s hitting .032?  I realize that numbers are often skewed in April due to sample size, but that’s awful.

He has one hit.  ONE.

• Shocking 1

LOL when I saw someone say Anthony Rendon was hitting better than Lindor I was like that can't be right, dude started the season like 0-20

And Ramirez needs to be DFA'ed...he made a meal of the whole Hoskins 'retaliation' now today's meltdown

Oh and the Braves look like they've rehabilitated Jared Kelenic, dude's like 10-15 for them already.  Well at least we got SOMEthing for him, the Mariners just took back a bunch of bums.  Even Strider being out probably won't derail them, they'll just fleece someone else of their ace by June.

Mets have won 3 out of 4 after losing their first 5.  Sucks to have dug such a deep hole to start the season…takes a while to recover from that (assuming one is even coming).

I know it’s only nine games but I’m already sick of Lindor and Alonso.  

Yeah they're gonna have to do a bit more to get me back in the mix...0-5 kinda takes you out of it early, especially following another poor year although ironically the last time the Mets started 0-5 it actually turned out to be a reasonably good season (2005).

Also you just KNOW the Braves would love to bury the Mets early.  Mets really gotta win three out of four here.