2024 New York Mets Season Thread

Nice job tonight by the pen…they really shut the Pirates down.  Only two runs in two games for Pitt.

Garrett…what a start he’s off to.

9-8…would’ve happily taken that after 0-5.

Kinda nice when Lindor (good lord when is he REALLY gonna start to hit?!) and Alonso aren't lighting it up today, and the Mets find a way to score six runs.

Nice to see the Mets have this surge, after such a painful Devils season.  Hope they can take this sweep home, especially with the first WC swing coming this Friday.

The Mets BP so far in this series:

Game 1:  3.2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

Game 2:  4 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 K

Game 3:  2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K

9.2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 17 K

That's a hell of a run.  Pirates with only 5 runs for the series with one inning left.

And another scoreless inning.

10.2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 17 K - damn. 

Outscored the Pirates 18-5 for the series.

Who knows if this will last, but at least they've made April interesting. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah nice of them to beat up on the mediocrity before the Dodger showdown this weekend, and a good sign they’re doing this without the big guns lighting it up

Pirates were actually off to a nice start to their season:  11-5 coming into this series.

Hopefully the Dodgers don't do to the Mets what the Mets just did to the Pirates.  But at least a bad start didn't snowball...nice that the Mets don't NEED to rip it up on this trip.  I'll take 3-3 with no complaints.

Player A's last 6 GP:  3-for-20 (all singles), 2 BB, 11 K in 22 PA, .377 OPS

That would be Jarred Kelenic, who's apparently getting back to his usual form.  BTW that crazy hot start that he was off to?  His BABIP was .733...this is the equivalent of an NHL grinding forward scoring 8 goals in 10 games on about 60% shooting.

Basically, I'm not all that worried about this guy suddenly figuring everything out and becoming a star.  He's still the whiff machine who got off to a surprising start last season, but slashed .233/.312/.353 over his last 77 games.  He'll have occasional short bursts, maybe even the occasional nice month (like last April), but from month-to-month, he'll put up OPSs of .727 (last May), .588 (last June), .686 (last July, before getting hurt), and .653 (last September).

Got lucky, in that in the end, it turns out that he's simply not very good.  That trade wound up not being the complete disaster that it could have been, really.  No one that the Mets gave up have done much, and fortunately with Cohen buying the team, he was able to eat Cano's remaining money.  The best player in the deal is the one still pitching for the Mets.

Posted (edited)

When Kelenic was raking early part of me was bemused that we somehow did better in our Kelenic trade than Seattle did in theirs. I still wouldn’t put unlocking something in him past the Braves though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

When Kelenic was raking early part of me was bemused that we somehow did better in our Kelenic trade than Seattle did in theirs. I still wouldn’t put unlocking something in him past the Braves though.

As Yogi would say…it’s getting late early.  He’ll be 25 in July…he still strikes out a LOT and he’s put up an insanely unsustainable BABIP for the season (.583).  It’s obviously small sample stuff to date but let me see if he’s putting up decent numbers by late July - early August.

Another way to look at it:  one team has already given up on him.  When you’re a 6OA pick you’ll get multiple chances.  But he’s gotta really start showing something soon.  The early signs this season point to him being lucky as opposed to being better.

I don’t fully hate them but not a fan by any stretch.  I would’ve gone without names on the back for these.  The 1920s-style font is OK but can’t say I love it.

A 3 out of 10 from me.  If the names were removed, maybe a 3.5 or 4.

• Like 1

fvcking Lindor…maybe this guy shouldn’t be batting third at the moment?

Still, nice to have a 4-0 lead over Yamamoto and the Dodgers so far.

Heaven forbid either Nimmo or Marte put the fvcking bat on the ball with runners on second and third.  That’s what makes today’s game so infuriating at times…the lack of two-strike adjustments by so many hitters.

Yep, same ol same ol.  Seen this game a million times in Met history.

Guess we’ll see if they have a comeback in them.  

At least they fought back to re-take a four-run lead, though Ottavino was lucky that one ball didn’t leave the park. Looked plenty scary coming off the bat.

Hopefully they can take this home.

Bader gets fvcked out of a perfect day at the plate, as ball four on a clearly outside pitch was called a strike in his final AB, which later became a K.

Still up by five headed into the bottom of the ninth.  Kudos…once the Dodgers tied it up 4-4 I was waiting for the bottom to fall out.  Glad that it didn’t happen, though there’s still work to be done.

THROW STRIKES DIEKMAN!  YOU’RE UP BY FIVE RUNS FFS!

Wow Freeman goes 0-for-5 with 3 K tonight.  Feels like that guy is good for at least one hit in every game that he plays against the Mets.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

THROW STRIKES DIEKMAN!  YOU’RE UP BY FIVE RUNS FFS!

Walks another guy.  Sorry just no reason for that.

Diaz is actually starting to loosen up, but Dodgers down to their final strike.

And that’s game.  HUGE win, especially since they didn’t let the game get away from them.

Hopefully Lindor starts to get it going.

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Stunning sweep, two games or not. The Mets are on this roll without Senga or guys like Lindor playing up to their norms…a good sign.

Lindor’s start was SO bad that it will take a while for his numbers to recover, but he’s actually been pretty good over his last 12 games…slashing .269/.333/.442.

But yeah not like he or Pete are off to flying starts.  The team has really done a hell of a job to completely negate starting 0-5.

And with both the Phillies and the Braves on hot streaks of their own, the Mets have flat-out NEEDED to go on this tear.  

13 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Welp Alvarez out indefinitely with a torn ligament in his thumb. When they have to go out of their way to say they’re confident he’ll be back ‘this season’ in late April, that’s not good

Estimate is 6-8 weeks.  Not too too bad.

Would be nice to see SOMEONE get caught stealing a base against the Mets.  Teams are going to start running on them every game.

Posted (edited)

Hah could have sworn I saw this was a two-game series.  Anyway you ask...

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Estimate is 6-8 weeks.  Not too too bad.

Would be nice to see SOMEONE get caught stealing a base against the Mets.  Teams are going to start running on them every game.

Geez I get MLB wants to make it easier to run but that's still pretty bad.

Edited by NJDevs4978