Melrose gives his 2 cents....

redruM

I have to admit that I was a bit shocked, an explayer saying the players proposal was a marketing ploy....

Barry basically said that from his point of view.. the owners are a solid group and will not agree to anything less than a hard cap, although he did feel it would be higher than 56%, he said maybe int he 62 or 63% range.

He also said he thinks the grinders can make this end quickly, he felt the stars that were playing in Europe would hold their position, but thats only 30% of the players, he said the other players were begining to get annoyyed that the guys making millions and miollions of dollars went to europe to make money which caused europeans to lose their jobs, and of course the NHL player that make clopse to th minimum are playing in the AHL for $200 a game....

He thinks the unionmight break quickly.... but if they donot, expect scab hockey next year....then the lockout will probably last until next dec.

I'm sick to my stomach....

Redrum, reading your post about Melrose's comments raises a question in my mind.

Who's gonna win this war?

We've all argued about who's wrong or right, but I'd like to know who's going to cave.

Apparently, Melrose thinks the players will. I would not be surprised to hear that there's bitterness among the "rank and file" because some players decided to seek their fortunes in Europe. The NHLPA might pay the price for that decision. I'm surprised the NHLPA allowed it to happen in the first place, even though this work stoppage is a lockout, not a strike.

I find it very telling that the NHLPA is more anxious about Pierre Dagenais' comments than Jaromir Jagr's decision to play in Europe for a fat salary. They are asking for dissension and a splintered "union." I think they'll get it, I agree with Barry.....for once.

Edited by Jerrydevil

don't kid yourselves everyone. all the stars will come running back if the nhl starts up again. they have a limited number of years to earn millions, and they aint earning those millions anywhere but the nhl. European salaries on the high end are in the hundreds of thousands, not 5 to 10 million. Marty has some alimony and child support to pay, you think he'll keep making peanuts scrounging up all star games, or come back to lou for 4 or 5 mil a season?

If you start the league back up, the players will come back, union or no union. Where else does a limited education person with little or no trade skill earn 1, 2, 3, up to 10 million a year?

I find it very telling that the NHLPA is more anxious about Pierre Dagenais' comments than Jaromir Jagr's decision to play in Europe for a fat salary. They are asking for dissension and a splintered "union." I think they'll get it, I agree with Barry.....for once.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too true. Jagr looks even worse given the Czech-Russia relationship and how Jagr wears 68 because that's when the Russians invaded Czechoslovakia. For him to leave the Czechs for Russia speaks volumes :P