Man, what greedy bastards

DevilMinder

I'm on SoulSeek, but try not to use it (am so friggin' paranoid).  My latest thing to get music is to just find somebody who has it and just share.  It's like people burning CD's, but better.  My friends and I used to share collections... one guy would buy a CD and three of us would copy it.  Then the next person would buy a CD and the other three would copy it.  Etc, etc.  So you only bought 1/4 the CDs, but you got all of 'em.  That's my ideal system there.  I don't mind artists getting money, but in my opinion, the focus should shift onto performance money.  People fill arenas to see Pearl Jam because Pearl Jam is good live.  If somebody isn't good, tough.  I see CD's and legal mp3's as a way of record companies squeezing as much cash into their pockets for the least amount of work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interestingly enough pearl jam is one of the cheapest live performances around. Why? the "screw ticketmaster" mindset. I think i heard people getting a pair of pit seats for 70 or 60 bucks. I paid 20 or 30 dollars for my ticket in 2003

You may be thinking of "DCC" or "XDCC", bruins. You message a bot via DCC/XDCC and the bot will send you a pack with whatever it is you asked for (whether it be a song, an album, a program, etc). It does suck when you get stuck in a queue, especially when the people in front of you have slowass connections, which means it can take hours just to get the damn thing you wanted, but otherwise I love IRC.

Many people find IRC difficult to understand, so they just give up on it from the start. Once you know the basic commands, you're really set. The other problem, though, is that many of the channels (or rooms) got scared with the whole RIAA crackdown on downloading, so they made their channels invite only, or a key necessary. Thankfully I've been idling (or actually chatting) in many of the better rooms for a few years now, so I was able to get invites and keys. Yey!

I do have a group of people who download off of me via AIM, but even that "group" is exclusive all on its own. I had an issue about two years ago when someone posted my name on an AudioGalaxy forum and I had literally HUNDREDS of people trying to download off of me. So now, I blocked out the "get file" feature and made a seperate group of only 14 people who I allow to get music from me. All is well with the world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interseting...i used DC++ for about a day or two, the the queue crap pissed me off, so i stuck with bittorrent.

The think i don't like about most p2p programs is the whole "one download no upload" thing. Kinda like you said there are issues with hundreds of people trying to download from you, but with lovely bittorrent EVERYBODY shares cause it uploads automatically, unless the torrent sucks. But the RIAA has just started destroying the best torrent sites. Loki torrent died, they cut a deal with suprnova, and i heard some other great sites are going down. At least torrent spy is up...but thats even down now, i'm hoping its not going to do the same thing as suprnova where it has a sequences of "going down" up until it just dies....*sigh* i wouldn't suffer a huge loss if p2p programs went down, other than i wouldn't get concert bootlegs...which is one of my hobbies...yes weird hobby whatever.

bittorrent my friends bittorrent.

I love bands like pearl jam, dave matthews, neil young, springsteen, counting crows, phish, grateful dead and so forth that don't care about people trading online with their stuff as long as its concert tapes and stuff. Its great, cause even if they find out i've been bittorrenting and such it won't matter cause all of my bittorrent stuff is legal :) Another great thing with bittorrent is that if you want to listen to an upcoming band they'll typically be like "sure listen to our concert stuff for free" so i can hear them that way...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Other thent he fact that bittorrent is pretty much dead given that 90% of the websites out there have been shut down by legal action. The only option for torrent files is eXeem, which was written by the guys behind suprnova.org. But it is still young and isnt as widespread as it needs to be to find everything you would want.

bittorrent my friends bittorrent.

I love bands like pearl jam, dave matthews, neil young, springsteen, counting crows, phish, grateful dead and so forth that don't care about people trading online with their stuff as long as its concert tapes and stuff. Its great, cause even if they find out i've been bittorrenting and such it won't matter cause all of my bittorrent stuff is legal :) Another great thing with bittorrent is that if you want to listen to an upcoming band they'll typically be like "sure listen to our concert stuff for free" so i can hear them that way...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Other thent he fact that bittorrent is pretty much dead given that 90% of the websites out there have been shut down by legal action. The only option for torrent files is eXeem, which was written by the guys behind suprnova.org. But it is still young and isnt as widespread as it needs to be to find everything you would want.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

www.easytree.org

^live concerts all legal

pj.sidewalkcrusaders

^live pearl jam, and a tad radio head, pixies, and a few others

Those are my main two.

www.torrentspy.com

i've used this a lot lately, but its under maintence which worries me.

eXeem sucks, i heard it has a load of bugs and spyware and its supported by adware.

but with lovely bittorrent EVERYBODY shares cause it uploads automatically, unless the torrent sucks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BT is only as good as the number of seeds it has. It's always better for all if you continue to seed after you download. You should at least upload the same as you download. Yes, sometimes that happens automatically, but many times the upload is slower than the download and people just kill it and not seed.

but with lovely bittorrent EVERYBODY shares cause it uploads automatically, unless the torrent sucks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BT is only as good as the number of seeds it has. It's always better for all if you continue to seed after you download. You should at least upload the same as you download. Yes, sometimes that happens automatically, but many times the upload is slower than the download and people just kill it and not seed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I gauge how much i upload base on how frustrated i get. Like if it took me forever to get it i'll leave it up for a 2 to 1 ratio. If it was easy i'll go for .5 to 1. But my bare minimum is a .5 ratio, but sometimes the upload crap just doesn't work at all and i get frustrated...

Well, BT is not something you sit and watch. You just minimize it and let it do its thing. If it hasn't reached at least 1:1 you should just leave it going until it does as you would be able to enjoy whatever it is you've downloaded. The reason you get frustrated is other people are doing exactly what you do and disconnecting early.

I used to use WinMX but lately it has been impossible to connect to anyone so I switched to Limewire which is pretty much the same except a much better search option. It was impossible to find Kiss songs on WinMX because it gave you every song in the world that had the word "kiss" in either the title, artist, or album. By the way how long does it usually take for you guys to download an average (3-5 minutes) song?

Well, BT is not something you sit and watch.  You just minimize it and let it do its thing.  If it hasn't reached at least 1:1 you should just leave it going until it does as you would be able to enjoy whatever it is you've downloaded.  The reason you get frustrated is other people are doing exactly what you do and disconnecting early.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

meh, i guess your right. I almost always have at least one bittorrent going. I love how mozilla still goes at fairly speed even if i have 3 or 4 bittorrents....

What kinda of client do you use?

It may be easy to say, but to those who are paranoid about being caught by the RIAA, don't be. They can do absolutely nothing to people who either a) download and share no music or b) download AND share music on labels not copyrighted/owned by the RIAA. You can check the RIAA Radar at http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa/ to see whether or not the music you already have or want to download is owned by them.

The RIAA is, in a sense, facing mass civil disobedience in the form of music downloading. In my eyes they were vanquished a while ago.