For `Great One,' not-so-great days

Rock

For `Great One,' not-so-great days

by Bob Verdi

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=1&cset=true

March 6, 2005

MIAMI -- Disappointment absolutely fails to describe the mood of Wayne Gretzky, hockey's greatest player and goodwill ambassador, as his sport endures its ugliest winter ever.

"Absolutely disgusting," he says, "and now that our season has been canceled, what's the likelihood of reaching a settlement this summer, before we lose even more money, more sponsors, maybe ESPN? Wish I knew. I have no idea."

Gretzky, fairly quiet since the NHL lockout degenerated into a complete shutdown last month, took out his aggressions the other day at the Ford Championship pro-am at Doral Golf Resort & Spa. His pro was Phil Mickelson, star of those "What Will Phil Do Next?" car commercials. Wherever Gretzky went, the question was, "What Will the NHL Do Next?"

"The commissioner, Gary Bettman, promises a season starting in October," Gretzky says. "If that means replacement players, I don't like it. The real players, I think, won't cross the line. You know hockey guys, how proud they are, how united. But in Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, they'll fill the buildings, even for replacements. Fans are mad. They want hockey. Other cities, I'm not sure."

Gretzky, part-owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, rushed to New York with fellow legend Mario Lemieux a couple of weeks ago, even after Bettman canceled the entire 2004-05 schedule. There was a sliver of hope, until details followed.

"First of all, Mario and I had no power to negotiate," Gretzky says. "We went there to help if we could, but I'm fairly new to ownership. It would be like a rookie speaking out instead of listening. It's a matter of respect. I'm not going to tell a man like Mr. [bill] Wirtz, who has been in hockey all his life, how to run his business.

"Besides, the idea the two sides could just split the difference--between a salary cap of $49 million and $42 [million]--it never even got to that because there are so many other issues that need to be solved before you settle on a number. And this idea that a few teams like Detroit and Toronto want to play? We all want to play. We lost $21 million in Phoenix last year, and we want to play."

Gretzky hears threats about alternate destinations, laughs, then purses his lips.

"Guys are talking now about starting up the World Hockey Association again?" he says. "That's the same WHA with the $10 million salary cap? And some players took jobs in the Eastern League, with a cap of $500 a week? But they don't want one in the NHL? Boggles my mind. If you believe in no cap, then how can you play in a league that has one? Besides, the union already has said it will accept a cap."

Does an American commissioner offend Canadians?

Shouldn't, Gretzky says, because Bettman is fighting hardest for franchises in Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa.

Players don't believe management's balance sheets?

Ed Snider, longtime Philadelphia owner, said it best, according to Gretzky: "Enron. People go to jail for that now."

Winter Olympics 2006?

"That could be a tough sell," Gretzky says. "Even if we settle by October, can we shut down next February for 17 days?"

Will franchises fold?

"That never has been held over the union's head," Gretzky says. "If a deal is made, 30 teams will be able to make it."

Gretzky misses coming to Chicago with his Coyotes.

"Still remember the All-Star Game there in '91," he says. "My cousin had just gone to war in Iraq, Desert Storm, and I wasn't sure we should play. But fans in that old Stadium. Spectacular. And Mr. Wirtz, he always has been great to me.

"Before I bought into Phoenix, I went through the usual interviews with the owners. He told them, `Wayne has been too good to us, made us too much money. We have to protect him from getting hurt financially.' That was classy of him. But what's happening now to our game, this hurts."

"Guys are talking now about starting up the World Hockey Association again?" he says. "That's the same WHA with the $10 million salary cap? And some players took jobs in the Eastern League, with a cap of $500 a week? But they don't want one in the NHL? Boggles my mind. If you believe in no cap, then how can you play in a league that has one? Besides, the union already has said it will accept a cap."

Boggles a lot of people's minds Wayne. You are not alone.

I found it interesting that he feels Canadian fans will flock to see replacements. But then again it makes perfect sense. They love THEIR game. And afterall, it the name on the front of the jersey that matters, not the one of the back.

LETS GO DEVILS! Whomever you may be. :evil:

I've seen other posters do the same exact thing Scott. I know you're trying to be funny and I generally like your posts. But why am I any different from anyone else?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just busting your chops cause you did it twice in like 2 minutes.