All things considered going into the break

LOTCB

I admit I thought and still believe they are done this year (when I say done in Yankees terms I mean making the WS)....but all thing$ considered....for as streaky as the Yankees have been...only 2 out of the lo$$ column at the break is nothing.

Other notes:

For all the talk and E$PN rejoicing about Rivera early on, he is simply been brilliant since then...sorry E$PN, Rivera isnt done after all.

Giambi is really gaining confidence at the plate, granted he will never been once he once was, but at least he isnt an automatic walk/out nowadays.

Looks like the infusion of young talent has helped the Yankees....younger players do not have the huge egos (most of the time anyway)...and they are hungry to play, i think this also rubs off on the vets...you MUST have a good mix of young talent and vets to win.

Pitching remains a concern, Randy still getting hit hard, Pavano, who knows, and Kevin Brown...well who really knows what they will get out of him.

Well the Orioles were never going to keep up their early pace after they lost Bedard and Javy, etc. Boston's bullpen issues have come back to bite them after it looked like they were going to pull away a couple weeks ago, so the other teams came back to the pack. And it's ironic when the Yankees do go on one of their rolls a hot streak by a first baseman has a lot to do with it (Tino early in the year, Giambi now).

In other pre-All-Star thoughts:

-The Mets are about exactly where I expected them to be .500, some good wins some bad losses. The bad part is that I didn't expect Floyd to do what he's done, Piazza to stay healthy, the starting pitching to do as well as it's done (led by Pedro who's returned to being great) and Hernandez doing as well as he's done as a setup guy. Why is that bad? Because all of those were question marks going into the season, all have been answered positively and the Mets are STILL .500. Beltran of course has been a huge dissapointment. And people may like Willie, but can he bat Wright in the middle of the order PLEASE? Enough with this hitting seventh crap.

-It's July and who has any idea who the NL Wild Card is going to be? About the only think we do know is the Cubs will find a way to blow it :lol: Hell the AL Wild Card is a free-for all now too but at least it's a free-for all between good teams :P

-It's amazing how the White Sox get overshadowed by the Cubs, their drought is almost as long yet the Cubs at .500 get more attention nationwide than the Sox do. I think the White Sox do have a chance this year though with that pitching and playing fundamentally sound baseball. But Boston, Anaheim, the other AL teams are tough too.

-I've never been a fan of his but I gotta give Billy Beane his props this year, first off I thought he traded the wrong pitchers but he kept Zito around and Zito's returned to form and been better than Mulder and Hudson have been for their teams. Plus he traded Mulder and Hudson and the pitching hasn't skipped a beat after some early growing pains, they're one hitter away from being a playoff contender.

-Normally I do not bother with watching the HR Derby (or the All-Star game itself for that matter, home-field BS or not) but I would have watched it if Ichiro was in it, too bad his 'legend' of putting on BP displays will have to remain legend for another year :P

-Speaking of the All-Star game, if they're going to tie something 'meaningful' to it like home-field, then dispense with the fan vote and dispense with the rule that one player has to go from every team. You want to make it a meaningful game? Treat it like one. I'd rather not make the All-Star game a meaningful game though, I'd keep letting the fans decide the starters and the managers decide the reserves (though from what I understand this year, the managers and players had an equal hand in it? Now I don't get the process :P ).

Good point about the A's....I left them for dead as well....but still here they are at .500 at the break and in the mix forthe WC....A's get it done...

As for the Mets...they are just a hard team to figure out...they walk into Washington and take 3 of 4, and then that loss on Friday was just a hard one to swallow for the Mets...if I were the Mets, they still need another bat in that lineup, and they need to decide where exactly they are going to bat Reyes.

As for the All-$tar game, I havent watched it in years, that wont change this year. Im antii-All Star game in every sport.

Eh, I'd rather the Mets just dump Glavine for whatever they can get (close to the deadline so it almost coincides with getting Trachsel back), maybe trade Cameron for fill in the blank - first base, young starting pitcher and/or reliever. Although from what I understand the Mets 'might' be giving Victor Diaz some work at first base in AAA so there wouldn't be as much of a point to moving Cameron for a first baseman if Diaz somehow became the first baseman.

But of course the Mets will probably be buyers at the deadline, even if they're not really in the race it is kinda important that the Mets finish with a winning record and build some momentum for next year and their new network. Just so long as they don't go nuts I can live with it, as much as Zambrano's suprised me these last couple months, I still don't want any more Kazmir trades :P

BTW imagine where the Mets would be if they had gone through with that asinine Cliff Floyd-Sammy Sosa trade this offseason :blink: There's one guy that you can point to post-testing and say 'uh oh' :lol:

Edited by Hasan4978

Diaz has already played a handful of games at first at AAA.

I think the Mets will look to move Glavine for whatever which is good because he only hurts the rotation and they can do just as well with Trachsel or Heilman going there and some team may take a shot on Glavine just cause he is a lefty. Especially if he is traded to a team that doesn't have Questec in their stadium.

Has: -It's amazing how the White Sox get overshadowed by the Cubs, their drought is almost as long yet the Cubs at .500 get more attention nationwide than the Sox do. I think the White Sox do have a chance this year though with that pitching and playing fundamentally sound baseball. But Boston, Anaheim, the other AL teams are tough too.

Totally agreed. They are so overshadowed by the Cubs no matter what they do. Even when they have the best record in baseball and play a fun kind of ball relying on small ball, good pitching and clutch hitting, they still don't get much love.

And it all stems from one thing a long time ago. 1919 Black Sox scandal.

Agreed also about the A's. It's amazing because they looked dead and buried like 16 or 17 under a while ago. Then started playing better ball. Seems like they always do this. Haren already is good. They got back Crosby (what's in a name?) and Harden. And the new closer Hudson Street is good. Duschsberger is a nice setup man. And finally, their new potential star Nick Swisher has been swinging a hot bat since returning from injury. They are back competing and Chavez hasn't done much. Kendall has no HRs.

Clown, you're not coming back are you :lol: ? I look at this Yankee team and find them a lot more fun to watch and it's all due to the kids. They give them that spark. Imagine that. A Yankee team dependant on rookies. They better not trade any of them.

Boston and Baltimore had their chance to run away with this division. Now, the Yanks should be in it till the end. Whoever doesn't win the division is in trouble.

My gut feeling is there just isn't enough on this team in the pitching department to get them to the postseason. The bullpen is a mess. And so is the starting rotation. When a surprising rookie is your most reliable starter, that's not exactly a good sign.

The Mets are a weird team. They looked good over a month ago when I made that post. But also, no one had made a move in the division race. Since then, both the Nationals and Phillies have put some distance between themselves and the Marlins, Mets and Phillies.

Reyes is an exciting player but he still makes some rookie mistakes as does Wright. Wright should be batting in the middle of the order as Has said.

Wright will be great. I see him as the next Rolen and once he straightens out the routine plays, a Gold Glove could be in his future.

If I were them, it depends on the Braves series. Those four games could go a long way to whether the Mets are buyers or sellers at the deadline. If they lose 3 of 4, then they should unload Glavine and get what they can back.

Mets could really use a better hitting and fielding first baseman. Enough with playing Marlon Anderson and Jose Offerman (can't believe he still plays) out of position. I will tell ya who would be a great fit. Sean Casey. Good hitter with some pop and can field. Cost would probably be a couple of arms and a prospect.

Beltran has been playing thru injury. But still, why is it he provides most of his offense when Pedro pitches?

Has: -It's amazing how the White Sox get overshadowed by the Cubs, their drought is almost as long yet the Cubs at .500 get more attention nationwide than the Sox do. I think the White Sox do have a chance this year though with that pitching and playing fundamentally sound baseball. But Boston, Anaheim, the other AL teams are tough too.

Totally agreed. They are so overshadowed by the Cubs no matter what they do. Even when they have the best record in baseball and play a fun kind of ball relying on small ball, good pitching and clutch hitting, they still don't get much love.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Worse than the curse of the Bambino. I say GO WHITE SOX! :dance:

It's finally a good year for me again, as a White Sox fan. B ) 's been a while.

They could essentially play .500 ball the rest of the year and still have 90+ wins. Not bad for a team that has never gotten any credit, even though they've made some key moves. Traded Carlos Lee to the Brewers, even though he's a great power hitter -- but they got Scott Podsednik out of the deal, and he's provided a new element to their offense. The pitching is receiving its accolades this year (and that's after they let Loaiza and Colon go), though I wish Contreras would get his stuff together consistently. Jermaine Dye has been solid for them, Konerko has been piling up the offensive numbers, and how about Frank Thomas coming back and having 10+ homers at the break?

Plus, Ozzie Guillen has done great things... except for the game ESPN televised earlier in the year when he was stubborn and refused to bring in Hermanson... that had me screaming at the TV.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's definitely part of it, but also the White Sox don't have the colorful history of spectacular chokes that the Cubs do (1945, when the Billy Goat thing started, 1969 when they blew a 9 game lead against the Miracle Mets, 1984 when they blew a 2-0 lead in the NLCS and of course 2003 with Bartman), they've never been in the playoffs all that much to choke. 1959, 1983, a couple times in the 90's and every year they lost unremarkable playoff series.

The Cubs also have Wrigley's ivy and day games, they're definitely one of the most romanticized teams in sports.