League still considering bigger nets

Rock

League still considering bigger nets

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

Bob McKenzie

7/12/2005

Imagine how a goal scorer like that Rick Nash would feel about shooting on those big net prototypes that the NHL has been considering.

I'm not here to tell you that the NHL is definitely going to use big nets for this coming season because that decision has not been made. But I am here to tell you that the door has not been closed on using those big nets in this coming season.

So much so that the NHL is checking around logistically to find out what it would take to quickly refit the existing arenas in the NHL with big nets. They're also checking to see if they can manufacture enough big nets quickly enough to be ready to go in October.

I'm not saying they will do that but the conventional wisdom is that they'll go to all the other rules changes they've got on the table and try those for a year. But if they don't work, then they may go to the big nets so the door hasn't been closed on that big net possibility for this coming season.

Also, everyone is wondering about how the ratification will be completed. Once the agreement between the NHL and the NHLPA is done, I have to believe the ratifications will either happen simultaneously or the Players' Association vote will happen before the NHL Board of Governors for the simple reason that when the NHL ratifies this, they want to put a giant bow on it. They want to say, 'the deal's ratified, the new CBA is in effect, let's do the draft lottery right now' and hear all the new rules and start turning the page to the new world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a story out there that NHL tough guy Jim McKenzie so dislikes the new deal that he is running around threatening other members of the NHLPA that if they don't vote against it in ratification he's going to take care of them.

The guy who is most upset about that rumour being out there is Jim McKenzie himself. I talked to him Tuesday and he said nothing could be further from the truth.

A - He doesn't know what's in the deal.

B - He doesn't know how he's going to vote.

C - As much as he's loyal and supports Bob Goodenow, there is not question he has got enormous respect for the executive committee and he says that he would never in a million years do anything to undermine the work that is going on with Trevor Linden and that entire committee.

He just wanted it on the record that it is not an issue. He's not threatenig anybody, he says he is only interested in taking care of himself but can't do that until he sees the deal.

Case closed.

(1) Whoever started the Jim McKenzie rumour should be tarred and feathered.

(2)

As much as he's loyal and supports Bob Goodenow, there is not (sic) question he has got enormous respect for the executive committee and he says that he would never in a million years do anything to undermine the work that is going on with Trevor Linden and that entire committee.

That's telling, isn't it. That seems to insinuate that Bob wants the deal rejected while Trevor Linden want the new deal passed. I think we all knew that, but that is the first confirmation of it.

Don could it be the Good guy vs Bad guy strategy and in fact Goodenow and Linden plus players committee are working a strategy that they think they need at this time?

Time will tell who will lose his job, Bettman or Goodenow or both. I vote both for what they have done negatively to the NHL.