Laffs Fans Take on Lou Lams

Jimmy Leeds

Gotta love Leafs fans. First off, Friesen's qualifying offer is over $2 million so wouldn't compensation involve a first round pick? If they want him they can have him for that price. (EDIT: Just checked, actually compensation for $2-3 million players is a first AND a third-round pick)

Second off, how much cap room do THEY have to make all these offers? Last I checked they had to sign 10 players for $7 million, or 7 players for 10 million, either way I don't see a lot of room for them to go worrying about our players :P Plus I would doubt you could sign more than one player to the same type of contract, since compensation's a second round pick for $1-2 million RFA's, I don't think you could get away with offering five contracts and losing your 2nd round pick for 5 years.

Edited by Hasan4978

Am I missing something. Aren't the RFA qualifying offers already figured into the cap? So the leafs are going to sign one of our restricted free agents becausue we won't be able to match their offer? To sign one of the guys the leafs will have to offer one of the RFA"s over market value, compensate the devils, and I'm not sure if we would have right to match offer(is that still in effect?).

I understand Lou's hands may be a little tied, but I don't see how any GM is in REAL trouble this way. And I'm actually suprsed that philly did it first, and not many teams to my knowledge have tried this aproach.