Baseball team in northern NJ?

Super 17

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

"As of now, the Marlins are entertaining calls from other markets. Samson didn't mention any specific cities or areas, but he noted that the places that expressed interest when the Montreal Expos relocated to Washington are likely candidates.

Las Vegas, northern New Jersey, Portland, Ore., Monterrey, Mexico, and Northern Virginia are likely choices."

What do you think?

Edited by Super 17

The Yankees and Mets will never allow it. Wash/Balt is different since they are further apart and two distinct markets.

Portland, OR would be a good spot or maybe Montreal (j/k)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How can the Yankees and Mets not allow it? 2 different States.

I don't understand why teams end up in the over saturated market of Northern Jersey, (how many teams do you NEED in the metro NY area for gods sake) when you could stick a team somewhere between Monmouth and Ocean in a gold mine of family population who would love nothing more than to spend their money on a days outing with their kids. For years its always been us driving an hour to Philly, an hour to NYC, an hour to AC,..let them drive a damn hour to us, put a team out here in the burbs where theres a hell of a lot less traffic. :)

Maybe I'm crazy but I say put any major league team out in like, Jackson..and watch 'em thrive in a hungry for entertainment central Joisey.

We don't have the population here to support major league sports.

There are only about a million people in the greater Monmouth-Ocean area and you won't be able to pick a location that is convenient for everyone since this area is so spread out.

Jackson, which you suggested, is not convenient at all to Eastern Monmouth county which is where most of the people live.

I am talking with no facts to back this up so correct me if I am wrong...but I doubt Vancouver would have a large baseball fanbase.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

true, I don't think it'll be a great baseball town, but better than Florida. They do a good job supporting an NHL and CFL team right? There aren't any baseball markets left. No player wants to play in Mexico, Vegas is a vacation town in the middle of nowhere. With Vancouver they could at least pull in 28,000-30,000 as opposed to 9,000 in Florida.

I don't understand why baseball in Miami doesn't work. It's the 6th largest city area in the country.

Other cities that could work for a baseball team (not counting MLB home territory rules).

Portland, OR

San Jose, CA

San Antonio, TX

Columbus, OH

Nashville, TN

Eastern LA Suburbs (which are much further from LA than North Jersey is from the city).

There *WAS* talk of moving the Expos to Vancouver, but there wasn't enough interest by investors.

I think the Marlin's should go to Montreal. Jeff Loria did everything in his power to put the Expos under - he owes the city a baseball team given what he did. And it looks like he's doing the exact same thing with the Marlins. If you want someone to come in and destroy your baseball team so that it is on the verge of bankruptcy and then try to move it - Jeff Loria is your man.

Petey is right about the location in central/souther Jersey not an option. If a team moves in to Jersey, they move to Northern Jersey where there is a larger population base to draw from.

(funny how this hasn't helped the Devils attendance at all) :ph34r:

In any case, I know nothing of MLB deals like this, but wouldn't it be up to MLB and not the Yankees and Mets? AFAIK, They would only need to pay off the Yanks and Mets and be done with it, like the Devils did in '82.

Yes they would need to "pay off" the Yankees and Mets and that would cost supreme dollars. Look at how much MLB had to pay Angelos to get a team in DC. And that's just DC. One of the reasons it has taken so long to find a buyer for the Nationals has been what that owner would then owe to Angelos. To get another team in the NYC area would be prohibatively expensive.

No way northern NJ gets a MLB team. First of all what fan base would they get??? Would they really think they could grab away some people from the Yankees or Mets??? :doh1:

No way this happens...maybe another minor league baseball team would work but no way a MLB team moves to Jersey, not unless the Yankees or Mets are moving.

Plus I also heard the Carolina's could be getting the Marlins as well. Just something their news was reporting last week.

Edited by emptynet

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

On Nov. 22, Samson announced that the Marlins have been granted permission from Major League Baseball to seek relocation. Samson did not confirm the cities that have made contact, but already officials in Portland, Ore., and East Rutherford, N.J., have confirmed they've made contact. Puerto Rico also has expressed interest.

It would never work. I think the Devils and Nets are the best examples of that. Even when they succeed they don't draw well. And that's hockey/basketball, baseball fandoms generally run deeper, especially around here. It would cost hundreds of millions of dollars to buy off the Yankees and Mets. It just wouldn't be profitable. Now, if they were going to put a team in Manhattan then maybe I could see it....

the same problems the Devils and Nets have with infrastructure and drawing fans will only be worse with a baseball team since that involves more people and more games. You can't compare then to the Giants and Jets because they are the only football teams in the area and football is just once a week.

Baseball fandoms around here run deep. For example, my family has been Yankee fans since the 1920's. We aren't just going to stop being Yankee fans because there is a team in north jersey now. I am sure that is more the rule than the exception.

I am sure that you are right, there are people who are or have been Yankee or Met fans for a very long time, and they won't stop any time soon. But you have to figure that when new teams move in to an area they get fans from somewhere.

And sure the Devils don't pull good attendance for the games. And maybe their fan base is small. But we've done okay. We are not in danger of closing up shop here. We haven't failed as a team in drawing fans.

All I'm trying to say is that it can work if they try. It's not as simple as move a team to East Rutherford and go. It takes time and good marketing.

We aren't? Do you remember how close we came to moving to Nashville? If we hadn't been good these last ten years I have no doubt that we would have moved. A baseball team here would be competing directly with the Yankees and Mets which takes crazy money. I'm not saying it would be Expos-esque attendance for a baseball team here just that it would not be worth the investment needed to build a ballpark and pay off the Mets and Yankees. Especially when there are more attractive options like Portland or Vegas available.