Resumes

sammyk

Mine wasnt so hot, but i got lucky, my aunts company finds jobs for people relocating and her boss went through it for me.. then my current boss went through it and made suggestions when I was talking about job searching again.

But I am HORRIBLE at them, i jsut wanted you to know that and give you lots of useless information

One of the great bonuses about my company is as soon as you start - they re-write your resume for you. Suddenly my career choices sound far more interesting and important than ever have been. I would suggest trying the Texas Workforce center - they are actually very helpful at polishing them and doing mock interviews - the branch up in Georgetown is great.

Sammy...maybe you can go to your university.. if ya had one? My old college still offers services for alumni..on their website etc,

I knew if i thought for a second id be a little more useful

Mine has a website that i can access services like that for.

lg, I haven't been to school in years.

me either..6...ut they still offer the services cause im an alumni.. thought if ya looked into it ya may find something similar.

As with everything else in this world things change. Before an impressive well stocked resume was what got you in. Now though they say to keep it short and sweet. I recently had a work related seminar that dealt with this. Some good advice....list no more then 10 attributes about yourself, list only jobs you have had that pertain to this one ie. they dont care if you worked as a janitor they, are looking for a computer tech. Do not over embellish it's long and boring and people don't give a poo. Anyway they must be super anal to ask for a resume for an internal opening....fun for you!

You'd think I'd be good at it but I like what I like, you know? I find that what people look for in a resume is what they need. it sucks -- they look for key words... but that's not the point of this though is it. If you have an objective make it relative to the career track the new position takes you in... even then it's risky... I'd leave that out.

Put in all relevant experience and skill sets and leave off what you know your company doesn't need or value. Is it the sort of job your supervisor would be cool with you moving for? because like it or not that's your top reference no matter what company policy may be.

frankly you're in the best position to know the best resume. You're smart creative artisitic and intuitive... what can anyone here add other than affirming what you know to be good?

and if they don't like what you know to be good... then you know they're an idiot as you sort of suspected all along -- they are writing on a message board afterall... what kind of loser does that?

PK, I didn't really need help with the content of my resume, but the layout. I felt the way I had it made it looked too cluttered with too many lists. I wanted it more summarized.

The one interviewing is not my direct supervisor but he still has authority over me and my supervisor (our group is split into two teams) is encouraging me for the position.

I heard there is a lot of competition so we'll see.

Doesn't really change my advice any. you can send it to me at pepperkorn67@yahoo.com. I'll tell you if I can read it and how it compares to everything out there.

Since I'm HR I'll certainly have seen more current resumes than most! :uni: We're looking for a Scientific Programmer and a Sys admin -- feel like moving back to Jerz?

Nah... I'm just a big pessimist -- you'll do what you want with your resume no matter what anyone says . I've been enlisted to help enough to know no one listens they just want you to support their choices -- I'm jaded huh?

Edited by Pepperkorn

Did ya have the interview today?

i hate demo lessons... especially when they are 5 administrators and you have to pretend they are students and they throw these scenarios at you that would never happen!!

Edited by langsgirl