Favorite "Various Artists" albums

Don

My personal favorites are:

Pump Up The Volume Soundtrack - Okay, the soundtrack is missing all the Leonard Cohen songs actually used in the movie, but it does start out with an absolutely beautiful cover of "Everybody Knows" by Concrete Blonde. Kick Out the Jams, Stand by Liquid Jesus, some early Soundgarden... it's amazing that such a mix of Leonard Cohen songs, UK jams, rap and ballads works so well together. I'll throw this album on repeat at the start of a work shift and turn it off when I leave.

Oh What a Feeling (Volume I and II, waiting for the price on III to come down) - Best of Canadian artists. Don't roll your eyes. This is actually a damn good collection. Songs I had enjoyed and didn't even know they were Canadian. It goes from the well known (Guess Who, Steppenwolf, Bryan Adams, BNL, Alanis, Anne Murray, Leonard Cohen, Celine Dion, Sarah McLachlan) to the one hit wonders (Rise Up - Parachute Club, Sometimes When We Touch - Dan Hill). Each volume is a collection of 4 CDs and they tried to separate them into genres (all the 70s rock on one CD, 80s and 90s rock on another, country on another and pop on the fourth, but I just set it up to play the songs at random. IN FOUR CD'S THERE ISN'T A SINGLE SONG I SKIP OVER.

"Due South" soundtrack - I liked the show. It wasn't my favorite, but if it was on I'd watch. But my favorite part of the show was how they mixed in VERY, VERY good music into the story. The chase scenes or the dramatic scenes didn't have this fake stock music in the background. I notice that "Cold Case" is doing the same thing now... using good music to set the mood for the beginning and end of their stories. This soundtrack has some of "Due South"s best music choices. Since the music is supposed to be background music, it makes this album a good album to lay back and relax to.

"Tower of Song: The Songs of Leonard Cohen". I liked this album more than "I'm Your Fan: The Songs of Leonard Cohen", not because it was done by more commercial singers, but rather how they gave the songs to the perfect performers. I always thought "Bird on a Wire" should have been sung by Willie Nelson. Tori Amos's version of "Famous Blue Raincoat" is beautiful. Peter Gabriel has the perfect voice for "Suzanne". Billy Joel does a nice lounge room version of "Light as a Breeze" and it seems so perfectly natural.

"Contact". Songs that you would associate with hockey. Songs that they overplay between faceoffs. The "Hockey Night in Canada" theme as played by the Shuffle Demons in a way only the Shuffle Demons can... awesome stuff. Of course, the "Goodbye" song. There is a song called the "Hockey Song", but it's not the Stompin' Tom version unfortunately. It's actually a completely different song.. but it's funny... and what makes it even funnier is that the guy singing sounds like Wayne Gretzky. :D But I do like the collection of faceoff songs as well (Final Countdown, Hit me with your Best Shot, Rock 'n Roll Part II).

Edited by Don

i'm a big fan of the dead man walking sound track...2 wonderful tom waits songs, bruce's dead man walkin, and eddie's collaboration with nusrat fateh ali khan are all the stand out tracks for me, but i've always felt like the entire album is very solid. especially since a lot of the songs were made for the movie rather than a throw in of random famous songs...

cameron crowe makes some really great sound tracks, jerry maguire probably being number one...i'd put almost famous as one, but they didn't include certain songs i really wish they did.

this isn't a various artist one...but neil young made a soundtrack for the johnny depp movie deadman and i've always liked that. just neil making some crazy ass sounds with that guitar and occasional random johnny depp mumbling and such.

the high fidelity sound track was somewhat of a let down...

i loved the resevroir dogs sound track...quentin tarintino is another director who makes some damn good sountracks...

that's all i can think of at the moment...

Any more info on this? Would like to order this for my aunt. Thanks.

I saw it in Walmart a couple weeks ago. I imagine it would be in any music store....

And there's always post-909-1155431924_thumb.gif

:noclue: *wishing I saw LOULAM1's siggy prior to the awards nominations.*

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."

George S. Patton

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

George S. Patton

Nice! :thumbsup:

Edited by Masked Fan

Oh What a Feeling (Volume I and II, waiting for the price on III to come down) -

The price came down. I found it on sale for $25. Probably could have built 80% out of the songs I already have on the iPod, but the money is going to charity, so what the heck. But I am a wee bit confused.... they have "Dreamboat Annie" by Heart on here. I didn't think Heart was Canadian. :huh:

The price came down. I found it on sale for $25. Probably could have built 80% out of the songs I already have on the iPod, but the money is going to charity, so what the heck. But I am a wee bit confused.... they have "Dreamboat Annie" by Heart on here. I didn't think Heart was Canadian. :huh:

Perhaps they considered Heart "honourary Canadians" because the band was formed in Vancouver and first gained popularity in Canada with "Dreamboat Annie" on a Canadian label?

(Info from http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/heart/bio.jhtml)

Edited by RowdyFan42

Only own one...(that I can remember, all my CDs are still in my parents attic in good ol' Blighty), and that is the "Help" album, in aid of warchild. Has the Manics doing a cover of "raindrops keep falling on my head", that was enough for me to get it (not that I knew it til I got it home since it was made without a tracklisting).

Only own one...(that I can remember, all my CDs are still in my parents attic in good ol' Blighty), and that is the "Help" album, in aid of warchild. Has the Manics doing a cover of "raindrops keep falling on my head", that was enough for me to get it (not that I knew it til I got it home since it was made without a tracklisting).

"Tom Petty loves Veruca Salt"? :huh: But I do like the sound of most of the songs on there (especially the Stone Roses track) so I'll likely pick it up. Besides, good cause.

Rowdy, put a space before the second paren so we can click it. :P

Bloody hell! I could've sworn I checked that before it posted! :doh1:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I don't own too many compilations. I have Dr. Demento's 20th, 25th and 30th anniversary double-albums, a few of the WOW CDs from the late '90s when I was into Christian music (each year a double-album is released of the top 30 CCM -- Christian contemporary music -- songs of the year), and... I think that's it. I can't say any of them rank among my most-played albums, though I do have my favorites from the various Dr. Demento releases.

"Tom Petty loves Veruca Salt"? :huh: But I do like the sound of most of the songs on there (especially the Stone Roses track) so I'll likely pick it up. Besides, good cause.

Stone Roses track is on "Second Coming", they didn't actually record a "new" track for the album...they are lazy. (Probably one of my all time favourite albums......love "Good Times" and "Ten Story Love Song")

Just found the album in Winamp...has been ages since I listened to it. I so miss having the actual CDs, I swear I hardly listen to any of my music now (mostly cos my boyfriend thinks a large proportion of it is crap..and I like most of his music). I hate having them all as MP3s on the computer, so hard to find stuff.

EDIT: you can check out some of the songs here

Edited by ThreeStars

I so miss having the actual CDs, I swear I hardly listen to any of my music now (mostly cos my boyfriend thinks a large proportion of it is crap..and I like most of his music). I hate having them all as MP3s on the computer, so hard to find stuff.

The iPod is your friend. :)

I am too cheap....and I am never really alone except at school, where I am in my office with my computer. I just miss having my wall of CDs...it was present in my life for so many years...not to mention all my vinyl :( I miss my stuff.

Ooooh, oooh, I do own a soundtrack album "South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut" :D

Oh and I have just found some other various albums:

The Best Punk Album in the World Ever Vol. 2 (I love this album)

The Grandfathers of Britpop (and this one)

The Best Sixties Album in the World Ever

I was at the Amnesty International Benefit Concert in 86 at Giants stadium. Searched Google and didn't see anything as it was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Did find the Police have the 40 minute set live, but looking for U2 and Peter Gabriel as Biko was amazing. Is the compilation out there?

:hail:

Come Sail Away - Eric Cartman:

Artist: Southpark

Song: Eric cartman - come sail away

Album: South Park: Chef Aid

[" South Park: Chef Aid " CD]

I'm sailing away, set an open course for the virgin sea

I've got to be free, free to face the life that's ahead of me

On board, I'm the captain, so climb aboard

We'll search for tomorrow on every shore

And I'll try, oh Lord, I'll try to carry on

I look to the sea, reflections in the waves spark my memory

Some happy, some sad

I think of childhood friends and the dreams we had

We live happily forever, so the story goes

But somehow we missed out, on that pot of gold

But we'll try best that we can to carry on

A gathering of angels appeared above my head

They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they did

They said come sail away, come sail away

Come sail away with me

*you guys*

Come sail away, come sail away

Come sail away with me

come sail away with me

*ya guys had it*

come sail away with me

*yeaaaaah!*

*yayayayaya*

I thought that they were angels, but to my surprise

They climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Singing come sail away, come sail away

Come sail away with me

*wha you guys*

Come sail away come sail with me

*everybody now*

Come and sail away come sail with me

*yayayayaya*

Chef: make it funky now

*hey! you're screwin' around with my song!*

*hey!*

*what's goin' on?!*

(Chef: Come sail away, come sail away)

(Chef: Come sail away with me . . .)

*no! no! no! like this!*

*ah fvck it*

*goddammit!*

Come sail away. . . (Cartman singing frantically)