Newark, Devils OK arena deal

Rock

Newark, Devils OK arena deal

http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php?qstr=...3ZxZWVFRXl5Mg==

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

By JOHN BRENNAN

STAFF WRITER

NEWARK -- First-year Newark Mayor Cory Booker formalized an arena truce between his city and the New Jersey Devils on Monday and reiterated his push for Governor Corzine to close Continental Arena.

But a Corzine representative seemed to suggest Continental isn't doomed yet.

"We have no information to suggest that both arenas can't be viable," Corzine spokesman Brendan Gilfillan said. "We hope they both can thrive."

"We haven't drawn any conclusions yet, because we haven't seen any data to support one view or another," he added in a later phone call.

The comments from the Democratic governor's office -- while far from definitive -- conceivably could provide a boost in Bergen County for Democratic candidates Bob Menendez and Dennis McNerney a week before the election.

Corzine's only extended public discussion of the issue came as a gubernatorial candidate in September 2005. Corzine suggested then that he would be inclined to close Continental Arena if Newark opened its arena -- an opinion not likely to be well-received among Bergen County voters of all political leanings.

But Booker contended Monday that it would be foolish for the state to have a pair of North Jersey arenas, each with nearly 20,000 seats.

"It's time for the state to step in now and realize that we should not have two arenas competing against each other that are nine miles away," Booker said. "As mayor, it is not my goal to be competing against other New Jerseyans."

Booker's view was disputed by George Zoffinger, who, as New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority president, oversees Continental Arena.

"We believe that, in fact, two arenas can survive in this market, as they do in other places," Zoffinger said. "We're looking forward to working with Newark to making them successful and us successful. It's my job to protect the jobs of over 1,500 people working at the Meadowlands while making us a more efficient operation."

Devils owner Jeffrey Vanderbeek said his new arena was well-positioned regardless of Continental Arena's fate.

"I'm not shying away from competition, and we expect to win those battles," Vanderbeek said.

Booker and Vanderbeek held a joint press conference to announce a deal that Booker said included enough givebacks from the Devils to turn their arena partnership into a satisfactory one.

"I was a critic, but today I am a Devils fan," said Booker just before Vanderbeek presented him with a personalized Devils jersey.

Booker, who replaced Sharpe James as Newark mayor in July, has complained that James should not have committed $210 million in city funds toward an arena, given the city's more urgent needs. But at the press conference, he took a different approach.

"This is not a time to look backwards, but to look forward," Booker said. "We need for this arena to succeed."

Vanderbeek and Booker both acknowleged that the three-month negotiations did not always proceed smoothly.

"It's said that adversity breeds togetherness -- if you get through it, that is, and we did," a smiling Vanderbeek said.

Booker estimated that the city's reclaiming from the Devils of a land parcel at the corner of Lafayette and Broad Streets was worth $3 million to $5 million. The city also gained the right to advertise events on the 4,800-square-foot LED screen on the side of the arena, additional free tickets for local youths, concession workers' right to unionize and an extra $125,000 annually from the Devils to maintain city parks.

In addition, the city no longer will have to exhaust its $210 million share of the arena costs before the Devils begin paying the rest of the construction cost. The final price is expected to be $365 million.

time to explode this fvcking dump in the Swamp and let me be the damn one to pull the switch, but I expect nothing less from the idiots who run this state who can't even figure out how to do construction properly... why should they do this right ???

the more I live here, the more I get pissed off at the sh!t stains in office... God help them if my commentaries in life EVER go poltical and I actually start wanting to know what is going on :P

on a lighter note.... is there any more rumbling about the Bets to brooklyn thing falling apart and them joining the Newark Club ??

What does that last sentence mean?

I'd imagine it means just what it says. That the Devils will need to start spending their share of the money even if the city has not spent all of theirs. The Devils share seems to have gone up to $155M now.

It's a good trade-off for the Devils. Giving money for parks and recreation, in addition to some PR space for Newark can help the Devils image overall in the city.

Who knows, perhaps the predominantly "urban" setting of Newark will give way to a very loyal and lucrative fan base...

Remember, Snoop Dog once wore a Springfield Indians jersey in one of his videos (Gin n' Juice I believe)...perhaps the Devs jersey will become the "new" thing among the urban youth...

Remember, Snoop Dog once wore a Springfield Indians jersey in one of his videos (Gin n' Juice I believe)...perhaps the Devs jersey will become the "new" thing among the urban youth...

I remember that! A few years before I had gone to a Capital District Islanders (Eek! :ph34r: ) game against Springfield, so I recognized the jersey right away. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why a rapper in Compton would wear the jersey for an AHL team in Massachusetts. :noclue:

Eith Cory Bookers support the Devils are much more likley to sell some more of their boxes. I'd be shocked if they reach 100% in sales for them but adding 1 or 2 more can easily pay for the Devils give backs over time.

Several months a go Vanderbeek said that 22 boxes had been sold already!

Eith Cory Bookers support the Devils are much more likley to sell some more of their boxes. I'd be shocked if they reach 100% in sales for them but adding 1 or 2 more can easily pay for the Devils give backs over time.

Several months a go Vanderbeek said that 22 boxes had been sold already!

[/quote

ive read that the devils have already had 48 boxes sold, and that was about as month and a half ago.