Rats/Lowell Devils

CRASHER

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh....ya coming to town CRASH? Or ya just talking about the Devs (who are gonna get their arses well and truely kicked ONCE AGAIN!)

CRASHER makes a yearly trip to Albany to see a Rats game...last year I came with him, ended up having a nice little after party with a couple other regulars like Rowdy, Fidgetess, mrsheeps and mrssheeps. It was good times haha

Did somebody say drunken debauchery? :evil: (No, not really. ;))

The way I see it, CRASHER's shutout streak applies to the Devils' AHL affiliate, not the Albany River Rats franchise. :dance:

(Eventually I will get used to the fact that my hometown team wears Carolina Hurricanes jerseys. :( Though it could be worse... the rumors that the Rats were going to hook up with the Rangers could've come true... :ph34r:)

Hey, for your information Mr. Crasher, we're closer to the playoffs than we've been in the past 7 years with the Devils :P

I'm up for Hill St after the game!

Closer only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and firebombs in Castlevania woman!! :evil:

So much for it all being the big bad evil Lou who only cares about the Pro Club neing the problem B )

You don't go to Albany without going to Hill St., that's a convictable offense even if you are an NFL or NBA player[/s[!!!

Hey, for your information Mr. Crasher, we're closer to the playoffs than we've been in the past 7 years with the Devils :P

I'm up for Hill St after the game!

HEY!!! Where the heck have you been? We missed you!

So much for it all being the big bad evil Lou who only cares about the Pro Club neing the problem B )

Hush, you. :P The Rats still have a chance to pass Bridgeport, and hopefully either Worcester or Portland will have a surge and knock Lowell out.

Hush, you. :P The Rats still have a chance to pass Bridgeport, and hopefully either Worcester or Portland will have a surge and knock Lowell out.

and I saw the AvsMonkeys called up two players recently too... wow that's gonna hurt your depth....

sucks to be you eh ??? :lol::hah:

ahhhh it's so much MORE FUN to be on the heel side of the fence B )

:angry: Yeah...it does suck. Stupid ruddy Colorado...couldn't the Canes just have loaned them one or two of their 9 (yes 9) Dmen they have on their NHL roster, rather than steal the Rats' best defense?

But hey...the Devils always play like crap at the Pepsi TUC so shouldn't be too much to worry about.....they did spend....how many years was it?.....playing like crap here...so......

Edited by ThreeStars

:angry: Yeah...it does suck. Stupid ruddy Colorado...couldn't the Canes just have loaned them one or two of their 9 (yes 9) Dmen they have on their NHL roster, rather than steal the Rats' best defense?

But hey...the Devils always play like crap at the Pepsi TUC so shouldn't be too much to worry about.....they did spend....how many years was it?.....playing like crap here...so......

Like i kept tellin y'all... the purpose of the AHL is NOT to win, but to give the big team 1-3 good players each season... any time a minor league team does that it did it's job! And ya shoulda known trouble was brewing when you have to rely on Carolina to stock half your team, though it still did sound ODD to hear the AvsMonkeys talking about Albany call-ups... must have been weird for McNabb too :lol:

As far as I know they were there like 13-14 years I think... though I blame the Ranger-like streak of playoff misses on the town B )

even goes more so to show if the L-Devs make the playoffs this year eh?? :koolaid:

Like i kept tellin y'all... the purpose of the AHL is NOT to win, but to give the big team 1-3 good players each season...

This just in, winning means nothing in the AHL... memo to David Andrews, cancel the playoffs, don't award the Calder Cup, obviously the team that wins it is doing something wrong... :rolleyes:

One would think a guy who used to be a Blackhawks fan would have a little more compassion for a fanbase that just wants to have a competitive team once in a while. We don't want to buy a Calder Cup like the Flyers did for the Phantoms back in the late '90s, we just want to look halfway-decent and to have a chance at making some noise.

even goes more so to show if the L-Devs make the playoffs this year eh?? :koolaid:

Yeah, it means Lou went out of his way to impress the Lowell fanbase and to give the finger to Albany... :puke:

Actually, that's just the bitterness talking. The New Jersey-Albany breakup came at the worst possible time. The team was getting better, all they needed was another year or two and they'd be respectable again. Patience just ran out in Albany. Also, Lowell's in a weaker division than Albany, so that helps the L-Devs out a bit. (And the Atlantic is easily the most incestuous division in the league; all they do is play against -- and beat up on -- each other. The New England teams don't like to travel.)

Just imagine the Rats next year then........all baby hurricanes :( (I think I'd rather they were baby avalanches)

Yeah, Cleveland's gonna be good next year. (EDIT: Sorry, "Lake Erie".) I'm a little wary of how the Rats will look, but hopefully the Canes will do this right.

Edited by RowdyFan42

I asked some Canes fan if they could give some info on Canes prospects, and what they felt the chances were that the Canes could flesh out an entire AHL roster....they seemed to think it was feasible, to some degree I think the Canes fans see the dual affiliation as kinda "stunting" their prospects...so may be they'll be OK next year.

This just in, winning means nothing in the AHL... memo to David Andrews, cancel the playoffs, don't award the Calder Cup, obviously the team that wins it is doing something wrong... :rolleyes:

One would think a guy who used to be a Blackhawks fan would have a little more compassion for a fanbase that just wants to have a competitive team once in a while. We don't want to buy a Calder Cup like the Flyers did for the Phantoms back in the late '90s, we just want to look halfway-decent and to have a chance at making some noise.

And again, the dynamic is DIFFERENT for a minor-league team then any sport.... more often then not winning is secondary to development of prospects and giving them proper time to play and DEVELOP, which can be done at the expense of winning for that franchise

Of course it can be done, and it obviously was done in Albany for a number of years. Also, minor-league fans understand (for the most part, even in Albany) that development is secondary to winning, but there's only so much losing you can take before you demand a change.

You want to talk about Wirtz and his business decisions, let's talk about Walter Robb and his business decisions. He can't control the players that are sent to him, but he can control who is sending them. Does he make the business decision to stick with an organization that couldn't care less if the team -- his business -- goes 0-80 while fans stay away in droves, causing the business operation to run the risk of failure, or does he make the business decision to change content providers and hope that the talent level is a little more balanced (or at the very least that the scrubs aren't quite so bad)?

I really don't think much is cared about the state of affairs in Lowell too cause this is just filler for Trenton... now when they get there, there is a small chance they focus on winning more, I still personally hope not... the L-Devils did their job this year with Pelley and Greene, I even liked what I saw from Fraser too

You seem to be fixated on this belief that if you try to win in the minors, it blows development to hell. The two concepts don't have to be mutually exclusive.

You seem to be fixated on this belief that if you try to win in the minors, it blows development to hell. The two concepts don't have to be mutually exclusive.

In fact, part of a prospect's development should be learning to win. Not to mention, perpetually losing in the AHL can be a big factor in driving an overseas prospect into packing it in an heading back home.

*coughAriAhonencough*

The tough part is the balancing act of bringing in enough veteran talent to win without seriously affecting the ice time of your top prospects.

The right veterans can also help the kids learn, similar to what we read about McGillis in Albany last season.

Yup. These days it's even harder to bring in enough and/or the right veterans to balance things out because of the AHL's asinine veteran rule, which states that a team can dress no more than 5 veterans per game. (You can carry as many as you want, but there's not much point in overdoing since only 5 can dress at once.) The league defines a veteran as "any player who has played, as of the start of the season, more than 260 regular-season games combined in the AHL, NHL, IHL, or any European elite league."

EDIT: The veteran rule doesn't apply to goalies, as far as I know.

Sometimes I wish the IHL would come back and Albany would get a team in that league instead. :argh:

Edited by RowdyFan42

http://www.lowelldevilshockey.com/theteam/...ps/gr030707.php

Devils Sink River Rats with Big Third Period, 4-3

Dan LaCouture scores twice in comeback win

LOWELL, Mass. - Dan LaCouture scored two goals, including the game-winner midway through the third period, to lead the Lowell Devils (30-24-5-3) to a 4-3 comeback victory over the Albany River Rats (28-27-3-2) Wednesday night at Tsongas Arena.

A quick-moving first period saw plenty of shots but only one goal. Matt Murley scored on the power play at 8:08 to give the visiting Rats a 1-0 lead. The two rookie goaltenders, Jordan Parise for Lowell and Justin Peters for Albany, made a combined 28 saves, and the Devils led in shots 15-14.

Lowell got on the board in the second, with LaCouture potting his fourth of the season and second in as many games, on a rebound chance in front of the net. The power play goal tied it at 1-1 at 10:30. Albany answered at 15:10 with Keith Aucoin