Janssen's Hit

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Janssen's Hit: late or Not  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Was Janssen's hit on Kaberle Late or not?

• Late
    • Not
    • Dirty but not late

I can't believe how many people are taking this thing over the top. We see Janssen hit people late in every single game. The only thing that makes this different is Kabarle not preparing himself to take the hit, and then when he finally sees it coming, his attempt to get out of the way just makes it worse than if he were to take the shoulder to shoulder hit. Instead, Cam missed his shoulder and as a result ended up coming up high.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not following you. If it's not late, how is it "mean spirited" or "bad intent[ioned]"? If it wasn't late, why should he have "let up"?

For that matter, how do you conclude it wasn't late, based on what measure? At least the rules provide some quasi objective measure in "immediately". What's your test, don't be mean spirited?

- Jeff

Edited by squishyx

So yes, he should have let up, regardless if kaberle had the puck or not, he was in a vunerable position.

I don't understand. Why should he have "let up" if the hit wasn't late? Kaberle wasn't in a particularly vulnerable position -- if he were, the suspension would have been for boarding, hitting from behind, etc. If a hit isn't late, it isn't interference, right? If a hit isn't late, the rules allow it (assuming it's not boarding, etc.), right? So why do you say the hit wasn't late but he still should have "let up"?

A late hit and a "mean spirited" one are totally different things.

Right, but "mean spirited" isn't in the rule book, or did I miss that one?

It's absurd the connection you are trying to make.

What connection would that be?

- Jeff

Edited by jsonnabend

Clueless...just keep playing hockey on your video games and keep thinking it wasnt a late hit.

So yes, he should have let up, regardless if kaberle had the puck or not, he was in a vunerable position. But no, it was not a late hit. This is based off every single hockey game i've witnessed over the last dozen years. I've never seen a hit 1.5 seconds after a player released the puck called for interference.

1. Kaberle didnt have the puck, actually when he got hit, the man he passed to ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ICE had it.

2. Cam saw he was in a vulnerable position by the boards, Cam never even looked to see if the pass was completed, he was intent on the hit no matter what happened.

2a. What if the pass was stolen by a Devil, Cam would have never known. He actually took himself OUT of the play by fully engaging.

3. What do 99.9% of hockey players do when they are lining up someone who is by an open bench door...THEY LET UP.

Edited by emptynet

He didn't want to hurt him. Why would you look at the puck when you're lining someone up for a hit? He hurt him because he wasn't prepared to take the hit at all because he wasn't paying attention to what was coming his way right in front of him and he fell awkardly into the boards because at the last possible moment he tried to get out of the way, which is the reason Janssen got his head instead of the shoulder.

He didn't wait for him to get near the boards, either. That's just where he happened to be when Janssen got to him.

A little bit late but how come Cam got suspended while Neil can escape????

Because Neil plays on Ottawa. A Canadian team.

The NHL has started to turn into a joke.

No question it was a late hit. However, you see players getting hit 1 or 2 seconds after playing the puck all the time in the NHL. All. The. Time. Normally I am not one to blame the victim, but Kaberle failed to do a couple of things:

1) Keep his head up

2) Realize who was on the ice with him at the time

3) Generally just protect himself

Melrose backs Jansenn up big time on sportcenter pretty much blaming it on kaberle for not being aware that Jansenn is on the ice. Nice having Melrose like us for something after he keeps picking Roberto Luango for the heart trophy over Brodeur. Plus his mullet is looking pretty slick these days so hes got that goin for him.

Melrose backs Jansenn up big time on sportcenter pretty much blaming it on kaberle for not being aware that Jansenn is on the ice. Nice having Melrose like us for something after he keeps picking Roberto Luango for the heart trophy over Brodeur. Plus his mullet is looking pretty slick these days so hes got that goin for him.

I have to agree with this. After watching it a few times, i think that it was borderline late. I agree there are hundreds of hits more than 1 second after the player releases the puck and I think the only reason this has been talked so much about it A) its kaberle B) he plays for toronto C) his proximity to the boards which caused his injury. I dont think Cam was head hunting in all honesty. It appeared that Kaberle was sort of in a transition stride which caused him to lower his head. We cant fault cam for hitting him clean with his shoulder but making contact with kaberle's head if it was lowered. As a result I dont think it was dirty per se, maybe a bit late but not dirty.

I also think at most it should have been a 1 game suspension. I think the nhl responded to the drury/neil incident (which they arguably blew, particularly if you go by the standards they applied to this incident) and used cam as an example. I would almost bet that if you didnt have the neil hit a week or two before this wouldnt even have been a suspension.

I don't understand. Why should he have "let up" if the hit wasn't late? Kaberle wasn't in a particularly vulnerable position -- if he were, the suspension would have been for boarding, hitting from behind, etc. If a hit isn't late, it isn't interference, right? If a hit isn't late, the rules allow it (assuming it's not boarding, etc.), right? So why do you say the hit wasn't late but he still should have "let up"?

Right, but "mean spirited" isn't in the rule book, or did I miss that one?

What connection would that be?

- Jeff

Clueless...just keep playing hockey on your video games and keep thinking it wasnt a late hit.

1. Kaberle didnt have the puck, actually when he got hit, the man he passed to ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ICE had it.

2. Cam saw he was in a vulnerable position by the boards, Cam never even looked to see if the pass was completed, he was intent on the hit no matter what happened.

2a. What if the pass was stolen by a Devil, Cam would have never known. He actually took himself OUT of the play by fully engaging.

3. What do 99.9% of hockey players do when they are lining up someone who is by an open bench door...THEY LET UP.