Gomez playing for us next year?

SC Devs Fan

Gomez playing for us next year?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Will Gomez suit up for us next year?

• Yes
    • No

wow, I am the only one with some hope to retain gomer so far it's 1/12.

I know some people dont want him back (I do want him to return personally), but I also dont believe we will be able to replace him with a true #1 center if we lose him (drury or briere are not likely).

I dont believe we will offer the amount he will command or that he has a desire to stay.Having said that, I think we are a better team with Gomer in the lineup and it will be hard to replace his talent and intangibles.I think his honesty and sense of humor will be missed. I will reserve judgement on his post - Devils hatred status once we see the outcome. :koolaid:

I dont believe we will offer the amount he will command or that he has a desire to stay.Having said that, I think we are a better team with Gomer in the lineup and it will be hard to replace his talent and intangibles.I think his honesty and sense of humor will be missed. I will reserve judgement on his post - Devils hatred status once we see the outcome. :koolaid:

I voted yes. Elias came back to us. In the end, he looked over all his options and he decided his best shot was still with us. Ya never know the teams that might offer gomez some great deal. Maybe it will be the team with almost no chance at a cup and he'll just assume not upset his entire life all his friends and he'll stay here knowing we ALWAYS have a shot at the cup.

I'm being hopeful although I have a feeling he wants out from under Lou and the defense system.

I hope he comes back he is arguably our best player next to marty.

:argh: i just dont know :argh:

Ill say this.. if he signs... im changing my long overdue holik jersey to GOmez

I have that same feeling and we all know Brian Burke will lure another key Devils players to Anaheim. Niedermayer to be team mates with Gomez once again. If this happens, Anaheim will be one scary team next season. They have a great team now. It also wouldn't suprise me if Burke goes for other players on the Devils as well.

I don't think Gomez will be here - for all the reasons people have stated in this thread and others - but I kind of doubt the Ducks have the cap room to sign him. They have 12 players under contract for next year for about $29.7M. I'm assuming they let Giggy-puff go and go w/Bryzgalov as the more economical goaltending option, since he's under contract, but who knows, maybe they try to re-sign Giggy-puff to something astronomical. In any case, Selanne needs to be signed, and his cap hit, after bonuses, because he signed a 1-year deal and he's over 35, was $6M. I figure he'll want something like that again. Say he goes for $5M. I included the $2.2M that is the Bobby Ryan cap hit, because people figure he'll make the team next year (that's including a very low estimated bonus attainment). So add in Selanne at about $5M, you put the bonus figures against the cap, although you can go 71/2% over and you are at $34.7, with 13 players under contract. They have 3 d-men signed. They need to get at least 3 more under contract, plus some more forwards. If they sign Gomez for $6.5M, then they at $41.2 with 14 players under contract.

They still need 9 more players, that's an average of about $640K per player and you have no cap room left. So no Giggy-puff and if Bobby Ryan makes more than you think on the Bonus (because he has 4.02 million per year and I put in less than half of it to be actually attained, I figure they will count it against the cap, go over to count it and then he won't attain it) then you are screwed next year on the cap hit for going over the cap.

So...how are they affording Gomez again???? To me, it's either Gomez...or Bobby Ryan.

it's a tough decision. i like scotty, he's a tough player and still scores, espec with the egg line, but it may be time to break that up. i'm sorry, but elias doesn't seem to play as hard as he should. i know he's been sick, but man it really seemed to affect the team. if we can get someone good for scotty or some draft picks, it may be the only way, but i woudln't mind if he stays. other than him, i think rafalski, dowd, rasmussen and martin should go. don't know what their contracts are, but we have to make some changes.

BTW, not so sure about the Canucks, either, they currently have 16 players under contract for next season, but for a total of $39.4M and change. Add in Gomez at $6.5M and that's 17 at $45.9M and change. Now, the best thing they could do if they really wanted to sign him and get some cap room is dump another relatively high-priced center who not nearly as useful to them, say, trading Morrison..which would clear $3.2M in cap room and get them to $42.7M, still not a great place to be, but better.

That leaves you with an average of 700K apiece to sign 6 more players if the cap is $47M, that leaves you with no cap room, but, if the cap is $48M, that's a little better, you could have about $1M in cap room left if you sign Gomez and dump Morrison for nothing but picks and a prospect.

I don't think Gomez will be here - for all the reasons people have stated in this thread and others - but I kind of doubt the Ducks have the cap room to sign him. They have 12 players under contract for next year for about $29.7M. I'm assuming they let Giggy-puff go and go w/Bryzgalov as the more economical goaltending option, since he's under contract, but who knows, maybe they try to re-sign Giggy-puff to something astronomical. In any case, Selanne needs to be signed, and his cap hit, after bonuses, because he signed a 1-year deal and he's over 35, was $6M. I figure he'll want something like that again. Say he goes for $5M. I included the $2.2M that is the Bobby Ryan cap hit, because people figure he'll make the team next year (that's including a very low estimated bonus attainment). So add in Selanne at about $5M, you put the bonus figures against the cap, although you can go 71/2% over and you are at $34.7, with 13 players under contract. They have 3 d-men signed. They need to get at least 3 more under contract, plus some more forwards. If they sign Gomez for $6.5M, then they at $41.2 with 14 players under contract.

They still need 9 more players, that's an average of about $640K per player and you have no cap room left. So no Giggy-puff and if Bobby Ryan makes more than you think on the Bonus (because he has 4.02 million per year and I put in less than half of it to be actually attained, I figure they will count it against the cap, go over to count it and then he won't attain it) then you are screwed next year on the cap hit for going over the cap.

So...how are they affording Gomez again???? To me, it's either Gomez...or Bobby Ryan.

If Anaheim wins the SC there are rumors that Selanne will retire. He would go out a SCC winner from what some of the Anaheim reports were saying when the playoffs began. If Selanne retires a SCC, there will be cap room for Gomez. I am also sure Burke would find the cap space or a loophole like Lou did to try to lure Gomez to Anaheim. It will be interesting to see where Gomez goes this off season.

I am hoping if the Devils lose Gomez, they go after Drury from Buffalo.

If Anaheim wins the SC there are rumors that Selanne will retire. He would go out a SCC winner from what some of the Anaheim reports were saying when the playoffs began. If Selanne retires a SCC, there will be cap room for Gomez.

Isn't Selanne 36 or 37... and wouldn't that mean even if he retires that they are stuck with the cap hit?

If Anaheim wins the SC there are rumors that Selanne will retire. He would go out a SCC winner from what some of the Anaheim reports were saying when the playoffs began. If Selanne retires a SCC, there will be cap room for Gomez. I am also sure Burke would find the cap space or a loophole like Lou did to try to lure Gomez to Anaheim. It will be interesting to see where Gomez goes this off season.

I am hoping if the Devils lose Gomez, they go after Drury from Buffalo.

If Selanne does retire that would do it. He's not a center, but that would free up the room. However, if you look at the roster, they don't have the kind of 'problems' that NJ had last year that would force the kind of 'loopholes' that Lou had to find. There are no players over 35 signed to multi-year deals that would need to be 'gotten off the cap'. So far, there are no players that need to go on LTIR that we know of. The most you can say is that if he decides to keep both goalies and sign Gomez, he could find himself in the situation NJ and Philly were in over the summer before the first season after the lockout - where you are over the cap during the summer but by less than 10%. And you have to trade someone to get under by the time the "in season cap" limit hits. Philly traded Roenick. Nj traded Friesen.

Isn't Selanne 36 or 37... and wouldn't that mean even if he retires that they are stuck with the cap hit?

He's signed to a 1-year deal, which is why he's bonus-eligible, and why his base contact is only a little over $3M but his cap hit is $6M.