Question about ratings in general

LOTCB

I DVR'ed the NHL Draft tonight. I have set the DVR for many of shows, including many playoff games as many of you know. Now if I factored into the ratings...does that count as the event being watched??? Do a lot of you TiVo or DVR the games???

I believe right now the DVR's don't count for ratings but Nielson either just has or is soon rolling out a system to count DVR viewings of programs as well.

I also am DVRing the program tonight. I wish I was a Nielson household. I would lie constantly and basically say I lived my whole life in front of my TV watching my favorite shows 24 hours a day.

Edited by Devils731

Der.. on the Nielsen thing

especially nowadays with everyone having a cable box or 4 in their house that has an IP address and the like... it's so much easier to see what people are really watching, but people get paranoid about it

and i'd think even then DVR's would not count, since ratings are mostly used for advertisers to sell commercial time too

Right now Nielsen is doing a seperate ratings system for TIV0/DVR users, but the assumption is that 70% of people will fast forward through the ads which will utlitmatly make these ratings less signficant, because the ratings are essentially to measure audience to establish ad rates.

When I left them, Nielsen didn't have to worry itself about Tivos and the like. However, if you recorded a program on your VCR, it was counted like it was viewed (otherwise, why record the show?). I would imagine it works the same way now. If you Tivo or DVR (or what have you) a program, that program is probably being counted as viewed.

I believe Nielsen counts you in the ratings if you TiVo a show and watch it within 24 hours of it's original airing.

After that, they still collect the information, but as of right now it doesn't count for anything.