Toronto's Troubles

Don

I just watched "The TSN Reporters" (a rip off show from "The ESPN Reporters") and they were discussing what is going on with the Leafs.

Why do they have an idiot president? Why do they have an idiot GM? Because they could finish 0-82-0 and still sell out each and every game with some of the most expensive tickets in the league. They are the most profitable team in the league with incredible amounts of corporate support. Their owners, Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment, is owned mostly by the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund. The board of the pension fund is only interested in whether the team is profitable. Win, lose or draw, the team is not just profitable, it's a gold mine. If the Leafs were winning, the change in profits is negligible, so why bother replacing the President and GM?

Personally, I think putting a team in Hamilton would be the best thing to happen for Leaf fans. Of course the Ontario teachers would cry foul because their cash cow would be jeopardized, but they would then have to look at putting a decent team on the ice. In most markets, a team would be forced to be competitive to increase fan attendance to increase profits. Without a market incentive to improve the team, Leaf fans will continue to suffer.

It's a nice idea Don, but having the Nets and 76ers nearby hasn't made the Knicks any less profitable and there is NO team in sports more poorly run then the Knicks (thank God!!! :dance: )

Competition doesn't always mean a threat to profit

Most Leaf fans are dead on about Leafs and wouldnt switch teams, i dont think it would really cut the profit too much

You and Crasher are probably right. There is a huge waiting list for tickets to see the Leafs. Forget Hamilton... they could put two NHL teams in the ACC!!

Since I'm obviously not a Leafs fan, I don't much care about their troubles. But I do have sympathy for them given that they have no means of putting any kind of pressure on their management to improve.

You and Crasher are probably right. There is a huge waiting list for tickets to see the Leafs. Forget Hamilton... they could put two NHL teams in the ACC!!

Since I'm obviously not a Leafs fan, I don't much care about their troubles. But I do have sympathy for them given that they have no means of putting any kind of pressure on their management to improve.

There's two baseball teams in Chicago.

Hasn't helped the Cubs any.

I think it's a spurious argument. The Rangers sucked when the Devils were great. The Islanders were great when the Rangers were floundering. The Rangers still sell out consistently and are the big draw.

If we were talking real products, this might be a halfway decent argument. Sports isn't run that way. A lot of people don't change their teams, win or lose.

Leafs fans really don't have it that bad...

2000 playoffs - lost in 6 games in the 2nd round to the Devils

2001 playoffs - lost in 7 games in the 2nd round to the Devils

2002 playoffs - lost in 6 games in the 3rd round to the Hurricanes

2003 playoffs - lost in 7 games in the 1st round to the Flyers

2004 playoffs - lost in 6 games in the 2nd round to the Flyers

2005 - missed the playoffs like everyone else did

2006 - missed the playoffs by 2 points

2007 - missed the playoffs by 1 point

Leafs fans can go cry me a river

Edited by Satans Hockey

I just watched "The TSN Reporters" (a rip off show from "The ESPN Reporters") and they were discussing what is going on with the Leafs.

Why do they have an idiot president? Why do they have an idiot GM? Because they could finish 0-82-0 and still sell out each and every game with some of the most expensive tickets in the league. They are the most profitable team in the league with incredible amounts of corporate support. Their owners, Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment, is owned mostly by the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund. The board of the pension fund is only interested in whether the team is profitable. Win, lose or draw, the team is not just profitable, it's a gold mine. If the Leafs were winning, the change in profits is negligible, so why bother replacing the President and GM?

Personally, I think putting a team in Hamilton would be the best thing to happen for Leaf fans. Of course the Ontario teachers would cry foul because their cash cow would be jeopardized, but they would then have to look at putting a decent team on the ice. In most markets, a team would be forced to be competitive to increase fan attendance to increase profits. Without a market incentive to improve the team, Leaf fans will continue to suffer.

First post, I'm a Devils fan living just outside of TO, and your post is quite good, except the bolded part.

A single SCF Leaf game would easily make MLSE 5+ mil. I assure you every member of the board would LOVE a long playoff run, but none of them have a clue how to do it.