88-76=12

Devilish34

Head injuries are much more serious then people think. It is also true that once you have a concusion you are more likely to get more in the future. Plus with successive head injuries you usually don't bounce back as quickly. I know this b/c I suffered a pretty severe head injury two years ago and when it happened was told I won't be back to "normal" for 2-3 years and now they changed that to 4-5 years but could have noticiable sporadic for an undertermined amount of time. The change was because they really just don't know enough about recovery. (For my injury think Mike Richter.)

Since my injury I have done lots of reading on head injuries and one thing hockey players have going for them is that they can take time off to recover. The best "medicine" for a head injury is just rest, especially in the days immediately following the injury. Unfortunately another problem with these injuries is you have good and bad days. The good days make you think you are totally normal and should be getting back to normal activity levels. I think this makes hockey players get back to the game before they are ready because they have a couple good days and can adjust their schedule so they are active a couple hours a day and rest the rest of the day. Plus I am guessing they get tons of pressure to get back quickly from the team, themselves and friends. WIth such a short career for most I am guessing they don't always think of long term effects.

Basically head injuries are no joke and unfortunately there just isn't enough known about them to really help people. I do think among professional sports, hockey is doing a good job at raising awareness and providing support. They should be mandating the safer helmets. SInce helmets are required I don't see it as a personal choice for players like wearing a visor.

Those are both true statements. I had a concussion in April and then another one about three months later. First thing I did after the second one was go out and buy a helmet with that EPP stuff, which has definitely saved me from at least one more since then. They may be pricey at around $100 or more, but you can't be too cheap when it comes to protecting your head. I have no idea why any pros wouldn't be using one of them since they don't even pay for their own equipment.

>CB6

Still used old foam helmet. They are half the protection EPP provides.

VN is not any worse than the EPP. THe only problem that the VN has is that once you take a hard it to the head, it cracks, ever so slightly, and is less protective from every hit.

VN is not any worse than the EPP. THe only problem that the VN has is that once you take a hard it to the head, it cracks, ever so slightly, and is less protective from every hit.

It absolutley is.... I don't have the link handy but there is that sports concussion center that some concussed player started years ago that did tests.

On of the problems with the foam was moisture saturation that quickly deteriorated the helmet, along with significantly less initial protection when new.

I'll try to look it up for you if you are interested.